Dungeon of Doom Part 1

I'd wanted to do a diorama for some time, loosely based on the pulp fiction of Robert E. Howard.

This is going to be photo heavy, so I'll put them up in a few separate posts.

These first few snaps show the dungeon itself with a quick spray of primer, and me just playing around with figure locations.

The figures are mostly white metal 75mm kits, (around 1:24 scale), with a couple of resin examples in there as well, and painted with acrylics from several different mfr's; Vallejo, Andrea, Scale75, Reaper, and so on.

aa.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ad.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ab.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ae.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ac.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

af.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ag.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

ah.%20Dungeon%20of%20Doom_18-Jan-2016.jp

Once I was happy the project would actually work, the dungeon was painted with a set of Winsor & Newton water soluble oils that I picked up during a trip to Glasgow years ago. It was the first time I'd used them and was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to experiment with.

ai.%2019-Mar-16_DofD.jpg

aj.%2019-Mar-16_DofD.jpg

• Like 5

Part 2.

Here's the finished diorama..

ao.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

av.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

ba.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

aw.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

bb.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

bc.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

bd.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

am.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

an.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

ak.%201-Apr-16_DofD.jpg

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 7

Have you ever thought of painting flats Cadman?  The reason I say so, is because I had to do a double take on the lady in the pink veil/shawl, who appears to chained to the wall.  She I thought was a flat figure, you've got the shadows and highlights just right for a flat.  The whole diorama is imaginative and outstanding.

BillyD

• Like 1

Apologies for the lack of response, I've been stuck on assignment here in part of what used to be called the "North-West Frontier" of our former "Jewel in the Crown" for the past week-and-a-bit with no internet access. Region of Rajasthan to be precise -- The Land That Time Forgot....from what I've seen so far....:hmmm:

See quick snaps below. Sorry 'bout the reflections on the windscreen but I wasn't getting out of the Toyota to take the shots -- cos it's 50 degrees C out there (122F). Just a tad warmer than I'm used to:-

HOTEL -- pretty good one too, all things considered..!!

Sanchal%20Fort%20Hotel_bs.jpg

Oops..!! Must've forgot to indicate a right turn -- or something. Thankfully, no-one hurt, or so I was told.

Barmer_as.jpg

17:00hrs Rush Hour Traffic Chaos..!!

Barmer_bs.jpg

Thanks to all who have expressed their kind comments on this particular wee diorama. It's highly appreciated, and I'm glad several members of this forum like what is probably a bit unusual, umm, to say the least....:)

The entire project actually does need a few finishing touches which I'll sort out when I get back home.

Visiting Delhi tomorrow, then Hong Kong on Thursday, and get back to our pad in China on Friday night.

So I'll try to get a few updated diorama photos posted early next week.

Cheers

H

Edited by Cadman
added a comment
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Lovely painting skills, my friend! Those flesh-tones really bring the figures to life. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

Thanks Chris.

I actually find painting these larger 75mm size figures far easier than my attempts at 1/35 scale -- so far -- but I'm getting there with the smaller figures.

Just need a bit more practice and work out what level of detail I'm happy with on the smaller scales.