Been in a bit of a modeling funk recently - finding it hard to build up any enthusiasm for the hobby. Two weekends ago, my wife and daughter were out of town, so I thought I'd give the new Airfix JP a go - a nice, simple build, no complications, just the thing to get the modeling juices going. As I was looking at the boxes in my stash, I thought to myself that perhaps I could build the Airfix Vampire as well, while I was at it - similar, simple colour scheme, so I could airbrush both at the same time. While I was contemplating that idea, I spied the Airfix Gnat box - same scheme......

So I started all three.... And they are nice, simple builds - aside from a few minor issues, they built up very easily and quickly, such that I had all three airframes complete before the end of the weekend - just what the doctor ordered! Finishing them was another matter - the Airfix JP Dayglo decals are thick, brittle and unresponsive to decal softeners. A re-think and a quick look through the old SAM magazine pile showed that I could do the JP in an identical colour scheme to the other two. A profile in SAM showed that I could even build the exact same airframe - XM413 - in an earlier scheme than that offered in the Airfix box, so I could use those decals for this build - bonus!  And a lucky bonus too - I discovered I was reading the Airfix painting guide incorrectly - I thought the Airfix box scheme was High Speed SIlver with Dayglo stripes, whereas it's actually LAG - I had painted the model in the wrong colour. Finding the same airframe in the earlier HSS/Fluorescent Orange scheme was fortuitous, saving a re-paint. I even had some spare CFS rhomboid decals in the spares box from the old Matchbox Provost kit. I spent most weeknights this past week adding decals, and just finished all three this morinng.

So, here are the Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost T.3, Gnat T.1 and Vampire T.11:

raf01_zpsd0aq0hrl.jpg

raf04_zpsvonzrbdd.jpg

raf05_zpscjhqtatm.jpg

raf03_zpsgc0nhisi.jpg

raf06_zps0fj3eqjl.jpg

raf02_zpsj1gt91df.jpg

raf07_zps8bsqxqab.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 67

Lovely line up Paul, that must be in the clear Arizona sunshine.

There is something about that silver and dayglo scheme that makes it look good on every aircraft it has been applied to.

Cheers

John

A fantastic trio which has got me thinking. I have built all three and have bought extra examples of all three, so good were the kits. I will have to look into matching schemes. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Lovely builds, you can't beat a bit of silver and dayglo! Am I wrong or does it seem to be a thread with Airfix for RAF trainers, if so bring on a new Avro 504 and Magister maybe. Again great results there and a bit of inspiration to get my two Vampires out of the stash  (after dark of course ).

Three individual very good builds and all together look fantastic.  Very nicely done and am glad that you have got your model making mojo back - it is so easy for it to go these days with everyday life sometimes taking over things....!!

A terrific trio.  Three of my favourite types in my favourite scheme for them.  The HSS looks great.  What paint did you use?  Real inspiration for me to dig out my JP and Vampire (already done the Gnat).

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A terrific trio.  Three of my favourite types in my favourite scheme for them.  The HSS looks great.  What paint did you use?  Real inspiration for me to dig out my JP and Vampire (already done the Gnat).

Cheers, everyone!  Meaty, I use Testors Metalizer Aluminium - it has fine grain and is easy to use.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Cheers, everyone!  Meaty, I use Testors Metalizer Aluminium - it has fine grain and is easy to use.

Thank you.  Looks great.  I haven't used much in the way of Testors products although I have used their matt varnish aerosol, which is great.