1/72 Matchbox DH/HS 125 - # FINISHED #

nimrod54

Thanks Jean,  doesn't look so virginal now that the decals are on, and despite their age they went on really well. The only problem I had was with the residue from the adhesive that held the decals to the backing paper. I got around this by making sure that I cleaned all of that away before fixing them in place.

DSC01964_zpsakzabk9w.jpg

DSC01962_zpsx58xdpav.jpg

DSC01963_zpsvedtbijw.jpg

DSC01965_zpsbtjdpx4i.jpg

Just all of the final details to add now (undercarriage doors, aerials etc.) and this one will be finished.

• Like 18

Hi John,

pretty amazing what you've achieved, considering the lurid bits of plastic you started with!

Fantastic build!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the comments.

I managed to grab a bit of time today and was able to scratch some of the aerials for on top of the fuselage. I have just popped them on in their rough position, but have since realised that the one that will carry the wire for the antenna should be on the opposite side. I will try and paint these up tomorrow and fix them on permanently.

DSC01966_zpsekkkvywd.jpg

DSC01968_zpswyzjowsj.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Superb job John always a pleasure to see Matchbox kit's build to this standard.

Cheers Steve. I think it is due to the fact that they seem to go together so well, leaving very little to clean up and generally they are accurate too. The problems I have had with this one are of my own making, the paint issue being the main one. But I must say that I have always found them a pleasure to make, and that is not something that I can say about some more up to date releases.

• Like 1

I painted the aerials up this morning and have just finished fitting those to the upper fuselage. I also made a small eyelet from some thin copper wire wrapped around a 0.45mm drill which should help when I rig them up,. I hope to finish the undercarriage doors tomorrow and then I can add the wires. 

DSC01969_zpsjbgdq8q6.jpg

DSC01970_zpsifnggjei.jpg

DSC01972_zpsf2dkpuoz.jpg

• Like 3

I have finished adding the final bits to this one, so I am sticking a fork in it and call this one done. Apart from issue with the red colour plastic showing through the paint it has been a relatively painless build, and thus quite an enjoyable one for me. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment and I hope that you have enjoyed following this one. 

DSC01973_zpsuty0prvu.jpg

DSC01977_zpskeamufzc.jpg

There are a few more photos over in the gallery. TTFN

• Like 6

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, Grandboof said:

Nice one Crisp white Thanks for sharing 

Martin H

Cheers Martin. I'm glad that you could tag along, hope that it wasn't to tedious a journey.

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is absolutely gorgeous John. A real beauty! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, that's very kind of you. I'm trying to figure out how to create shallow dunes for my final build at the moment.

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Another fantastic De Havilland build John.

Thanks for that Cookie, it has been a relatively simple build with little filler needed. Like most Matchbox kits with some care they make nice looking models.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Martin. I'm glad that you could tag along, hope that it wasn't to tedious a journey.

Far from tedious Most enjoyable and informative Thanks once again  

Martin H

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reddog said:

Late to this thread, but what a sweet model Nimrod.

I think this is going to inspire to try my hands at this kit.

Thanks Reddog. I'm glad that you like it. The kit goes together really well, you just need to take some time with the seams on the engines. If it has inspired you to have a go at building one then I'm sure that won't disappointed with the result.

8 year old me brought home some of that ol' school, water-based white white paint back when this was 1st released, & spent a weekend building up layers of paint. was nearly an inch thick in the end....

Great finish, Nimrod. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prowler0000 said:

8 year old me brought home some of that ol' school, water-based white white paint back when this was 1st released, & spent a weekend building up layers of paint. was nearly an inch thick in the end....

Great finish, Nimrod. 

That red plastic can certainly be a b****r to cover. When I was eight I didn't bother with paint, I was usually flying my aircraft over soldiers dropping garden soil bombs. :D

Thanks for your kind comment prowler.

• Like 1