RAF Tornado NEED HELP

Karlo

Hello guys i found this photo on Google.

Is this RAF insignia on this aircraft but painted like RSAF panavia tornado ?

8663744430_18ca25b8ca_b_zpsnbfpp7dy.jpg

I would love to paint aircraft like this, so if this is correct i will go shop today !!!

Probably pre-delivery test flight.  Paint looks imaculate, background looks typically British.  

I seem to recall hearing that Saudi insignias cannot be use on aircraft overseas.

British markings for delivery flight, and if it was ever returned. Hence I have seen a photo of a Lightning T55 with roundels.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

Hi Karlo,

GO SHOPPING!

ZH 917 is in the Tornado Sustainment Program, (TSP, BIG green oblong on the fin) being run by BAE for the Saudi Tornados

Another photo in the link below

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/389710/zh917-royal-air-force-panavia-tornado-ids

HTH

Paul

52 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Probably pre-delivery test flight.  Paint looks imaculate, background looks typically British.  

I seem to recall hearing that Saudi insignias cannot be use on aircraft overseas.

British markings for delivery flight, and if it was ever returned. Hence I have seen a photo of a Lightning T55 with roundels.

There's also pictures out there of pre-delivery Polish F-16s that have the national insignia blanked over with some grey masking material.

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Hmm better tell that to the green arrows or whatever they are called who were at VL a few years ago.

Their SMR is an ex killick grubber....good going 

Translation on request.

4 hours ago, Karlo said:

Hello guys i found this photo on Google.

Is this RAF insignia on this aircraft but painted like RSAF panavia tornado ?

8663744430_18ca25b8ca_b_zpsnbfpp7dy.jpg

I would love to paint aircraft like this, so if this is correct i will go shop today !!!

This is the  Saudi Tornado allocated to the BAe Systems Tornado Sustainment  Programme  (TSP) as the development aircraft. (TSP was basically  the RSAF tornado update roughly equivalent to the RAF GR1 to GR4 modification.  As a Saudi owned aircraft operating in UK for a UK company it has for legal reasons have a UK reg, and carry UK Roundels. TSP

RSAF Typhoons carry UK markings up to the final delivery flight.

Selwyn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

This is the  Saudi Tornado allocated to the BAe Systems Tornado Sustainment  Programme  (TSP) as the development aircraft. (TSP was basically  the RSAF tornado update roughly equivalent to the RAF GR1 to GR4 modification.  As a Saudi owned aircraft operating in UK for a UK company it has for legal reasons have a UK reg, and carry UK Roundels. TSP

RSAF Typhoons carry UK markings up to the final delivery flight.

Selwyn

Is it possible to get such decals ? Or i can somehow print that T.S.P ? Thank you very much for info

The green background to the TSP is the same size as the green Saudi flag. There are some interesting weapon load outs for this as it has been flying on Storm Shadow trials.

The Saudi Typhoons only carry British national markings when in primer. Once painted they carry the full RSAF marks with the addition of a UK serial which is carried until arrival in Saudi.

2 hours ago, Karlo said:

Is it possible to get such decals ? Or i can somehow print that T.S.P ? Thank you very much for info

4 hours ago, chris57 said:

The decal for that scheme was marketed by Whirlybird decals under their Jumpjet  logo and were available in 1/144,1/72 & 1/48 scales. They came out in 2009. hth cheers Chris

Whirlybird Models produce them in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 scale: Whirly Bird Models

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another simpler option is to do ZE114, part of the BAE Systems trials fleet which is in full RSAF camo and markings including nose titles and standard green Saudi flag on tail. The RSAF roundels have been replaced by red / blue British roundels as per ZH917 in the photo with the UK serial applied over the Saudi one in the same way.