Hi All,

Joining in with the X-15.  The iconic X-plane, the setter of records that have stood for 50 years and flown by the legendary Neil Armstrong and other brave and talented test pilots.  It amazes me that the records set have not yet been beaten.

33774569785_1221996f83_b.jpg

33774572315_113fcab850_b.jpg

It looks like it should be quite straight forward and I want to get going on this.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 4

Nice choice, MPM 1/72 X-15 if I am not mistaken. Just finished building one, although not as part of this GB.

A quick enjoyable build, straight forward but getting all the parts of the vertical tails to line up nicely took a bit of care. Also found the decals a little on the fragile side..

Have fun.

North%20American%20X-15%20072%20MPM_zpsg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've got most of the airframe together.

33792772042_ec7cb74ab9_b.jpg

33137151673_3e4c22a925_b.jpg

It's goes together OK - but as Jb65rams said the tail fin and airbrakes are a bit tricky.  It needs a bit more filling and sanding and then it'll be ready for painting.

Dave.

• Like 4

Hello Dave, my apologies for not checking in sooner.

Its great to see the X-15 being built. It really is so incredibly special.

No, those completely surreal records haven't been beaten.

The chap that inspired me to think of this GB, nearly got himself in very serious trouble by trying to view an X-15. I think his kiwi charm saved him :).

A belated welcome to the Group Build :thumbsup2: .

How are you finding the fit of the parts? I'm a big fan of MPM/Azur/SH but the first to know that parts fit can vary from vague to perfect.

It's looking great, now I've found this I can't wait to see it progress ;).

All best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony

Thanks for the welcome.  The fit of parts is good all round apart from the tail fin, it's not so much that the fit is bad, rather that there's all most nothing there to positively locate the parts to.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Here it is with some panels masked up.

33876467762_dd0401424e_b.jpg

....and with them painted with Revell anthracite.

33221389473_bce4a48b26_b.jpg

I can't really say that these panel variations are correct - I couldn't find enough reference photos and the X-15s were always being modified, but it needed something :shrug:.

Next a coat of Micro Gloss and decals.

Dave.

• Like 4

Crikey; fast progress Dave :thumbsup2: 

The panel variation looks good. I like how there's a kind of textured effect on the panels just aft of the wings on the fuselage top :).

It would be good to see it next to another plane of the same scale to give an idea if size. I get the feeling they were quite long beasties?

Loking forward to decals; nice modelling :)

Best regards

TonyC

Looks like a nice kit to build.

Great to see an X-15 - I've always been fascinated by this aircraft. The pilots that flew these things really had the right stuff. Not only does it hold all sorts of speed and altitude records, it holds the record for the fastest landing speed - 242 mph - for all the feats these pilots achieved, getting it on the ground in one piece might just have been the greatest!

Hi All,

On 4/14/2017 at 7:10 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

It would be good to see it next to another plane of the same scale to give an idea if size. I get the feeling they were quite long beasties?

Here it is next to the Lightning I'm working on.  It's more or less the same length as the Lightning.

33683772480_4ec4d48891_b.jpg

Dave.

• Like 1

I always thought it looked bigger than that. But of course it isn't. Just have to look at photos of it under the wing of a B-52 to realise it wasn't that big. Should have known that all along. I feel a bit daft now!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Here's a quick update:-

34480466360_8216057c37_b.jpg

I haven't been completely neglecting this one, but got a few other things on the go.  There's a couple of dozen more decals to do - but I'll get there eventually.

Dave.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

So it's nearly finished........

35499523071_1f24b30425_b.jpg

34821142593_f95448f466_b.jpg

All the decals are on now and the pitots, fuel dump pipes and nose-wheel doors have been added.

Now I just need to give it a semi-gloss finish and take the gallery photos and I'm done.

Done.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It really has turned out well Dave :thumbsup:!

I too, am surprised at the size. Maybe it's just that it has a shape that, when it's alone in the photo frame, makes it look big, really powerful, aggressive.

The decals, the fonts used, make it almost look like a 'sports' vehicle. Like the sponsorship logos on early 1960's NASCAR vehicles; just very stylish indeed. The designers were clearly very proud.

A great model Dave, beautifully made; the paint work is really very nice. Thanks for this great build thread and model for our little Group Build :).

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT