B25G in RAF markings?

Murray

13 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Yep, that is FR209, the one and only, as in Murodel's post 4 5 on the previous page. Nice looking sheet, that, though an odd title as I can't see any examples of the Mitchell III on it.

Does a Mitchell III equate to a B-25J?  If so, options 8 and 10 would appear to be Mk.III's, upper turret is in the fwd position...

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Just now, Work In Progress said:

Yes, so it is. I am getting old and blind obviously. 8 and 10 are both J / III

Happens to us all I'm afraid!

• Like 1

Well it seems like we've got well and truly to the bottom of this one gents

I plan on making a start to my Italeri B-25G tomorrow, of course in FR-209's markings. I have some RAF lettering for the 'FR209' and I'm pretty handy with mask making for the rest of the markings. Again, everyone, you have all been a massive help! Thanks again!

On 08/04/2017 at 8:19 AM, Wez said:

Take a look at option 11 being offered on this forthcoming DK Decals sheet

I've got mine ordered, not for the B-25G but for the other options on the sheet.

What's the EDSG/option 15(though the instructions say "Royal Blue) one at the bottom?

Edited by Miggers

3 minutes ago, Miggers said:

What's the EDSG/option 15(though the instructions say "Royal Blue) one at the bottom?

I thought it was a PRU aircraft painted in a darker blue than PRU Blue, but maybe the lighter aircraft which has been interpreted as being in PRU Blue was in a lighter blue and option 15 should really be PRU Blue?

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

I thought it was a PRU aircraft painted in a darker blue than PRU Blue, but maybe the lighter aircraft which has been interpreted as being in PRU Blue was in a lighter blue and option 15 should really be PRU Blue?

Try this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24105-raf-photo-recce-mitchells/#comment-263675

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

That sounds more like it Wez,but option 14(the SEAC marked number) does look more like PRU blue.

1 minute ago, rossm said:

Ta Ross.

Always like a nice Billy,one of my favorite aeroplanes.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 1:47 AM, Seahawk said:

But NB this is CWHM's "Hot Gen" painted up as a Mitchell of 98 Sq.  The real aircraft saw no military service and CWHM have not painted up a serial.  Surprised they could't find a glass nose for a more realistic representation.   So the case for the RAF's ever having used B-25 ground strafers remains with the prosecution.

The CWH do have a glass nose for "Hot Gen" but have never gotten around to fitting it.  Their airplane is a B-25J and the original "Hot Gen" was a Mitchell II most likely FW275.  The serial it carries, HD372, is a carry over from when it was marked as VO-D.

The Museum has posted a photo of the original "Hot Gen" which, of course, confirms the glass nose.

B2523.jpg

Sorry for the divergence from the original topic.

Jim

17 hours ago, Miggers said:

EDSG don't enter into it.  The bottom (darker one) represents an ex-Dutch Mitchell as operated by 5 PRU: when assigned they were "refinished in a blue similar to the 'royal blue' colour of the Hurricanes received from 2 PRU".  The lighter one represents one of 2 B-25Cs formerly of 10 Air Force USAAF and allocated to 684 Sq on 5 July 1943 (MA956 and MA957): these were refinished in PRU Blue.  However Geoff Thomas, consciously overcoming his usual reluctance to identify colours from BW photos, believed that the blue used was lighter that MAP PRU Blue (reflectivity 14%) used on the Mosquitoes received later.  He suggests either fade or a locally produced mix containing less black and more blue pigment than MAP PRU Blue resulting in a colour with reflectivity akin to Medium Sea Grey (about 25%).

BTW the 5 PRU aircraft retained their original Dutch registration numbers (N5-xxx) serials, applied in 8" Night characters.  Wonder if DK have picked up on that?

All lifted shamelessly from page 223 of Geoff Thomas' excellent Eyes of the Phoenix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

EDSG don't enter into it.  The bottom (darker one) represents an ex-Dutch Mitchell as operated by 5 PRU: when assigned they were "refinished in a blue similar to the 'royal blue' colour of the Hurricanes received from 2 PRU".  The lighter one represents one of 2 B-25Cs formerly of 10 Air Force USAAF and allocated to 684 Sq on 5 July 1943 (MA956 and MA957): these were refinished in PRU Blue.  However Geoff Thomas, consciously overcoming his usual reluctance to identify colours from BW photos, believed that the blue used was lighter that MAP PRU Blue (reflectivity 14%) used on the Mosquitoes received later.  He suggests either fade or a locally produced mix containing less black and more blue pigment than MAP PRU Blue resulting in a colour with reflectivity akin to Medium Sea Grey (about 25%).

BTW the 5 PRU aircraft retained their original Dutch registration numbers (N5-xxx) serials, applied in 8" Night characters.  Wonder if DK have picked up on that?

All lifted shamelessly from page 223 of Geoff Thomas' excellent Eyes of the Phoenix.

Ta Hawk.

The old FAA colours eye certainly thought EDSG.

A bluer, less black (? grey?) version of PRU Blue sounds like Light Mediterranean Blue: I think it wise to be generally a little sceptical of "specially mixed" colours in general, and especially where there was something similar in stores.  The dark royal blue version does seem to be pretty well documented as a mix based on an ICI colour called "Bosun Blue", and stemmed from the MU at Alexandria which does have form in the matter.  However, I have to say that it does sound rather like Dark Mediterranean Blue.  For modelling purposes LMB is available from Colourcoats, and there has to be considerable tolerance as the original B-25 colour isn't well recorded.  I don't know of a source for DMB.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1