Peter Jackson's Dambusters and HBO's The mighty eight...

Andre B

7 hours ago, rayprit said:

By the time this film is eventually made, there should be - hopefully, 3 x Lancasters in Britian flying!  Its hoped that "Just Jayne" may be getting her airworthy certificate in the near future

Where's the third one coming from?

Can't see Vera coming over again.

4 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Where's the third one coming from?

Can't see Vera coming over again.

If Peter Jackson wants to fund it, I'm sure the Canadians would like to come over again, especially if NX511 is back in the air.

• Like 1

Just so long as any remake is not full of appalling dialogue, big music, ridiculous battle scenes and patronising moral messages then it should be quite enjoyable. I would like something as tasteful as the original and not a crass glorification. 

• Like 3

The mock ups are in store in Wellington. The full scale Lanc was 'unveiled' at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton, home of The Vintage Aviator, builder of fine full size Great War aeroplanes. Reportedly, parts from Kermit Weeks' Lanc KB976, the former Strathallan one were either used or assisted in creating accurate components for the mock up. The third link in Max Headroom's post on March 27th is NX665 at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland, note the two .5 in guns in the rear turret. This is what it looks like now:

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/nx665

I was under the understanding that Gibson's dog was named as such because it was a black Lab.

Edited by nuuumannn

Filmmakers like Jackson are always going to face this dilemma when dealing with social history: airbrush out the racism and sexism of the past to make clean copies of a falsified past, or leave it in and wait for Twitter to rain brimstone upon them.

My own middle-class grandparents routinely used the 'n' word - calling a dog the same name was for their generation part of the deep-rooted and casual racism that was commonplace in British society at all levels. 

What Jackson faces in this respect is the paradox that makes human history so complex and difficult to process at an emotional level (let alone film) - you can have historical subjects who were brave or selfless and did extraordinary things for others, whilst these same individuals simultanenously nurtured prejudice and discrimination in their everyday behaviour.

Tony

• Like 3

FWIW recent TV showings of the original film in UK have not altered or dubbed out the name of the dog.   

Of more probable concern than the name of the dog issue is the fact that Stephen Fry is supposedly writing the script. If he manages to avoid a Black Adder parody, out of context speech forms and/or airing his personal political views it will be a miracle.  I have no confidence that he has the slightest appreciation for the character and culture of the wartime RAF. 

Nick

• Like 4

On Thursday, April 06, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Nick Millman said:

FWIW recent TV showings of the original film in UK have not altered or dubbed out the name of the dog.   

Of more probable concern than the name of the dog issue is the fact that Stephen Fry is supposedly writing the script. If he manages to avoid a Black Adder parody, out of context speech forms and/or airing his personal political views it will be a miracle.  I have no confidence that he has the slightest appreciation for the character and culture of the wartime RAF. 

Nick

Hmm I thought this was an apolitical forum Nick.Take it you are not a fan.

Personally I would be very suprised if he didnt research the subject matter throughly and cross check references.

I find him to be very professional.

Maybe I can tempt him in to a film about Taranto or the channel dash.

;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hmm I thought this was an apolitical forum Nick.Take it you are not a fan.

Personally I would be very suprised if he didnt research the subject matter throughly and cross check references.

I find him to be very professional.

Maybe I can tempt him in to a film about Taranto or the channel dash.

;)

Last time I looked being a Stephen Fry "fan" was not compulsory, even on an apolitical modelling forum.

Nick

Last I heard the script had already been written and has been for quite a while. He did joke about the name and said he had solved the conundrum by giving it an unbelievably rude name not repeatable on this forum. 

Like everything else about the film it's now in deep storage whilst Peter Jackson gets through his interminal backlog of prior commitments.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Last I heard the script had already been written and has been for quite a while. He did joke about the name and said he had solved the conundrum by giving it an unbelievably rude name not repeatable on this forum. 

Like everything else about the film it's now in deep storage whilst Peter Jackson gets through his interminal backlog of prior commitments.

Trevor

Typical. He seems to enjoy airing scatalogical and sexual innuendo as much as his politics. 

Nick

3 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

Typical. He seems to enjoy airing scatalogical and sexual innuendo as much as his politics. 

The last interview with Fry I found on the subject (from 2011, mind) had the dog named "Digger".

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, Harley John said:

Ah CGI, all films seem to have what the wife & I call The Halls of Khazad-dun moment from the first Lord of The Rings movie by, oh, er, Peter Jackson, when the CGI loses all semblance of reality. Some of it is truly appalling and makes Ray Harryhausen's work look positively life like.

Which kind of illustrates that most people will accept bad CGI in SF/Fantasy, but not in a WWII movie.

I suggest that Jackson calls the dog 'Gollum', just so that the movie has one of these unsubtle nerd references that all modern movies are obliged to have..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

The last interview with Fry I found on the subject (from 2011, mind) had the dog named "Digger".

Which doesn't sound like the "unbelievably rude name" he joked about as reported by Max Headroom. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Screenplays_by_Stephen_Fry

Maybe it will be a musical . . . 

Nick

Hmm well I kinda think it's a good thing that someone is bothering to make a 'new' WW2 film and is from what I believe a good director/producer.

