Mustang III, FB290 GA B, 112 squadron

Cummulus

My Mustang III kit is waiting for a paintjob, and I still haven't choose the markings. I would like to do a machine which operated in my home skies. I am leaning to do a 112 squadron machine. FB290 GA B cought my eye. It even met it's fate over Slovenia, but in No. 3 squadron RAAF markings.

GAB_FB290_zps7gldpmax.jpg

I noticed a patch of different color between letters G and A, with a X within. 

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm reminded of the mark put on Mustangs as a result of the Long Range Programme, when the fuel tank aft of the pilot was fitted and some reminder was needed of the different handling characteristics (eg use the aft tank fuel first, because of reduced stability when it is full).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I'm reminded of the mark put on Mustangs as a result of the Long Range Programme, when the fuel tank aft of the pilot was fitted and some reminder was needed of the different handling characteristics (eg use the aft tank fuel first, because of reduced stability when it is full).

IIRC Graham, the mark that was used to identify the B-C model Mustangs that had the 85-gallon fuselage tank was a black cross on nm airplanes and a white cross on OD-finished aircraft .It was painted below the data block on the LH side of the nose below the w/s. So don't think an 'x' would be used and probably not on the RH side, as the filler for the fuselage tank was on the LH side. Don't recall if the cross was re-painted on those Mustangs that the RAF painted in the daytime camouflage scheme, especially as the fuselage tank was most likely not needed for the majority of the missions that the RAF was using their Mustangs for, and not using the tank avoided the instability problems associated with a full fuselage tank . I'm guessing carrying the external tanks under the wings provided  plenty of fuel.

Mike

• Like 1

Making a rare post!!

FB290 did not have the fuselage tank.

I thought I had several books containing this image but now I can find only one. At one time the image was on the "Jeff Ethell WW2 Colour" site which is now defunct and, from what I can see, you need to take care connecting to the old address. The book I have is "P-51 Mustang" by Jeff Ethell published by Arms and Armour Press. The photo of GAB in there does not have these light coloured patches between the G and the A and that was in 1990 which I guess was before people were photoshopping images for publication. I think what you are seeing is likely to be some kind of artefact in the copy you have.

My curiosity got the best of me, so I did some sleuthing. On the 112 Squadron website, I found the following information regarding FB290: it was a P-51C-1NT,  fitted with the early canopy, coded GA-B. AAF serial was 42-103184 and was transferred to the RAF as a Mustang III. It also served with number 3 and 260 squadrons and was abandoned by its pilot over Maribor  on April 3, 1945 due to flak damage.

On the Mustangs Mustangs website, under Mustang variants, the P-51C-1NT was listed as the first Dallas  production block to have the 85 gallon fuselage tank fitted, so if this is correct, FB290 would have likely  had the fuselage tank, but that is assuming the reference I quoted is correct, but the fuselage tank could have either been removed at an MU, or if installed, was not utilized. Since the filler cap for the tank was on the LH side aft of the cockpit, your photo doesn't help us in that regard.

That's all I could find- I have listed links to both of the websites for all to see. The 112 Squadron site is a treasure trove of modeling references, and the Mustangs Mustangs site is also very useful for Mustang modelers and aficionados alike!

Mike

http://raf-112-squadron.org/index3.html

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/

3 hours ago, SteveBrooking said:

Making a rare post!!

FB290 did not have the fuselage tank.

I thought I had several books containing this image but now I can find only one. At one time the image was on the "Jeff Ethell WW2 Colour" site which is now defunct and, from what I can see, you need to take care connecting to the old address. The book I have is "P-51 Mustang" by Jeff Ethell published by Arms and Armour Press. The photo of GAB in there does not have these light coloured patches between the G and the A and that was in 1990 which I guess was before people were photoshopping images for publication. I think what you are seeing is likely to be some kind of artefact in the copy you have.

You are most probably right.

And thank you all for your ideas.