DONE - Revell Star Wars Armored Assault Tank (AAT)

With the 40th anniversary of Star Wars this year, i'm going to try and build some kits from that series as a kind of a tribute GB. And to mark feeling very old!

To ease myself into it, I've pulled this from the stash which I picked up last year at Telford for the princely sum of a penny shy of £2..

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20box_hull_zpsgsvo

Just a small bit of wear and tear on the box! (hence the price)

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20box_bits_zpscamg

But everything there....

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20contents_zpsxe20

Behold the mighty sprue map...almost 40 parts! None of your fancy-shmancy 900+ parts Master Series nonsense here....

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20instructions_zps

The upper hull/turret bustle had received a fair whack in the box and was cracked from left side to right so that needed fixing...plastic tabs (hidden) to support and lashings of glue..

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Turret_ring_zpsv

It's an Easy kit (Snap-Fit to us older folks) but I'm going to glue it together. So out came a persuading tool to snip the lugs for a better fit.

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_Hull_Glacis_zpsh6dm

And we have a hull! 

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Hull_zpsqb85k5ra

While not as accurate as the AMT kit and smaller in scale (about 1/50 I think), I'm going to try and improve this by repainting in the Phantom Menace scheme and adding some basic detail to it.  
Yes, I know there are some minor shape/detail differences between these versions but hoping it will still look the part (and not upset the fans :popcorn:)

I'll miss those 'eyeliner' gun stains from the front glacis! :D

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 13

Nice start. I'll look forward to seeing this one come together. The AAT is one of the few Trade Federation designs from the prequels that I like the look of. It should look great in the original tan colours.

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So started by adding some greeblies and grab handles to the turret as it looked a bit plain..

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Turret_zpsvvx1cc

And some plating to the hull from plastic card.

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Hull_2_zpsltlqeh

Next up, the main gun. The kit one is a bit of a shocker, badly moulded and not even straight..

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Gun_before_zps7k

Off with it to be replaced with some left over sprue scraps of differing diameter. I know I could have gone the metal tubing route but had none to hand and liked the idea of bodging something together instead.

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Gun_WIP_2_zps8ji

Test fitting of the turret to the hull and happy how it's coming along.

Revell_Star_Wars_AAT_%20Hull_Turret_zpsr

Coat of primer tonight and some more sanding later. 

Off to make a cup of tea and watch 'The Last Jedi' trailer for the 100th time...

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So two years on, this is being rescued from the shelf of doom - the club are having a display of Sci-Fi models at an upcoming Comic-Con event and thought it would be good to include at that.

Here's where she sat until , in all her badly brush painted tan colour....

48436953391_b5c4288690_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The kit guns are the later dual type with barrels made out of some kind of soft plastic, I guess to avoid sticking kids in the eye. I cut off the barrels but then decided to replace the lot.

48436953351_1d1ee77c86_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (2) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some plastic card, sprue and odds..

48436953106_148753c344_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Looks better I think..

48436953046_6ff1dc18df_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (5) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And since I've started using an airbrush, I thought i'd give the old girl some fresh paint - not the cleanest (or most accurate) but weathering should cover up most of my mistakes.

48437101467_7c089bb31e_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers

Dermot

• Like 9

So after touching up the paint and a coat of Future, we get to here..

48464965911_5692685543_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (7) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Next up was a coat of Flory Models wash and some chipping with Aluminium paint applied with a scouring pad.

48465124007_55bac8ffc0_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT (8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback 👍

With the final weathering done, two aerials added and a Matt Coat, she's done.

48467388756_3d25d90c46_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT_Done_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

48467388081_d0a337a1d0_b.jpgRevell Star Wars AAT_Done_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some of my attempts at weathering are a bit heavy-handed and I need to practice being more subtle with it. And some of the scratchbuilding is a bit crude but again, learned some good lessons there. But I'm happy how it's turned out from where it started as a Snap Kit bought for £2 and I think it looks ok.

48472037757_4fb2200c14_b.jpgRevell AAT Before_After by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will post some more pics in RFI, thanks for looking.

Happy modelling.

Dermot

• Like 8