Italeri Ju-87 G-2 Stuka 1/48 – Done and dusted.

Unless you're a WWII refugee – what's not to love about the good old Stuka? I'm also fascinated with size of the cannons that the Luftwaffe squeezed onto some of their aircraft. Put the two together and you get a Ju-87 G-2!

I was impressed with the detail on this kit, so I thought I would see how good it was out of the box. Then I did a bit of research (my research is an hour or so on Google images) and noticed some areas for improvement. Although the engine is very nicely detailed, a lot of pipe-work is missing. I found quite a few images of the G-2 engine, but they all varied quite a bit, as a result the pipes I've added are more to make the engine look 'busy' rather than be 100% accurate, so don't use mine as a guide.

The other alteration I made was to the cannon. I can't bring myself to pay half the kit price, for a couple of small resin parts, maybe that might change if a rich aunt dies, or money started growing on our trees (unfortunately, I haven't got a rich aunt and the puppy eats EVERYTHING in the garden, including trees). The internet seems full of modellers saying that after-market cannon are a necessity, but I thought I would see what I could do with the kit parts.

This is the most trouble I have ever taken over painting any model (don't laugh). I noticed that the aircraft models I particularly like, have faded paint schemes, so I tried experimenting with a lighter undercoat to each of the camo colours. I even mixed all the camo colours to get it reasonably accurate – although I deliberately mixed them slightly lighter than they should be.

I'm reasonably happy with the end result (always room for improvement), although I must have used a weeks pocket-money in masking tape.

All the German crosses are painted, using home-made stencils. I can see why people buy stencils, wow they are a pain to do, it cost me about two hours and another truck-load of masking tape. As the kit doesn't supply swastikas (Illegal in Italy apparently), I did consider masking those as well, but I'm not entirely deranged, so I didn't. As I have been known to do the odd Luftwaffe subject in the past, fortunately I had some that had been left over from a previous build.

Incidentally, you may be seeing more of the base as it isn't intended to have a Stuka planted on it for all time, I'm made it to use as a photo prop to relieve the monotony of the all black background. It is supposed to represent a planked parking area and is currently a work in progress (I would be grateful if you have any suggestions how I could improve it). My wife's opinion was “It looked nicer before you put the brown stuff on”! I had to explain that 'nice' wasn't the look I was going for.

321282-20442-19.jpg

321283-20442-79.jpg

321284-20442-17.jpg

321279-20442-62.jpg

321286-20442-52.jpg

321289-20442-18.jpg

321281-20442-65.jpg

• Like 26

Stunning build, the details like the gun mounts came out excellent.

:thumbsup:

BTW: A Ju 87 is indeed an attractive modelling subject, thanks to its unusual shape and the great range of sub versiuons / markings.

Got the D-5/D-8 version from Italeri.

• Like 1

Excellent Stuka! The base is great too. Maybe just dirty it up a little with some oil stains or maybe add a fuel drum. Great work too on the additional detail for the cannons. Well done. Cheers Greg :clap2:

• Like 2

Very nice subject, I'm gonna do one when I will be taller ;)

You did a lovely model and a very nice work on the cannon pods.

PZR

• Like 1

I'm glad you like it Stephen, Greg & PZR. I was quite pleased with how the cannon pods turned out, surprising what you can do with a few inches of fuse-wire.

Greg: Thanks for the suggestions about the base – I'll probably add some oil stains and experiment with adding 'grass' to the gaps.

Gorby :)

• 1 month later...