Zvezda Star Destroyer Finished

After 3 months she is finally done. It uses 31 LEDs, 170 feet of .5mm fiber optic lighting over 500 windows (I lost count at 500). This was an absolute blast to build. High praise and kudos to Zvezda for releasing a kit that no other plastic kit maker would touch at this size. I look forward to my next (super modified) build this summer.

b5fmsg.jpg
34flil3.jpg
ztdy1h.jpg
16gejgz.jpg
n3p4xs.jpg
124x5px.jpg
m9nnft.jpg
hx7pzt.jpg

• Like 22

Finished off the 3D printed Tantive IV this morning. I added laser canons from stretched sprue and replaced the antenna that had broken off with a new one. The antenna was made with stretched sprue and the thinnest piece of paper (from a pack of chopsticks) I could find. The ship was mounted to a metal wire and added to the SD's base. I'll get more pics of the final set up tonight. The 3D print is just a wee bit smaller than my Anigrand, but not by much. It's hard to get good pics of something so tiny!

2z4keph.jpg
2wcfu6t.jpg
nfiq79.jpg
mx1zpi.jpg
2r420p4.jpg

And what a friend on FB said I must have looked liked.
2wqc380.jpg

• Like 19

😍 looks amazing. Well worth the effort you put into it. A real show stopper, or starter if it's a new hope😉. I was dubious about this kit when I saw mad monk's at Peterborough last month but I think I will be adding it to my grey army now, Il need a project for the cold wintery night's of July n August n I think this may just be it. Hope I get to see it at a show sometime soon if its safe to travel.

I think you've done a really great job of this and I am really looking forward to starting mine one of these days, (and I know there is always a BUT) but in the interests of giving constructive and honest feedback (and not just an empty "good job") I would strongly recommend that on your next one, if you do decide to light it, I would suggest using warm white LED's as opposed to white. White is just too white and (personally) think they are better used on engine or external lighting - not internal. 

• Like 2

Madhatter, are you telling me how to build and light models???? I've been doing this for 40 years and I will tell yo.............Yeah, your right, warm whites would have been better. LOL!!!!!!^_^

And yes, I will definitely be using warms on the 2nd build!:P

Thanks for the comments guys! I HIGHLY recommend this kit to any SW fan. Even if just built right out of the box with a basic paint job, we have never had a kit like this before!

With that, I decided I was not happy with the R1 paint scheme (mostly white) and decided my original grey wash just didn't enhance the details enough. I got my oils out last night and mixed up a nice dark grey, but not black oil wash. I applied that with a 2 inch brush over the entire model. I let that sit for about 30 minutes. I then took a clean rag dipped in Turpenoid, and wiped down the surface. Wow! What a difference. The nooks and crannies now pop with detail, it's still white but with a much warmer grey tone instead of the creamier white tone. So much happier now. I'll do another set of pics tonight as I also have the Tantive mounted as well. In the mean time, here is a teaser picture.

xnhf6v.jpg

• Like 6

wowee - fabofantastico - a great piece of modelling. I simply cant justify the Zveda price ticket for their ISD as its nearly a quarter of what I paid Randy Cooper for one of his beasts and only half what I paid for an Anigrand ISD kit of the same.

All the same, your Rusky version is superb - and the RBR 3D print is brilliant.

May the force be with you, always