Hi Chaps

Sorry this is a bit of a late start but I have been busy finishing a flying boat thats been on the go for a while. Half my stash will fit into this group build so I may try and do a few. Here is my starter model. I built the Attacker many years ago from Magna resin kit then when the CA kit came out I bought a few to do the various sub models of Attacker. My first was the Supermarine 521 better known as the HP88 which I did in 2007. This model had an interesting life but was eventually sold to Ian of Herritage Aviation and used as a master for his resin kit. I have one of these so might do it as part of the GB if I progress well enough.

Here is the 510 in the Chobam Hall at Yeovilton in 2012

IPMS%20UK%202009%20013_zpsmtkr2zqm.jpg

My plan is to use a standard Attacker for the main parts but I have found a vacform tail off a Contrial Tu95 in the spares bin which I will use for the wing. Wing sweep etc is about right so its a shame not to use it.

I have made a start cutting out the wings and a printed the decals in advance when I made the serials for my last model.

IMG_6636

Here goes

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Photobucket pictures replaced
  • Like 6

Welcome to the Group Build Colin. No need to worry about being late, anyone can start any time, the more the merrier :)!

One nice aspect of this GB is that I'm finding it very educational, in historical as well as modelling terms.

i just did a Google on the 510 and discovered this on Wikipedia:

"During 1948, the Type 510 had conducted its maiden flight, a year after the first navalised prototype Attacker had flown. This flight made it the first British aircraft to fly with both swept wings and a swept tailplane. The Type 510 also held the distinction of being the first swept-wing aircraft to take off from and land upon an aircraft carrier during trials held for the Fleet Air Arm."

An important aircraft. It's good to see that it has been preserved. I found the details above under the entry for the Supermsrine Swift. I had no idea that the Swift had so many teething problems.

Both very attractive aitcraft IMHO.

Looking forward to this.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Yes the 510 is quite an attractive aircraft and certainly significant in the development of aerodynamics and carrier aviation. 

Colin 

I made a start on the surgury today. Here the fuselage and lower wings. I added the nose to the main fuselage first so I could get on with the cockpit in parallel.

For the fuselage the tail has been removed from both halves ready for the swept tail to be fitted later when the wings are on.

On the kit lower wings I have cut out the wheel bays as these appear to be the same on the 510 as the Attacker. The under carriage legs are almost on the leading edge of the new wing.

I have built the seat and support structure and added the controil column to the tub ready for painting.

IMG_6637

Here are the vacform wings, Cut out and trimmed to span. the reinforcing plates are necessary because the plastic is too thin to use otherwise.

IMG_6639

Next step is grafting the wheel wells into the vacform wings.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
  • Like 3

Hi

Quite a bit of progress since last week on this

I used the undercarriage bays to align the structure of the new wing. The legs are very close to the leading edge but the bay is basically the same as the attacker.  I cut out a section of the new lower wing and fitted the bays cut from the kit lower wing. I then added a liner under the new bay to hide the structural work.

IMG_6647

I built the cockpit as intended for the Attacker bur added the 3 'Port Holes', 2 stbd and 1 port. Not sure if this is a Navy requirement but at least you can see into the cockpit at Yeovilton. The CA cockpit is pretty good but seat is devoid of cushions which seems a bit odd. Anyway I used the kit seat and added some simple seat belts. I might improve this a bit once I've done the wings.

IMG_6641

Once this was in I joined the fuselages and added a brass wing spar long enough to support  the new wings. Liners can be seen here.

IMG_6648

The wings were tacked on with superglue to check alignment and sweep etc was correct. A few mods to do on the port side but stbd came pretty close at first try. I'll secure the wings now with 5 min epoxy and work out how to do the tail.

IMG_6652

A bit of filler required there but they dont call me Mr Milliput for nothing.

I have removed the root fairings for the tail planes as the 510 had an all moving tail seemingly recessed into the fuselage. Not sure how to do this yet but without the tail cone I can work inside even with the fuselage assembled.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
  • Like 2

Well I snapped the stbd wing off and secured with 5 min epoxy and then trimmed the port wing to match in 3d before securing it with epoxy also. After leaving overnight to dry there were a few holes to fill so out came the Milliput. Here she is after the first heavy application.

IMG_6756

After a rough sand with some 70 grit I applied some Squadron putty and carried on with some sanding pads to get is down close to smooth.

