North American P-51D Mustang

Ready for inspection the Airfix 1:72 North American P-51D Mustang. Is a straight forward out of the box build, and my first experience of painting using Humbrol silver. I'm fairly pleased with the overall effect (I'm brush painting not airbrushing). In future I won't be painting the silver first as masking it was a nightmare (bits peeling off with the tape). I've gone for minimal weathering as I like the shiny metal finish of these planes. All in all a nice little kit.

DSC_1596

DSC_1594

DSC_1597

DSC_1598

• Like 12

Hi, Nice job on the Mustang, your brush painting looks as good as some of my airbrushing, I'm impressed with the silver, I would never have even attempted that with a brush, maybe on the next one you could use a Humbrol or Tamiya rattle can for the silver, you can get great results and it should not peel off with masking tape.

Keep up the splendiferous work!

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Hi, Nice job on the Mustang, your brush painting looks as good as some of my airbrushing, I'm impressed with the silver, I would never have even attempted that with a brush, maybe on the next one you could use a Humbrol or Tamiya rattle can for the silver, you can get great results and it should not peel off with masking tape.

Keep up the splendiferous work!

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks for the great comments Andy, I'm currently working on the Airfix vampire so your advice is greatly received. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

5 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Nice build! I'd never have guessed that the NMF was brush painted – it looks great!

Maybe an effect of the photography, but what happened to the dihedral (last photo)?

hqdefault.jpg

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you, I'm quite pleased with my painting on this one.......Did require a lot of attention!  The wings are flatter than that of the supposed dihedral, I'm putting this down to how I aligned the wings to body when putting them in place. I have another Mustang in my collection and will bear that in mind. Thanks for your comments, I'm hoping being on the forum will help me with my techniques and attention to detail. Have you seen a P51-D fly? 

Michelle 

I made a silver mustang when I was a wee boy in the 80s and always wanted to make another so I did this one too and wanted it to be perfect. I'm a brush painter too but plumped for silver humbrol rattle can, your finish is better than mine was, very silvery. Your certainly churning them out and good work again. I liked this kit too would get again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I made a silver mustang when I was a wee boy in the 80s and always wanted to make another so I did this one too and wanted it to be perfect. I'm a brush painter too but plumped for silver humbrol rattle can, your finish is better than mine was, very silvery. Your certainly churning them out and good work again. I liked this kit too would get again

Thank you! Look forward to seeing it if you get another kit.

Nice build - agree - I wouldn't neither dare to try to hand paint this scheme but you showed it works - when the right skills are there.

Btw - good to have a female model builder here at BM.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by WildeSau75
  • Like 1