Academy 1/72 TBF Avenger (RNZAF)

Hi all,

I recently completed this a few weeks ago and I decided to upload it here. The build wasn't that enjoyable and I'm not to pleased how it turned out to be honest :mellow:. The decals are just a bunch of markings I had spare so it is in no way historically accurate

DSCF3466DSCF3467DSCF3468

DSCF3469DSCF3470

• Like 15

Unmistakeably an RNZAF Avenger from where I sit & looks OK to me. What was it about the kit you didn't like, I've a couple of these? :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
spelling.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Unmistakeably an RNZAF Avenger from where I sit & looks OK to me. What was it about the kit you didn't like, I've a coule of these? :unsure:

Steve.

I found the fitting of the cockpit and the two fuselage halves rather difficult (It could just be me though:shrug:)

Thanks for that info, forewarned is forearmed in that case for me, definitely one of those situations where dry fitting before gluing is a good idea. This wouldn't be the only kit that sufferes from this, some of the recent Airfix kits are done to such small tolerances that a coat of paint on mating surfaces can cause fit problems.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi,

it does look rather smashing though, despite whatever you are unhappy with. The build is very clean and well painted.

Isn't it one of the (very) old Academy kits, with the engine being molded as part of the front fuselage?

I have always balked at buying it every time I came upon it. Was I right not to?

End result is excellent!

JR

• Like 1

Well, if had built that I would be delighted at how it came out. I really like the RNZAF scheme so might have to hatch a cunning plan.  Would look good next to me BPF Avenger. 

• Like 1

I build this kit a long time ago and vaguely remember it was a little disappointing after building the academy p-51 and hellcat. so it's nice to see it again, build to higher standards. 

i believe this kit is actually based on a frog kit, the display stand is identical to what a lot of frog kits came with, the wheels, when posed down where also designed to rotate, however apparently the original kit had raised panel line so accademy somehow retooled/copied the original. still this would mean it's essentially a 70's kit which might explain some of the fit issues.

• Like 1

I've built 3 Academy Avengers, and 3 Airfix.

Here's a review of Academy that I built.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/manstbf.htm

Sounds like I didn't enjoy that one - but I've gone back and built another since.

Academy_TBF_AvengerFAA_zpswq1fl6zd.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build, in spite of your expressed issues.

I have built this kit too and, while I am satisfied with mine, I think yours is much better.

As a fan of the looks of this plane, I have since stashed an example of the Hasegawa 1/72 kit in order to have another go at the type one day.

It looks like a more refined kit as far as an in-the-box examination suggests. B)

• Like 1