1/48 Hobby Boss F-111F Aardvark **FINISHED**

Muzz

Great start Muzz. I like the idea with the engines. I might borrow that and take it a little bit further, by removing the middle part so that I don't need to much weight in the nose to keep it's nose wheel on the ground. I am also have to look if it is possible to sweep the wings to save some room on the shelf.

Cheers,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great start Muzz. I like the idea with the engines. I might borrow that and take it a little bit further, by removing the middle part so that I don't need to much weight in the nose to keep it's nose wheel on the ground. I am also have to look if it is possible to sweep the wings to save some room on the shelf.

Cheers,

Thanks, my plan is to leave out the middle section too! Definitely possible to sweep the wings back, in fact I'd say the kits been designed to allow out but for some reason the miss the option out in the instructions.

Murray

• Like 1

Wheel bays fitted into the lower main fuselage, the front and rear sections of the lower fuselage have also been joined together. I've also added the cradle for the PaveTack pod, I didn't bother painting the weapons bay as it won't be seen.

20170407_143231_edit_1491577210573.jpg

• Like 7

Ok folks, started to work on the vac form canopy, building up the edges of the cockpit edges with scrap plastic to help with fit and limit the amount of putty required. Having never used a vac form canopy before looking for advice on what adhesive to use, reluctant to use CA as it may fog the plastic but I'm thinking PVA might not give me the strength required to hold everything in place.

20170409_160720.jpg

20170409_160709.jpg

• Like 2

Muzz could you split the screen down the middle and widen it with a strip of card stock,or would it make the frame far to wide,  I've got one of those canopys on its way from aus, but i cant see all around yours, your the guinea pig for me you see:P

• Like 1

Hewy, the canopy is wide enough and also flexible enough to make any adjustments. The sil around the front windscreen area is quite deep so you have to build it up so the canopy sits flush with the fuselage. I'm planning on getting it fixed into position before adding the cockpit tub as I think this will make things a lot easier.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm planning on getting it fixed into position before adding the cockpit tub as I think this will make things a lot easier.

That's a good idea- allows you to get to both sides, etc.  I don't think I'd actually attach the clear, but have the "landing" for it ready.  One thing that might be wise is to coat the clear with "Future" (whatever name)- that apparently protects it from glue fumes, etc.

bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

That's a good idea- allows you to get to both sides, etc.  I don't think I'd actually attach the clear, but have the "landing" for it ready.  One thing that might be wise is to coat the clear with "Future" (whatever name)- that apparently protects it from glue fumes, etc.

bob

That's my thinking Bob, as I didn't want any unpainted plastic or putty showing through on the inside. I like you're idea about dipping the canopy, I'll crack on with that tonight.

Murray

• Like 1

Making more progress with the canopy, it's been dipped in Klear and allowed to dry. I've added some more plastic to the cockpit sil to give more surfaces for the clear plastic to bond with.

20170410_185417.jpg

20170410_185434.jpg

20170410_185515.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

How did you trim your clear part?  I did a rough cut on the separate clamshells this morning, and it was much more "tough" than I expected.

I used a pair of stainless steel scissors to cut the majority of the waste plastic off then used a new scalpel blade to cut around the outline and clean up the edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Muzz good work may i ask  what your choice of glue will be,

Glynn

Hi Glynn

I used MEK to attach the canopy and then once dried I used CA sparingly around the outside to reinforce the join. It seems to have worked well.

• Like 1

Canopy attached as described above using MEK and CA. I sealed a few small gaps with thin strops of plastic and then went around the edges with Mr Surfacer.

20170412_170505.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Wow, I'm surprised that it didn't just shrivel up- MEK is pretty hot solvent!

I tested it on a bit of the scrap clear plastic first!:winkgrin:

• Like 1

nice work Muzz with the canopy, those vacform ones can be a bit of a pain at times to fit and get a nice join afterwards. I use the same method to cut them out as well, plus those nail file cards are really good as well to help shape and smooth the edges as well.