Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

3 minutes ago, Whofan said:

And if on the subject of sublime '80's tv, may I throw in St Elswehere? The only tv hospital soap I know that featured ZZ Top.in an episode!

I've read up on the ending, and it's so mind-boggling for me I'm not sure I could fully appreciate the show. Same problem with Moonlighting, which struck me as brilliant and then apparently just fell apart totally.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I've read up on the ending, and it's so mind-boggling for me I'm not sure I could fully appreciate the show. Same problem with Moonlighting, which struck me as brilliant and then apparently just fell apart totally.

The snow globe ending was very, very odd. I don't mind admitting that. I remember feeling slightly put out, but hey - If  Dallas could run a whole series with Pam dreaming Bobby was dead, the snow globe ending doesn't seem so odd!

Moonlighting - excellent programme, but yes it id go astray a bit. I also liked Cybill, but that was '90's. Even so, any programme that features the divine Christine Baranski has tto be worth watching.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Possibly, but his face is an almost exact duplicate of the expression his mother has when she's undertaking a complex task. Curiously, he seems to have my personality (my childhood one, anyway, I was very exuberant and outgoing; nobody knows quite what happened).

Life.  Life happened. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

Been kinda drained this week. I've asked for a raise, let's see if I get it (likely not). On Tuesday, I took Winston to his first day of school:

33502349590_25a578eacd_b.jpg2017-04-07_12-05-59 by Edward IX, on Flickr

He seems to like it:

33730420342_cae46f438f_b.jpgimage by Edward IX, on Flickr

I was thinking when I saw this that the antichrist looks like quite a sweet child. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 6:22 PM, stevehnz said:

I was thinking when I saw this that the antichrist looks like quite a sweet child.

Looks like. Today while in line to order food at a restaurant, he gently fondled the buttocks of a middle-aged lady in front of him. A precious memory that will live forever, I'm sure. 

Today I ran 6.5 miles (that's 213,500 kilometers), helped move a sofa and then another sofa, carried a bird cage in and out of my house, and changed the world's smelliest diaper. Those of you who peruse the "What have you last purchased" threads may have noticed a corresponding uptick in purchases as a result.

I also, believe it or not, did some modelling. 

To prove I'm a True Modeller, who does things needlessly because I'll know it's there later (I won't; I forget things), I drilled out all of the lightening holes in the cockpit floor, just because I could.

33537341090_d9d839bc7f_b.jpg20170408_210128 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Trust me, it looks better in person, and you won't be able to see it at all once we close up the fuselage.

I also repainted the instrument panel Mr Color Red-Brown, mixed with tiny amount of my old foe Russet, sprayed the grey portions of the fuselage sides (Testor's Light Ghost Grey, IIRC), primed the one-piece prop and spinner with Alclad White primer, and used some spraycan Mr Resin Primer on the engine, which is a Bristol Mercury, as also seen on the Blenheim. 

33881147896_a49783a96e_b.jpg20170408_210121 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The two fuselage sections are meant to trap the resin engine's pour stub (somewhat cut down to fit) betwixt themselves, so I'll probably have to paint the engine next and figure out the interior colour for the cowling, and probably at least paint the collector ring, if not the entire cowl, before I can attach it and close things up. Surely one of you has a better idea than poor old Edward?

• Like 15

Nice work PC - on the model that is, but of course the household chores count too!

Sounds like the knees are better and you're back to running?

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Today while in line to order food at a restaurant, he gently fondled the buttocks of a middle-aged lady in front of him. A precious memory that will live forever, I'm sure. 

I don't know if I should laugh but I couldn't help it :giggle: !

It sounds like he certainly isn't boring to be with :lol:!

Very nice work on the interior PC; the i /p and internals all look the right colours.

Way back when I had a (failed) bash at this one, I assembled the fuselage, wings, all I could, the engine and cowl as a separate unit. The engine was just a little large for the cowl so I trimmed (butchered) a little off the top of each cylinder :blink:. Not an elegant solution I know, but due to shape/cowl thickness etc. It seemed a good idea at the time.

Hopefully yours may fit just fine :).

I feel your conversion ratio of miles to KM may be a little out :D?

All best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Today while in line to order food at a restaurant, he gently fondled the buttocks of a middle-aged lady in front of him. A precious memory that will live forever, I'm sure. 

That's the kind of thing a parent should never let their child forget. At least my parents would never have let me forget it.

I'm sorry to say I can't help with the modelling dilemma.

PC,

Are these shots of  a Gladiator interior any help with cockpit colours, assuming enough kindred likenesses  between aircraft in service?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1273075852/Gloster+Gladiator+Mk.I+cockpit+colour...

As to the cowling, being removable I'd be inclined to paint it the same colour inside and out, only with the interior soiled from proximity to the engine and handling by mechanics? 

Tony

• Like 1

Sorry progress is so slow on this one, chaps. I managed to lose the clear film backing for the photoetch instrument panel, and after searching for two nights, have given up and pillaged my other Gauntlet kit; someday I will stop screwing Future Me and start becoming the me who's getting screwed, but hopefully not soon. So not much progress yet. 