IMG_6758

I have also made the tail planes and fin from 3 laminates of plastic card as nothing suitable was in the parts bin.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had better get an update on as I have dropped onto the second page of this GB.

Had a few days on holiday so shaped the tail surfaces made above from 5 laminates of card. I used Black for the inner layer as it makes getting the same thickiness of the trailing edges easier. According to the pictures I took, the tail planes sit into recesses in the fuselage so are quite different from the kit of the Attacker. This was further complicated by the joint between the resin tail and plastic fuselage being right in the middle. The insides of the plastic were eventually lined with card and a Brass tube for the tail pipe lining the resin bit. The tails are attached to the card with a 1mm brass pin. The fin has 2 brass pins.

IMG_6767

Tail feathers fitted, filled and another layer of Mr Surfacer 500 on the other joints.

Starting to look quite smart now!

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 4

Looking good Colin. I remember seeing this at Yeovilton when I must have been 8 or 9 - it struck me as a strange looking thing, with its big swept wing and its tailwheel. Come to think of it, this might be the only jet powered aircraft with a tailwheel that I've seen.

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Looking good Colin. I remember seeing this at Yeovilton when I must have been 8 or 9 - it struck me as a strange looking thing, with its big swept wing and its tailwheel. Come to think of it, this might be the only jet powered aircraft with a tailwheel that I've seen.

only two operational jets has tailwheels, the Attacker (which the 510 is based on) and the Yak-15, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-15

which was based on the Yak-3 airframe!   one interesting quirk is the tailwheel is steel to deal with the jetblast.

That said, the Attacker used the wing designed for the Spiteful/Seafang.

The first Me262 jet protoype also used a tailwheel.

Neat work on the 510 as well.

cheers

T

Yes the 510 is a step in a line of development. Basically the story goes ....

The Spitfire 14 fuselage was given a new laminar wing to become the Spiteful.

The Spitefull wing was given a jet fuselage to become the Attacker.

The Attacker fuselage was given a new swept wing to become the 510.

The 510 was given a new forward fueselage with tricycle undercarriage but retained the tail plane and fin including the tail wheels to become the 535.

The 535 was tweaked a bit to become the Swift.

Along the way the Attacker fuselage was given a crescent wing to become the Supermarine 521 or HP88 or YE2 depending on your choice.

There are a few other bits but anyone interested can look it all up on Google rather than me list it here.

I have built two Swifts F2 and FR5 (Falcon Vacforms) the Attacker (Magna Resin) and this is the 510. The Spitefull is now easy as both Herritage and Trumpeter kits are in my stash but I originally planned to use spare Attacker wings on a Falcon mk 19 Fuselage. All my built kits are on Britmodeller if you care to look. I did build the 521 in a similar maner to this build but using a balsa laminated wing. This was sold  to Ian from Herritage to use as a master for his HP88 kit. It is actually on ARC with my Attacker if you care to look. 

The 535 with 510 fuselage, tail and a definite 'Swift' appearance. Note the Attacker tail wheel is still there.

5106L.jpg

My Resin Attacker and CA Attacker converted to 521.

07.jpg

It  will be good to have the set in 1/48.

Guess the next project?

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Mk14 Spit not Mk19 as originally posted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

The Spitefull is now easy as both Herritage and Trumpeter kits are in my stash but I originally planned to use spare Attacker wings on a Falcon mk 19 Fuselage.

I'm a little puzzled Colin, as Falcon Models have had a vacform Spiteful/Seafang kit for many years,  which AFAIK is still the best shapewise, and AFAIK Falcon never did a Spit XIX fuselage, they did a very basic XIV a long time ago though.

The initial Spiteful prototype used a XIV fuselage with the new wing, but AFAIK the production Spiteful had a new fuselage.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998490-148-nn660-first-spiteful-prototype-and-rb516-production-spiteful/

NN660, the short-lived first prototype for the Spiteful

supermarine_spiteful.jpg

Colin S-K, who used to post here, did the master for the Heritage Spiteful, and he used the Falcon kit as the basis for that.

