Revell Pirate Ship with lighting

Hi

For those who followed my build of this kit HERE I have now managed to get some pictures of the finished product. As with most of my builds I saw the chance of actually adding some lighting to the 3 large lanterns at the rear of the ship. It seemed a shame to waste the chance. Then I thought that I may as well add some kind of lighting to the inside. The lighting needed to look like flickering candles or flames and so I added some flickering LED's to create the atmosphere of drafty lower decks. I have added a video to show the lighting HERE.

As a build, it was pretty intense with the rigging but with help from other members on here and a lot of patience I managed to get it looking semi ok.

Thanks for looking in and I look forward to any comments :bye:

A Pirate Ship

Pirate01_zpsrvmmn5f5

Pirate02_zpsvtowxwhsPirate03_zpspebdhgr4Pirate05_zpsalnxhukhPirate06_zpspfczawvsPirate10_zpsezuz1vq9Pirate11_zpsu0iz00nzPirate13_zpsrjorgocqPirate14_zpsl5t3mkedPirate17_zps6dpr5iioPirate19_zpsg6w9djsfPirate21_zps8nfoajd5Pirate24_zpsx90gilnqPirate26_zpsx7wtyz0bPirate29_zpskebpnm41Pirate31_zpsvnodniymPirate32_zpsoh9683qePirate36_zps4qjjfbq2Pirate39_zpsqnaxu5uy

Pirate38_zpsgktocas5Pirate41_zps4crtto9h

Pirate47_zps53d9il0m

Pirate48_zpsthd1zoqn

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 27

8 hours ago, allyby said:

That looks great, the flickering lighting really shows it up, Clean and tidy build and a great finish, how long did this one take?

Thanks, Allyby. Much appreciated.

Actually it seemed to take ages with the preparation work on the masts, cannons, deck furniture, etc, but when it came to putting it all together it took no time at all. All of the side sections could be painted and prepared before assembly with just a little touching up on the joints when glued and they all slotted into position perfectly. So much could be pre painted before assembly, it was a pleasure to build. The rigging took quite a while but once you got the hang of it, even that seemed to go well.

6 hours ago, Canadian Pirate said:

This pirate approves of your bonny vessel, matey!

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job,you deserve a medal just for the rigging...

Thanks guys. Really glad you appreciate it.

With the rigging, if you can read a London Underground map then you should have no problems and it is not something to attempt after a whiskey or 2 (I tried it and managed to tie my fingers together).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A lovely build, the lighting is very effective.

Martian

Thanks Martian. Appreciate the good feedback.

I must admit that I was a little sceptical about the flickering lighting but it now seems like it was a good idea after all.

On 29/03/2017 at 5:25 AM, Brad said:

Excellent work, I really like it.

On 29/03/2017 at 8:55 PM, stevej60 said:

Fantastic job all round.

Thanks, Guys. I never take it for granted that it would be to everyone's liking but I'm glad of the positive response.

On 29/03/2017 at 6:20 PM, Deadman Disciple said:

Simply Amazing, an awesome job.

I bet all that rigging was a right pain, but it was well worth it. t2037.gif

Wayne.

Thanks, Wayne. Like everything, it you spend some time planning it, it makes it easier. I always used to be a good map reader when travelling all over the UK and that sure came in handy.

At times I had to use two sets of tweezers at the same time and I was never any good at holding chopsticks, so I had I managed to get tangled up many times.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, ukmodeller said:

At times I had to use two sets of tweezers at the same time and I was never any good at holding chopsticks, so I had I managed to get tangled up many times.

Touche,

I had the same problem rigging up my Revell 1/400 Titanic, especially using the tweezers to knot up one end underneath the deck plates.

Also using the tweezers to thread through the tiny holes on the funnels/smokestacks & onto the decks.

Very frustrating indeed.

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

On 04/04/2017 at 11:17 PM, Rwa66 said:

A very nicely built model, neat painting and the rigging detail is superb.

Cheers Richard

On 05/04/2017 at 1:16 PM, Deadman Disciple said:

Touche,

I had the same problem rigging up my Revell 1/400 Titanic, especially using the tweezers to knot up one end underneath the deck plates.

Also using the tweezers to thread through the tiny holes on the funnels/smokestacks & onto the decks.

Very frustrating indeed.

Wayne.

On 05/04/2017 at 10:33 PM, Lee Gartside said:

Complex and beautiful

Lee

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the good feedback.

For anyone wanting to try building a galleon I would definately recommend this kit. The main kit goes together very well, with very little correction required. As for the rigging. The instructions take you step-by-step through sections and with some patience (and the willingness to walk away for an hour when things seem to be getting too heavy) it is a pleasure to build.

The size means that there are very few small pieces to worry about.

Thanks again guys