Esci/Trumpeter F-100C Super Sabre 1/72

Hi all,

The latest just rolled out of the paint shop after a final matt coat.

As you can see, she is a F-100C operated by the Turkish Air Force. I have attempted to replicate, in my ham-fisted way, this machine:

SLEDreal

SLED4

I have no idea why I picked her as she is pretty much standard fare for the THK at the time. She has kept the former Air National Guard cam finish, having only the "USAF" removed from the fin and the Turkish flag and roundels applied. She was delivered to the THK on 11/06/73 and was retired from service 14/07/87. Turkish C's were delivered from the US by ANG crews immediately after the Vietnam war. As you can see, they retained the IFR probe from their former lives but never used them in Turkish service. The image above was taken at Norvenich AB, West Germany in 1973.

My build was to amalgamate the better of two kits - the Esci F-100D and the Trumpeter F-100C. Essentially I used the wings (with main gear and doors) and fin from the Trumpeter and the Esci provided the rest. The wheels are Esci. The wings gave me the slats. The former is not the best for accuracy in the fin area but for me she is close enough. I don't count the mm's. ;). I drilled holes and set the tail planes on rods so that they could be set at an angle as all Sleds sat this way.

The paints are standard Humbrol SEA enamels 28/116/117/118. I added a spot of white to each of the upper colours so that I could paint on some panel lines. The rear jet area was weathered with Tamiya weathering set D over a coat of Humbrol 191. I used thin strips of tape to give me the lines I needed. The jet pipe is Humbrol Metalcote Steel, dry brushed with 191. Flags and roundels are from Tigerhead. I made the serial for the fin and the nose wheel door. The cockpit and the jet pipe are both from Aires.  She was dirtied with Flory "Dirt". She's not perfect but I hope you like her.

SLED2

SLED1

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
moved from PB
  • Like 57

A difficult weathering job that you executed superbly ! Love this model :) 

Thanks again everyone. I know she is not in a particularly colourful scheme but for me it was the challenge of replicating the machine in the photo. Bringing together the two kits was interesting. 

Martin

You have really captured the back end scorching that marked out the F100 really well and is a nicely finished model. I built the Esci kit many years ago and finished in one of the colourful wing leaders markings that were around in the late 50's, was one of my favourites and I miss her.

That has to be one of the most effective heat damaged tail end I have seen - brilliantly executed!

ATB
Rick

15 hours ago, Scimitar said:

very well Martin.

So..here's your next one ?

Thanks for all your kind and encouraging words. I am still finding my way back in to the hobby after a 30+ year break.

Scimitar, I have many choices for my next Sled. The two volumes of the F-100s in Turkish Service  have given me many ideas. My ideal would be:

F100turk1_zpsellkcckf.jpg

let's see ifI am brave enough to try ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

All,

I meant ant to say about the jet pipe effect. It really wasn't difficult.

i gave it a coat of Humbrol 191. Then cut 1mm strips of Tamiya tape and applied them to the areas that show lighter in the photo, essentially the joints. Then I gave the area a number of carefully placed swipes of the three different weathering colours. Not too much. Then I removed the strips and continued the swipes of weathering powders until the effect was as I wanted it. 

I hope that helps.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Typo

All,

the other thing to say, and I should have done so t the outset, is that by combining the Esci fuselage with the Trumpeter wings etc you get the correct shape for not only the intake - the Trumpeter is very wrong - but also the width. The Trumpeter is too narrow, noticeably so. The downside is that you lose the great detail of the Trumpeter. To me it is the right compromise. 

I intend end to do the same with my D and F. The latter is well known for having a completely wrong canopy.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 03/04/2017 at 0:23 PM, RidgeRunner said:

All,

the other thing to say, and I should have done so t the outset, is that by combining the Esci fuselage with the Trumpeter wings etc you get the correct shape for not only the intake - the Trumpeter is very wrong - but also the width. The Trumpeter is too narrow, noticeably so. The downside is that you lose the great detail of the Trumpeter. To me it is the right compromise. 

I intend end to do the same with my D and F. The latter is well known for having a completely wrong canopy.

Martin

Great build and painting. Excellent work from the old ESCI kit, hadn't realised until I read further you had cross-kitted with the Trumpeter kit. I did not know of the shape problems with the Trumpeter kits, not unexpected to hear, but annoying as I have the C, D and F Trumpy kits in my stash and was about tho through the ESCI F away! 

Darren

On 03/04/2017 at 8:14 AM, RidgeRunner said:

My ideal would be:

G-222 is an interesting airframe.

I saw it in the mid sixties when it was Danish.

Before that it was with USAFE 48TFW.

Wasit scrapped do you know?