Ansaldo S.V.A. 5 Early Fly 1/72

I've got this in my stash too, I really must get around to it, it's a gorgeous little aircraft! Any problems so far on the parts fit?

Ian

Well, it is a short run kit, so don't expect it to be something like Tamygawa:)  Nevertheless, the dimensions and size are pretty accurate, so it is a fairly good representation of the model of the actual aircraft. Plastic is a bit too soft for my taste. The fit, in general, is not so bad, except for the mounting of the wings. The kit suffers two major problems which I realized a bit too late. First one is the place of exhausting pipes is wrong, they moved too forward. In reality, the first pipe should be in the place of the second one on the kit. The second problem is tear-like mounts of the struts on the fuselage. They have a wrong shape (which is not a big problem since it was a number of different variations of them and it can be easily adjusted with sanding). The problem is that the points where struts should go are out of alignment with other strut's point on the nose of the fuselage and on the wings, moreover the distance between them is wrong too. Also, the upper wing is given as one-piece detail, that in actuality is two sperate wings joined by longerons and metal tube. All that fixing made all provided in the kit struts completely useless except V-shaped fuselage ones, all others I had to scratch build for this kit. So the same goes for the cockpit windshield, bomb racks, few items in the cockpit, tail skid, exhaust pipes, flame suppressors, horizontal tail support all these were the scratch build.  Also, I used extensively foil for all appropriate places. As for the photoetched parts I used Tom's Modelworks Set #304 French Interior for some gauges in the cockpit, Ace 7253 - Vickers Machine Gun Mk.I, Eduard 72438 - Wire Stretchers & controlhorns and GoNza 72201.

Now, the plywood is not a paint job, for that, I downloaded a bunch of pictures of actual plywood from the internet, played with them in photoshop and printed my own decals (it took me more than a dozen attempts before I was satisfied with results). Also, keep in mind if you will decide to build the same aircraft as me, it had numbers in its tail as well as on horizontal tail, however, there is only one pair of numbers provided in the decal, so you will have to recreate another one. 

IMG_6614_zpscksr84og.jpgIMG_6616_zpsph0vnug6.jpgIMG_6626_zpswhnm9szv.jpg

IMG_6646_zpsulqfms3l.jpgIMG_6648_zpshfwumcdo.jpg

IMG_6658_zpsgusdpfda.jpgIMG_6656_zpsicxxkdhk.jpg

IMG_6691_zpsdesmetnf.jpg

IMG_6701_zpseftati4b.jpg

IMG_6740_zps8tioyyfb.jpg

IMG_6739_zpsv8jpcx9w.jpg

• Like 1