I have no doubts that Mr Fry will do a good job and at least it will be British in outlook.I seem to remember a film in the recent past

about how the Americans (god bless em) sorted out the enigma codes.

Frankly I would be more concerned about the actors....the old films Dam busters ,Cruel sea(my personal fav) ,Ice cold in Alex (probably the best war film in the world....other Lagers are available lol) were liberally populated with people who had experienced war or actually served...Richard Todd being an example.Also I actually quite like black and white....but that's just me.

As for a musical ....reminds me of the chorus of ner net ners to the DB march at the 'neuralgia'club in decimomanu.....heady days sigh.

• Like 1

Whilst I wait for the film to happen I've been speculating about how do you 'reinterpret' the story to avoid a slavish copy of the original and I've come to the conclusion that it could be done as a flashback. Many years ago I read Len Deighton's "Goodbye Mickey Mouse" (film that too please)  and it (and Titanic) uses this device to tell the story. So in my mind you have a veteran revisiting important sites in the story with grand children and explaining what he did.

Anyone else with an idea?

Trevor

• Like 2

Don't think there is any need to "reinterpret" the story is there? Just tell it as accurately as possible. And I don't think that would automatically make it a slavish copy of the original film. Plus I think there is probably more materiel for the film-makers to work with now than then in a way, from bios of "Dinghy" Young to Johnny Johnsons memoirs. I think I personally own five books including Gibson's about Operation Chastise and it's not even one of my main areas of interest. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2017 at 17:43, bentwaters81tfw said:

If Peter Jackson wants to fund it, I'm sure the Canadians would like to come over again, especially if NX511 is back in the air.

Have just watched The Reunion of Giants. Very humbling and brought a tear to my eye. The last leg of the Canadians trip was a bit hairy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Just seen the clip on the youtube....really good thanks for the hint

It was on PBS America on Sky the other day. Just had a look through and its not in the on demand section. I'm sure they will show it again. 

Was a wonderful program. Lots of veterans in it. A few engine problems. Bit of everything. 

I did find a show on Thursday on Nat Geo - War heroes of the sky about the Lancaster. 

All the best, Mart. 

Edited by Martin Ford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm (as usual) a bit late joining this thread. When it was first announced that there was going to be a remake of The Dambusters, I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I was pleased to see that it was going to happen, but on the other, I knew that it would rewrite history once again. I am most definitely against the latter because it's the slippery slope. Oh I know that there are going to be a few who are going to jump on what I say, but they are entitled to their opinion as am I. The fact of the matter is that the dog's name was what it was as was the code word transmitted by the aircrews. Why change them for the sake of PC? It's happening too often. Don't even get me started over swastikas not being allowed to be displayed in some places. If you don't tell it like it is, then history will suffer. My 5 year old grandson is getting interested in aircraft, and one day I will sit down with him and we will watch (the original) film together, and I will explain to him about why the dog was called what he was, and why it's not a nice word to use to describe someone.

I personally think that the Peter Jackson version should be true to history as much as possible. I know that the word offends a lot of people, but maybe if there was some kind of warning at the beginning of the film that it contained language that might offend some people, then they wouldn't have to go and see it. After all, if you didn't like gratuitous sex scenes in films, you wouldn't go and see Last Tango in Paris.

John.

• Like 4

I was talking to the fellas who work in Hannants London and they told me that Peter Jackson had visited the shop a while ago. When they asked him about his Dambusters remake, he said he was getting really tired of people asking him about it and it had been put on a back-burner.

I wouldn't hold my breath about when the film will be coming out.... maybe in the next ten years, maybe never. Only time will tell. 

Cheers.

Chris.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2017 at 0:26 AM, Procopius said:

Changing one code word doesn't change the import or the effect of the raid

Indeed, but over time it can change the next generations perspective of history and unfortunately history is an uncomfortable bedfellow for us all; many wrongs have been done by many nations over time against many peoples.

Much of what has happened was and  still is wrong, but history is our learning curve, erase it or modify it and we learn nothing. 

As for the film and HBO series, I shall watch both....I have been waiting long enough and although I am not a lover of CGI it does allow a full squadron of Lancaster's to be airborne; as long as they are modelled correctly, what could be better than that?

Gary

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Indeed, but over time it can change the next generations perspective of history and unfortunately history is an uncomfortable bedfellow for us all; many wrongs have been done by many nations over time against many peoples.

Much of what has happened was and  still is wrong, but history is our learning curve, erase it or modify it and we learn nothing. 

As for the film and HBO series, I shall watch both....I have been waiting long enough and although I am not a lover of CGI it does allow a full squadron of Lancaster's to be airborne; as long as they are modelled correctly, what could be better than that?

Gary

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Too many people just want to sweep the bad things under the carpet instead of facing them full on. If you don't speak the offending word, how are younger generations going to know that the derogatory use of it is a completely unacceptable thing. Yes, things should be banned from being used but not depicted. I still think it's ridiculous to ban the depiction of the swastika on model aircraft. If we're going to ban something just because some bunch of extreme right wing looneys have used it as their emblem, does that mean that we will have to give up the cross of St. George or the Union Jack? More thought needed and less knee jerk.

John.

• Like 2