With my Shorts SC.1 on final approach, thought I would start the thread for my next build.

Mach 2s 1/72 SNECMA Coléoptère.

Developed by the French company SNECMA in the 1950s. It was a single-person aircraft with an annular wing designed to take-off and land vertically, 

Amazingly this flew nine times before being destroyed on its ninth flight. The pilot Auguste Morel survived.

The obligatory box top shot.

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2001_z

The detailed instructions.

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2002_z

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2003_z

Just from initial looks, i know its not going to be a quick build. Looks like it will require lots of sanding & filling. Also the cleat parts are anying but.

• Like 9

Well done for getting the kit.I've been after the 1/48 kit for 10 years but the last one I bid for went on to £150 which is a bit too much. 

Great choice for the gb. 

Colin 

Made a start. Hard to tell the parts from the flash in places. Transparencies will be be having a bath in future at some point, hopefully will be able to improve them.

Also hard to describe, the plastic has a weird feel to it, feels grainy. 

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2004_z

Cockpit details are sparse.

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2005_z

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2006_z

Fuselage halves have been joined, test fitting suggest it will need a lot of fettling to get the annular wing to fit. Looks like i need to break out the Dremel to help.

• Like 2

What a superb choice for the Group Build. Many thanks for sharing this with us and entering it :thanks: .

I only have one Mach 2 kit; the DC-4. It cost a lot and of course, is now superseded. It also has foggy transparencies. Looking in the box all those years ago made me feel a bit foggy to be honest, it has languished in storage since; maybe one day....

They do seem to produce quite a range of unusual subjects, the have to be applauded for that. It looks like the 'big' toolbox is going to be needed for this one. In some ways, that can make it a lot more fun :winkgrin:!

Looking forward to seeing this take form, it really is very unusual!

All best regards

TonyT

Agree they do produce some unusual subjects, but do require work. Probably the most work I have had to do on an injection molded kit.

This one is fighting me all the way, but slowly beating it into shape. Needs lots of test fitting, sanding & filling.

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2007_zSNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2008_zSNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2009_z

Still trying to decide if I want to build the trolley. From the look it will require even more fettling than the plane.

Also had plans for the Mach 2 Ryan X-13 Vertijet but that has already gone back to the stash for another time.

• Like 3

You're doing a great job. Theyre known, it seems across most of the range, for needing a lot of extra work. Often I've seen threads with things like different length fuselage halves, more flash than component and so on.

I feel your pain. I haven't made any of their kits, but early A-Model can similarly test the resolve and deplete he filler and sanding material stocks :unsure:.

Given the level of challenge, this is very rapid progress.

Go on, do the trolley, it will only need doing once, you know you want to :winkgrin:.

Best regards

TonyT

On 02/04/2017 at 2:37 AM, Jb65rams said:

Amazingly this flew nine times before being destroyed on its ninth flight. The pilot Auguste Morel survived.

Impressive indeed- few of these oddball prototypes can match that claim!

A great subject ... & shouldn't take too much of your shelf space when done. 

Decided to build the trolley. Needed a lot of work, most of the steps /handrails required repair/replacement. Also decide the wheels couldn't be saved, managed to find some resin wheels on the big H website which should do the job.

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2014_z

• Like 3

Following a quick hit with Humbrol Yellow spray can, I am calling this one finished. No decals on the plane itself, just a couple added on the trailer.

It was a challenge, but don't think it has come out too badly (as long as you don't look too closely)

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%2015_z

SNECMA%20Coleoptere%20072%20Mach2%20120_

Will take some better photos for the gallery sometime in the next week.

• Like 5

Great building of a novel little machine. I'm glad you did the trolley as it provides some perspective. 

Well done 

Colin 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm here, but eternally out of 'likes' :(

It looks superb, something really different.

You've done a great job with a very challenging kit. It has turned out as a delicate model with a real 'scale look' to it.

Built 'out of the box' without your scratch buiding, it would be nowhere near as good.

Thank you for sharing this

:goodjob: .

Best regards

TonyT