bae 146 wing colours

Hi everyone,I am currently building the revell 146-200 in the BA landor livery and am unsure of the colour of the wings, are they the usual light grey?.Havent found a picture that defines it clearly, anybody got any ideas.                                                                             Cheers Michael.             

What registration? The only one I can find in Landor livery is G-MANS which I believe was white instead of the usual pearl grey over midnight blue, with white pearl grey wings (where painted)

Edited by Dave Swindell
talking cobblers late at night!

The photos I've found of G-MANS show it in pearl grey (the white door outlines contrast).  None really have a good shot of the tops of the wings.  All the die-cast model pictures suggest the wings were also pearl grey.

8 hours ago, buzz said:

The photos I've found of G-MANS show it in pearl grey (the white door outlines contrast)

Yes you're right, completely missed the door outlines. Looking at the photos again this morning, I'd say that if the wings and engine pylons aren't pearl grey, they're a very similar light grey.

Before repainting in this scheme G-MANS wore the Manx scheme (latterly with BMI titles) which had white upper fuselage,wings & pylons, so this was a full airframe repaint, pearl grey wings would seem logical.

5 hours ago, feoffee2 said:

What decals are you using?

Thanks 

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, yes I am building g-mans,the decals will come from the skyline detail set and the ba crest, fuselage titles, red stripe on lower fuselage and door outlines will come from the spares folder. The airfix 737 looks like a  good source for the crest and red stripe and I have some titles which seem to match the size required which I think may have come from a 707.                                                                                                                                                                           Many thanks Michael.                                           

Michael - note the titles are British Airways Express

Doubt if the titles you have would have come from a 707, they were gone before the Landor scheme and would have had lower case titles, not upper case which came with Landor.

I don't recall seeing any British Airways Express decals, pity as they flew quite a few small regional airliners.

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Michael - note the titles are British Airways Express

Doubt if the titles you have would have come from a 707, they were gone before the Landor scheme and would have had lower case titles, not upper case which came with Landor.

I don't recall seeing any British Airways Express decals, pity as they flew quite a few small regional airliners.

Hi Dave yes I dont  have a plan for the {express} yet will have to be some improvisatoin involved,looking back at previous builds I wonder if the ba titles could have come from a 737 as they seem to be a good match for size.                                                 Cheers Michael.     

• Like 1

That pearl grey colour had a life of its own, depending on the light it could look really dark or  light grey. The 146 wings tops is weird,(NMF leading edge, ailerons were NMF) they looked white/light grey but could easily have been pearl grey, white undersides, cowlings white but its really hard to bolt down the exact shade due to the reflecting properties of the pearl grey.

I think the Landor scheme is the best BA scheme and looked class back then. 30 years ish ago I was an Inspector at Marshalls for 2 years on the ten BA Tristar  200 Sunset III refurbs. .Negus to Landor and completely new interiors, re-trimmed sidewalls. The real decals, complete set came on 3 pallets, The fin BA coat of arms was one pallet, cut in to 3 or 4 pieces and reassembled on the kite. First one came folded and I rejected it along with £100,000 of Heath Tecna hatracks/luggage bins.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1