AEG G.IV Late - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

AEG G.IV Late

1:32 Wingnut Wings

aeg100.jpg

The AEG G.IV late first started to appear with front line units in early 1917 although it wasn’t until the summer that were available in useful numbers. Developed from an early concept of the heavily armed ‘battleplane’ which was designed to fight it’s way through enemy formations, it was the first of the line to be intended solely as a bomber. The battleplane concept was proven to be flawed after heavy losses were suffered, although it partly resurfaced in later years with the Me.110 ‘Zerstorer’.

The G.IV is less well known than the Gotha series of bombers, but in fact was able to carry a heavier bomb load. It was also the most popular amongst aircrews as it was considered to be the easiest of the twin engine bombers to fly. At first it was used as day time bomber, but heavy losses soon saw it switched to night bombing raids. Another lesson that was re-learned in second world war.

The kit was reviewed almost exactly 2 years ago, but deserved to be allocated sufficient time to tackle the build, which has taken until now.

[Edit] Forgot to say there is a Work in Progress here.[/Edit]
It is not one for begginers, but is not actually that difficult to build if you have a couple of Wingnut Wings kits under your belt. Of their bigger kits I would think it is one of the simplest to build. There are no wooden areas to depict, the rigging is actually pretty straighforward, being mostly 'X's of wires in the wings. And the fit is so spectacularly good it self aligns everything as you fit it together. The only thing to be wary of is whacking things on your workbench as it gets bigger.

There are options to display the engines fully cowled or fully opened. I follwed the suggestion in the instructions to 'mix and match' to create a mostly open framework with the lower parts using elements of cowling. Almost any combination is legitimate, as period photographs will show. It is anothe winner from Wingnut Wings, as I thoroughly enkoyed the build from start to finish.

It has proven to be more of a challenge to photograph, due to it's size. Hope you like it.

aeg101.jpg

aeg102.jpg

aeg103.jpg

aeg104.jpg

aeg105.jpg

aeg106.jpg

aeg107.jpg

aeg108.jpg

aeg109.jpg

aeg110.jpg

aeg111.jpg

aeg112.jpg

aeg113.jpg

To give an idea of its size, here it is with a WNW Albatros.

aeg115.jpg

aeg114.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 52

Exquisite, those engines look like a work of art on their own. Beautiful, it's only a matter of time before I fall foul of one of WnW kits!

Eng

• Like 1

Hello, John -

Bit of an ugly duckling for my taste, this one - but I was not wrong in predicting that this would live up to your usual (very)  high standard of workmanship.

Truly Outstanding.   I'm still awaiting the arrival of my WNW Camel, but I'm interested to know what your next project will be, mate.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

What a monster! Fantastic build, from all respects! I'd almost say 'fanatic' build… ;-)

A minor maybe nit pick: a bit hard to see from the photos, but it looks like the aft pointing arm of the wing crosses is covering the aileron gap? In that case, easy to remedy with a quick scalpel cut…

Amazing modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

I've followed this build on the WIP, and it looks fantastic. Sadly such a project is beyond me, and indeed my display cabinet, but i have enjoyed greatly watching you build it. Great skills, beautiful aircraft.

• Like 1

Superb! :like: Looks like you could prime the engines, spin the props and be off!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Hello, John -

Bit of an ugly duckling for my taste, this one - but I was not wrong in predicting that this would live up to your usual (very)  high standard of workmanship.

Truly Outstanding.   I'm still awaiting the arrival of my WNW Camel, but I'm interested to know what your next project will be, mate.

Regards

Dave

Thanks guys. Dave, I think I'll go for the Junkers J.1 - no rigging, just control wires! Unless of course my Camels turn up first, then I might be tempted to start one of them!

19 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

What a monster! Fantastic build, from all respects! I'd almost say 'fanatic' build… ;-)

A minor maybe nit pick: a bit hard to see from the photos, but it looks like the aft pointing arm of the wing crosses is covering the aileron gap? In that case, easy to remedy with a quick scalpel cut…

Amazing modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, they are separate decals that don't cover the gap, so all is ok there!

John

• Like 1

A stunning work of art Viking, and the build was very informative as well. It's not my usual aviation era, but you make it look very tempting. :hmmm:

• Like 1