Silver Cloud did a limited run Spiteful and Seafang as well, but these are reputed to be hard work, I have the Spiteful and it certainly requires plenty of fettling to get anything resembling a 'fit'

the Trumpeter kit is noted for it's inaccuracies...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1388789579/So,+what+all+is+wrong+with+the+Trumpter+1-48+Seafang-

this is a useful comparison with between the Trumpy and falcon vac Spiteful.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/trumpeter02850reviewbf_1.htm

I'll see if I can find the other builds you mention,  I'll post in links if I do, as it's always handy to have cross reference of interesting threads like these

cheers

T

PS 

521 build on ARC

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7101-7200/gal7197-Supermarine521-Whitehouse/00.shtm

Edited by Troy Smith
links
  • Like 2

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the links above. Very interesting. Clearly I meant the Mk14 when I said 19, Ho Hum. My little summary above was just that and yes there were many variations along the way. You have to draw the line somewhere though.

I never got a Falcon Mk14 so maybe the Heritage Fuselage with some Trumpy bits might be the way to go when I get to the Spiteful. There I was, looking forward to an easy OOB job.

One of my first Vacforms was the Falcon Seahawk which was very hard to build but the only 48 Seahawk for many years. I built the Silver Cloud MB5 which was a beautiful kit but have never seen their Seafand/Spiteful.

Colin

Well the filling sanding spraying and cutting back has continued.

Getting there

IMG_6764_zpskc5bumpx.jpg

Below the white the grey of the original kit parts is visible.

IMG_6766_zpsq0xdbtoo.jpg

And now I have a good looking white jet

IMG_6768_zpsajktzkcx.jpg

Almost ready for the final paint. There are a few models of this on the net based on the maintrack 1/72 kit . Many of them are too shiny and almost look chromed. I reckon the silver grey is the way to go as the carrier planes would not have been left unpainted.

Colin

• Like 4

Well after a few fine sanding sessions I put on the final top coat.

IMG_6778_zpss9ilgbwy.jpg

IMG_6781_zps0liddygh.jpg

I followed the general shading used on the other 2 builds above. Colour is Mr Colour 8 3:1 with Med sea Grey. A touch of EDSG was added to enhance the pane lines and break up the monotone.

Aluminium was used for the wheel wells.

IMG_6779_zpsxvrqfbq6.jpg

Thats all from me for a few weeks as Im off travelling with work until mid May. By then the paint will be ready for a coat of Future and some decals.

Wheels and other bits are done and ready to fit.

Colin

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Well Im back from my travels to Europe and itching to get back on to the 2 Supermarines.

The first thing I learned was while looking through Barry Jones book on 'Experimental Turbotet Aircraft' is that the 510 in FAA Museum is no longer a 510. As the 510 it has a fixed tail with Elevators and when later fitted with the all flying tail is was renumbered to the 517. I had decided to do the 510 and was not very happy with the fit of the tail anyway so decided to fill the holes and revert to the 510. I wish I had noticed before I got to the final paint stage but there you are.

Here's how far I got before filling the joins and fixing the tail.

I'll jut fill these and then respray the tail. The Fuselage warkings are a bit of an odd size so I painted the yellow disc to make the ring to suround the roundal.

Meanwhile looking at pictures the tail wheel leg is at the front of the bay but Classic Airframe have it in the middle. I'll remodel this bit as I expect the HP88 will have the same issue.

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture restoration
  • Like 3

Well having converted the Attacker into a Supermarine 517, here it is converted back to a 510.

The tail is remodeled and the paint redone. The tail wheel has been removed and fitted the right way round although not obvious on the above pictures.

I'm not sure about the  nationality of the large yellow roundels? Where do you think?

Looks much better now and its a 510.

I'll leave it a few days for the paint to settle and then its varnish, decals and home. #

Colin

Edited by Colin W

Well the paint was sealed with future, decals applied and then resealed with another coat of future and a coat of Micro Satin.

Serials were home printed, roundals from Xtradaec and the P from Fantasy Print shop as it is very hard to print the yellow.

Arrester hook and pitot added along with main gear doors. I elected to leave off the tail gear doors as they were rarely fitted.

No pictures have an anti dazzle panel on the nose so it must have been hard landing into the sun!

Finished model now posted in Gallery.

Thanks for the comments during the build

Colin

Well the models completed so here are a few pictures for the album

IMG_6809IMG_6811

IMG_6812

IMG_6813

IMG_6814

IMG_6817

Cheers

Colin

Edited by Colin W