33835044011_a2cb761f3a_b.jpg20170410_195523 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33121552794_263c78cef9_b.jpg20170410_195559 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 13

It's all progress PC, and it's looking good B)

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

someday I will stop screwing Future Me and start becoming the me who's getting screwed,

He had it coming, the big sap... no, I mean he's got it coming. Anyway what did Future You ever do for you? :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Very nice PC, that i/p looks great in that colour :)

Hopefully future you will have the benefit of time travel and can come back and tell you where you put it...

Or, or, you could instal a CCTV camera over the bench and use it to review footage (actually that's not a bad idea).

Or you could use a piece of white Plasticard and some of those Mike Grant instrument decals - if you don't have any PM me and I'll post you some.

• Like 1

It's all good progress PC.

With first days at school for the little chap and all the other responsibilities, you have a very fast progress rate in comparison with an old codger like me, with far less on his hands to take up his time.

The main thing is to do it when it gives you a litle release from everything else, and to enjoy it.

It's a lovely aircraft and you're making a great job of it. You've inspired me to dig mine out, and to buy an Airfix Gladiator!

Keep your chin up, as some of us Brit types say,

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

How about printing and cutting up the 3D Models Spitfire instrument panel download.

I have it at home, let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Yesterday me thought that tomorrow me would like to deal with insurance companies - tomorrow me might but it turns out that today me is stuck with the job. Yesterday me is a thoughtless berk

Future you might like to start a small notebook of your kid's antics - for weaponisation as a teenager "tidy your room or I give your friends and/or crush exerpts" and eventually material for a bring the house down wedding speech 

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

He had it coming, the big sap... no, I mean he's got it coming. Anyway what did Future You ever do for you?

Nothing but suffer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It's a lovely aircraft and you're making a great job of it. You've inspired me to dig mine out, and to buy an Airfix Gladiator!

I've been looking at early Hurricanes, myself. Or more accurately, looking for them, the pre-war boxing seems quite scarce these days, and the Battle of France ones not much better. Surprised Airfix seems to have discontinued them for this year; would've thought they'd be a big seller.

5 hours ago, Beard said:

How about printing and cutting up the 3D Models Spitfire instrument panel download.

I have it at home, let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

I thought about something like that, or using my fancy new punch and die set to punch out decals from a spare Eduard Spitfire decal sheet and use those (since the Gauntlet has them ordered differently than the classic WWII style bank of six primary instruments), but it proved frustrating and hard, so instead it's straight to robbery and seeing if AZ will sell me the film on its own.

5 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Future you might like to start a small notebook of your kid's antics - for weaponisation as a teenager "tidy your room or I give your friends and/or crush exerpts" and eventually material for a bring the house down wedding speech 

Oh, I'm saving as much as possible. Mostly I'm trying to remember what life was like now; my father remembers nothing from about his birth in 1956 through 1988, and it's maddening. "Dad, what did you think when Brezhnev died?" "Who?"

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I thought about something like that, or using my fancy new punch and die set to punch out decals from a spare Eduard Spitfire decal sheet and use those (since the Gauntlet has them ordered differently than the classic WWII style bank of six primary instruments), but it proved frustrating and hard, so instead it's straight to robbery and seeing if AZ will sell me the film on its own.

I thought I'd offer, due to my kind and giving nature. I also have my nickname to live up to.

Anyway, if something's hard to do then it's not worth doing.

• Like 1

Well, my sinuses again seem to be going haywire and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. 

The big news modelwise is that the fuselage is closed up:

33857977461_6cefb7b336_b.jpg20170411_234937 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The two-part photoetch seatbelt is now a one part seatbelt, because this is the poingiest photoetch I've ever had to use. Maddening. If we ever learn how to teleport, it will be because we've strapped a scientist laden with recording equipment to a large piece of photoetch and attempted to join it to another piece of photoetch, and no spares are available for either.

33946186726_b888d55573_b.jpg20170411_234957 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Good enough, I hope.

The fit of the lower wing might generously be called poor:

33946186976_9d89c5a687_b.jpg20170411_234948 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some shimming will be in order, no doubt.

In other news, this has arrived. Stirs the blood a bit, I think you'll agree:

33830282062_d6d25340d6_b.jpg20170411_205117 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 14

Good job on the close up Egbert! It certainly looks like a challenging kit and you're mastering it :)

I hope you're feeling better soon - and I'm sure the Spitfire art will help raise your spirits; it looks amazing.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2017 at 07:16, CedB said:

Or, or, you could instal a CCTV camera over the bench and use it to review footage (actually that's not a bad idea).

If you're trying to track poingy PE it had better be one of those thousand-frames-per-second ones, and you will need a tame nuclear physicist to interpret the streaks that you see in each frame. Or you could just do all your modelling inside a cloud chamber...

Regards,

Adrian (who recently found a small part that departed at high speed during cutting six feet away from the bench)

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Procopius said:

I've been looking at early Hurricanes, myself.

Me too! I've been trying to get an AZ models Mk.1 for a potential MAC conversion at a future date. They've a number of options but seem quite costly, so I'm lurking (possibly in futility) for a bargain to emerge.

That Gauntlet is coming along most handsomely PC. There is something irresistible about this pre-WW2 generation of aircraft, all that optimistic silver so soon to be shrouded in earth tones. 

Your new artwork certainly calls for mood lighting and a contemplative brandy!

X-alent!

Tony

• Like 2