I am looking forward to this.

I have the Para Handy DVD, the Maggie DVD, books on Puffers and some vacform bits for making a puffer. All I need is the motivation to get going. I think I will wait until Kev's build has been done first!

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

If I remember rightly the original idea came from the late great modeller Brian King

I have a book by Brian King, I must read it and see if there any other little gems lurking inside. 

• Like 1

There is no shortage of plans - there was a paper/card plank-on-frame build - 'Pibroch' - also featured in 'The Modelshipwright' years and years ago by Sandy Cousins.

Found a set of plans of her on ebay.de- see images 2 & 3, though they've got a later motor 'puffer' in their images - this one was the famous puffer running to Islay for White Horse Distillers, and had a white horse at her mast head.

Also features in the Dan McDonald book, 'The Clyde Puffer' - which is probably the definite reference. (loads very reasonable, 2nd hand on ABE Books)

Steam Pibroch plans on ebay (link to auction page)

s-l1600.jpg

clydepuf.jpg

Edited by clipper
links

'Tis a strange world ..............

Just spent the last 40mins being water boarded or the nearest I hope I'll ever get. My mouth propped open whilst a young lady dragged a rock drill around my teeth, another made a pretence of sucking the water out. If she was on the pumps of my Puffer it would have sunk :(

At the end as custom demands, I stand up smile, thank them and go out and pay for the above :banghead:

1 hour ago, davecov said:

I think I will wait until Kev's build has been done first!

I guess you've led the way often enough ....

53 minutes ago, clipper said:

There is no shortage of plans

Now you've reminded me I've got a feeling they appeared in Model Boats or Marine Modelling. I'll have to have a look in my back copies.

I have a copy of Dan McDonalds book..

It's surprised me how many closet Puffers there are on this forum ...:winkgrin:

Kev

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Cheers Martian, what make would that be?

An outfit called Gra Models, they were selling some puffer kits at Telford a few years back. I just need to source a few inches of 1/144 railing and I am good to go. I did a small diorama of the Maggie about ten years ago and have been mulling over ideas for a Para Handy/Vital Spark one to go along with it.

Martian

Interesting, not heard of them before....

http://www.gramodels.co.uk/

listed in price list at £16.50 no pic so

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/civil/puffer-150-ep/ep-index.html

:hmmm: I could do with 1/144 railings for a certain tug...

Have you seen these

I wonder if we could prevail upon Paul? :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Have you seen these

Kev

I was sort of wondering whether I would be asked about the 1/144 railings.

I must admit I deliberately designed a generic set so I could use them on other projects that I have other than the Type 143 kit. To give an idea the set has 168 3bar stanchions 56 2bar stanchions and 30 handrail eyes as well as vertical ladders. The only other thing needed to make up the railings is 28SWG wire which just happens to be available as sewing supplies in Hobbycraft. 

The thing is I had the PE made up professionally  so I can get repeat orders if I want as long as I meet a minimum pre-order value. If there is enough interest I am more than happy to do so. The cost by the way would not be prohibitive at a tenner. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Have you seen these

Kev

Good thinking Batshanks, I hadn't thought of that! I think we should try.

26 minutes ago, Paul E said:

I was sort of wondering whether I would be asked about the 1/144 railings.

I must admit I deliberately designed a generic set so I could use them on other projects that I have other than the Type 143 kit. To give an idea the set has 168 3bar stanchions 56 2bar stanchions and 30 handrail eyes as well as vertical ladders. The only other thing needed to make up the railings is 28SWG wire which just happens to be available as sewing supplies in Hobbycraft. 

The thing is I had the PE made up professionally  so I can get repeat orders if I want as long as I meet a minimum pre-order value. If there is enough interest I am more than happy to do so. The cost by the way would not be prohibitive at a tenner. 

It has to be worth a tenner of anyone's money, I'm in as the railings are all that has held me back, not only from building the kit I already have but a few more puffers as well.

Martian

• Like 2

Started work on the superstructure, sounds a bit grand for the shed on the back ....

P1040897 (Copy)

Pull moulded the cowls

P1040898 (Copy)

P1040902 (Copy)

Starting to shape up

P1040901 (Copy)

P1040900 (Copy)

Now do we go for an enclosed wheelhouse or the cabriolet :hmmm:

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 9

I wish my pull moulds come out as well as yours. I have tried this on my Type143 build but it is no where near as good.

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

I'm in Paul

What's your minimum order value?

Kev

In answer to your question I need 5 people to make a commitment to make a re-order viable.

I will post an appeal for interest on my build log as well to see if that helps.

Paul 

6 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Keep it coming mate !

Cheers Mate, didn't realise you could have so much fun with such a little thing :elephant:

3 hours ago, Paul E said:

I wish my pull moulds come out as well as yours

What's the problem Paul? I'm no expert but....

Thanks for the offer on the railing PM sent

Kev

Thanks Guys

Been working on the the bulwark rail. Did this by glue 0.5 x 0.5mm strip along the outside edge. When this had set I glued a further strip on the inside and outside. When set they were sanded to shape

P1050045 (Copy)

P1050046 (Copy)

Brass goose neck vent was added to strengthen the bulwark

P1050052 (Copy)

Freeing ports have also been added

Work started on the windlass :banghead:

Two pieces of plastic card tacked together with super glue, drawing stuck on. Two pieces shaped and drilled as one then split apart.

P1050049 (Copy)

P1050050 (Copy)

P1050051 (Copy)

Did find an 'easier' way to drill a hole in the centre of a small disc

Centre the disc on the cross hairs of the cutting mat and use a pin to centre punch the centre. Its surprising how much easier it is to eye the centre using the cross hairs. The disc you're looking at is 1.6mm diameter 

P1050055 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 7

Thanks for the support guys

Mk1 Windlass scrapped....

Mk2

P1050056 (Copy)

WIP with proof of scrapping

P1050057 (Copy)

Nearing completion 

P1050059 (Copy)

P1050060 (Copy)

P1050062 (Copy)

A few finishing touches required and were there..

The smallest chain I've been able to find is 44 links to the inch. Way over scale, 100mm (4") links :hmmm:

So I had a go at plaiting some wire. Passable I reckon, do know what size screen your looking at but that 'chain' is 0.5mm diameter.

P1050065 (Copy)

P1050067 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8

Amazing detail Kev at this scale. Slap some paint on the chain so it looks a little bit rusty and it will look fine. You'll only see it if you are carrying a magnifying glass, :smile:

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

You'll only see it if you are carrying a magnifying glass, :smile:

Doesn't everyone ? :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

intimidating and inspiring

Intimidating........... I hope not. Scratch building is surprisingly easy and in this scale more so 'cos you are only looking to represent the shape. Sizes are approx. more a case of what looks right.

Inspiring, as mentioned above I've been inspired. If I can inspire/help some one else Result!

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Kev, I rarely fail to learn something from your builds - I had tried the same approach of making two parts at once, but never thought about CA'ing them together lightly to make sure they do not slip! I just tried to hold the pieces together. On my next one I will use your idea. The 'gunsight' idea is good too, another for my memory bank.

Looking forward to seeing more soon,

Ray