Italeri 1:24 scale DAF XF105 truck and trailer with lights

Hi folks :thumbsup:

I know most people are not so keen on modern vehicles but I managed to get this kit for half price and couldn't resist.

My last truck kit was the Iveco Stralis Truck Cab that I added lights to  HERE

I was interested in adding a trailer to it with connected lighting but I could not justify spending all that money on just a trailer when I could buy a kit with much more work and parts. Anyway, I saw this kit and thought that it would give me the perfect opportunity to add lights to both the cab and trailer.

I am making more and more kits by Italeri as the quality is quite good and the prices are reasonable. The plastic seems more brittle than Revell and some of the part connections to the sprues can be tough to cut through but, overall, the quality and detail is good. The connection between the cab and trailer is just a 6 pin connector for when I have to separate them for cleaning, etc.

This is the result. I hope it inspires others to have a go. I have posted a video HERE

Thanks for looking folks. Any comments welcome.

First, the impressive box:

DAF01_zpsdkvkvbtmDAF01A_zps9vpspw0yDAF01B_zpsqqz22oqjDAF02_zpszbjgdt1uDAF04_zpspptzlgfcDAF06_zpsbjrp3wj9DAF08_zpsi0goumpa

Side lights on:

DAF11_zpsrwmdlxa4

Side and brake lights on:

DAF12_zpskif87rub

Trailer reversing lights:

DAF13_zpsldlmpkms

Female driver wearing HV jacket and seat belts:

DAFCAB11_zpsjdhfmu0r

Head, side and high beam/flasher on:

DAFCAB08_zpsttfpxswsDAFCAB10_zps31xkp0phDAFCAB14_zpsmwn523cb

Internal lights on:

DAFCAB24_zpsbr0mlzky

Notice the curtains on the left side of the cab. The top bunk is folded upwards as in the real thing and I have added a folded ladder. I will try to get a picture of this.

DAFCAB19_zpstujpdiqpDAFCAB25_zpsl8chsrtu

Preparation of the dash, with Sat Nav, etc.

DAFCAB22A_zpsejj2lnkk

The hose connections:

DAFCAB26_zpsd9c3j4uqDAFCAB27_zpscvawhwhqDAFCAB28_zpsiib82xlr

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Just Brilliant 😊, looking real, joy to look at.

Wow, Gerrard. That sure was quick. Thanks for the kind comment. It makes these builds so worthwhile when others appreciate it :worthy:

6 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Stunning looking truck,lovely job :thumbsup2:....

4 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

Very nice build, I really like the DAF XF.

Your lighting really brings the model to life.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks Stuart and Vince for your kind comments.

Glad to hear that you like it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

Think i got stuck behind this truck today on the a14, he wasn't using those inicators then ...great job 

Glynn

Thanks, Glynn.

With the amount of switches and accessories on the steering wheel, they probably couldn't find the indicators.

Before building this I studied a lot of video's and when you see the luxurious cabins you can understand why they crawl along so slow at times. They just look so amazing to drive and seem so comfortable that I don't think I'd want to get to my destination in a hurry.

They have everything inside that you could wish for, TV, stereo systems, microwaves, etc. Home from home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An oldish thread I know but if you have the orange "ADR" square board on the rear of the trailer then you need one on the front the tractor unit, other than that great build...!!!

Best ever truck I've driven was my XF105, loved "my" FJ12 AWZ...

On 15/05/2017 at 8:56 PM, BA777 said:

An oldish thread I know but if you have the orange "ADR" square board on the rear of the trailer then you need one on the front the tractor unit, other than that great build...!!!

Best ever truck I've driven was my XF105, loved "my" FJ12 AWZ...

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

Not being a trucker myself I was unaware of these regulations, except the rear warning plates that are always displayed. Before starting the kit I did study hundreds of pictures but did not pick up on that particular rule. After doing a search on the Internet I was actually amazed at the amount of regulations that cover what these trucks carry. It must be a nightmare for haulage companies.

Dare I say that I found it all so interesting? :rage:

I will definately update my build and post a picture on here as soon as I get time and am grateful for the heads-up.

I've always been in awe of HGV's since I was able to walk (over 55 years ago) and my dream was to get my Class 1 (at the time) and drive them. Alas, life doesn't always allow us to follow our childhood dreams and I never managed it, but I have always kept the facination. Unfortunately I have never been able to actually sit in one of these cabs and could only rely on video's or pictures online. The way the internals have changed over the years is incredible.

Thanks agian for your guidance. :thumbsup:

Kevin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2017 at 4:22 PM, brianthemodeller said:

Superb! Brought back happy memories of my time as an engineer at DAF!

The interior looks spot on. How much is scrstch built as the kit has diddly squat detail behind the seats as I recall? 

Thanks Brian.

I take it that you also test drove these cabs? Must be a joy to drive I'm sure. I envy you there.

The internal details were quite good, with all the storage areas on the dash and above the driver and passenger seats. I was thinking of opening them up to show a TV and microwave but decided against it as they could not be seen from the outside. I did add a built in Sat Nav to the dash though and made a large storage box (that could be pulled out) which went between the seats but under the bed as shown in a video that I saw. The kit just had a big open hole there, which looked awkward.

With the top bunk bed, I added a false bottom to the bed and fixed it raised from the front supported by straps. To the underside of the bed I made a small folding ladder for use in climbing onto the bunk bed when it needed to be used. Lastly I added curtains to the interior to create some realism, seat belts and a picture to the rear of the cab.

It's a pity that more detail is not included with the rear of the cab but they seem to concentrate more on the dash, etc.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1