F-111E, 68-020 "My Lucky Blonde"

vesthepes

Gosh what a complex linkage!!! But as long as it works!

The cockpit looks great and with the big canopy you'll still be able to see all your work. :thumbsup:

Those AM afterburner units are pretty much right to, nice!

Thanks, still haven't decided whether to ditch the wing linkage and close it up in static position.

I took some time to cut up the canopy. Scary at first but actually quite simple. A thin saw and some patience...

295g2ag.jpg

4iykw0.jpg

2u6076h.jpg

cheers

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 4

Many moons ago, just after the first Gulf War I was invited to do a walk around the F111 service hanger in Upper Heyford.  Do remember it very well, I wasn't allowed to take my camera in but I did sit in the drivers seat of a Raven and walk (quite literally all over it.  I also stood in the Bomb bay of (I think the E version and could not reach the top of the bay...

It's a very big aeroplane and the pilot seat is a long way back....

• Like 3

I forgot to say most of the F111's were stripped down, most had the majority of panels missing and I saw all the secret avionics (black boxes with knobs on)...  

I sat in the airframe that they tried to claim a shoot down in.  Apparently, with a Mirage homing in on them the crew headed into the mountains and clicked the autopilot into 'Hard ride'.  The Mirage tried to follow and hit a mountain.  I don't think the claim was honoured..

• Like 3

Truly a big plane...

I have heard about that, but it's an unoffical kill for the EF-111 and was never confirmed and Iraqis never acknowledged that. The kill was given to an F-15 which was on the F1's tail... 

On the other hand, there's a confirmed EF-111 kill, that crashed into the ground, trying to escape a missile fired by the Iraqi...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back with a little update.

The front windshield had some problems with alignment, so putty was needed for some gaps. The center piece canopy rib was placed with its resin part. Makes the office even more busy...

9uak4m.jpg

Whats worse than constructing with curved and roundly bent PE. Well, attaching it to a clear part I guess... 

There was quite an easy solution for this and it works ok so far. First I dipped the canopy parts into the floor polish (different brand, depands where you live), next step was masking.

The PE comes in to layers, no problems with gluing that. I recommend removing the rearview mirrors prior to bending. To attach the framwork onto the clear parts I used two sided scotch tape cut into tiny strips. So far, so good 

2u6lqoz.jpg

cheers

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 5

Good idea with the scotch tape, I'll remember that one,yours is  going well vasko,  I've just about got my canopy and capsuel on ,, what a  mare 

Glynn

• Like 1

Great work ob your cockpit and canopy!!

I'll leave mine shut I guess...

Regarding the wing sweep and pylon swiffle mechanism I ' have my try as well..

Lets see if it is de-Legoable ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps.

It's been a pleasant build so far, but there a huge flaw on the Academy kit. I don't know if someone mentioned it before.

The seam line between the capsule and the fuselage!! I have no idea what step should be first to get this airframe closed up without the troubles on its hump...

Here's what I thought could help out. Took me an hour to make it, but it should make things easier later on... 

2jg34fa.jpg

The decision was made: No clanky wings! No loose pylons swinging with fully loaded MERs! Off with the mechanism! Static it is!

k50q34.jpg

The resin exhaust are a nice substitute. They are an F version which had unique ones, but the differences aren't that noticable IMO.. 

1h7a5v.jpg

x5batz.jpg

cheers

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, vesthepes said:

Thanks chaps.

It's been a pleasant build so far, but there a huge flaw on the Academy kit. I don't know if someone mentioned it before.

The seam line between the capsule and the fuselage!! I have no idea what step should be first to get this airframe closed up without the troubles on its hump...

Here's what I thought could help out. Took me an hour to make it, but it should make things easier later on... 

2jg34fa.jpg

cheers

You are not he first one disovering this problem unfortunately no aftermarket solution out there...

I already fear this stage...

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vesthepes said:

Thanks chaps.

2jg34fa.jpg

The decision was made: No clanky wings! No loose pylons swinging with fully loaded MERs! Off with the mechanism! Static it is!

k50q34.jpg

The resin exhaust are a nice substitute. They are an F version which had unique ones, but the differences aren't that noticable IMO.. 

1h7a5v.jpg

x5batz.jpg

cheers

Strange, had the same problem but with the hobbyboss kit i made a prop to lift the middle hump around 1.5 mm mek'd it in place and it matched up perfectly then with the capsule, i completly feel your pain vasko

Glynn

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the back and front part are together... One of the parked F-111 configuration was with the wings swept back at 54°... so that's what I did.

So huge! What did I get myself into... 

icu545.jpg

The join looks like a battlefield. The plastic block didn't work as I thought it would. But at least I could sand and press it without worries as it is of structural use...

r9fija.jpg

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Uhh, the time is running out and I have loads still to do... Been waiting for Gunze colors for the beast to arrive... I still have strong hope I will pull it through :)

While waiting on that I did all the other stuff like wheels and undercarriage...

2upy6g7.jpg

2e4ezdj.jpg

thanks for looking in,

cherers

• Like 4