F8U-1(F-8A) & F8U-2(F-8C) Crusader 1/72 conversion

Robert

This arrived from Muroc Models the other day and thought that if you was thinking of ordering you might like to see what you get. The parts are well formed and the intake lip is really sharp with no breakage and both conversion contain vacform front canopies and comprehensive instructions. The sets are for the Academy kit. Great service and reasonable priced.

F-8C

F-8C nose

F-8A

F-8A Nose

Robert

Edited by Robert
Changed photo hosting
  • Like 3

Giorgio, it was $13.50 from California which I think is reasonable. They came in small cardboard boxes which stood up to the postal service.

Robert

• Like 1

Curious as to why they've moulded the whole fwd fuselage (as opposed to just the radome), but I guess they had a good reason.

I've always been drawn to the early Crusaders and their rebuilt forms, guess I'll be getting a couple of these.

1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The vents behind the radome are different and the bulge for the later radome goes aft past that...

I knew there would be a good reason.  Thanks for that.

As nice as these are TBH in 1/72 with a little work you can get a good result from an F-8E.

dixonf8ca.jpg

I have some other Muroc stuff and his work is good stuff.

Julien

8 hours ago, Julien said:

As nice as these are TBH in 1/72 with a little work you can get a good result from an F-8E.

Julien

YOU can get a good result with a little work, I on the other hand have biffed up quite a few E kits in the attempt, anything that would help me get it right for once is a godsend!

Nice F-8U2/F-8C BTW!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

YOU can get a good result with a little work, I on the other hand have biffed up quite a few E kits in the attempt, anything that would help me get it right for once is a godsend!

Nice F-8U2/F-8C BTW!

Thanks. I just cut the hump out and filled the hole with miliput.

dixonf8cd.jpg

For the nose I filled the cone again with miliput and re profiled it with a sanding stick. You need a good reference pic to do this. Tom Weinel (superheat on ARC) did these pictures which greatly help with the nose;

Nose1.jpg

Nose2.jpg

Julien

The different vents behind the radome in the earlier variants are one of the reason why I gave up doing the modification myself. They may not be hard to carve in the plastic but making 3 identical small vents is beyond my skills and patience (the latter more than the former). That's why I like Muroc's solution