Mosquito NF Mk.II - Tamiya 1/72 * Now with added PR IV *

CedB

Thanks chaps - a bit subdued today after last night's festivities but I'll be back in the morning to get the close up done. :) 

On 06/04/2017 at 17:41, Biggles87 said:

It occurs to me that sitting with your feet that far off the ground could be quite tiring after a couple of hours.

Better than the NF Nav waving his legs in the air! Thanks for the waving inspiration John!

Don't worry about any rambling or off-subject posts chaps; all part of the fun :) 

• Like 2

Closed up this morning and getting ready for applying the Eduard masks.

The nose part is a bit of a nightmare - it's connected to the sprue in exactly the same place as the locating lugs and when I sawed them off ended up with two lugs. When I grabbed the iPhone and macro lens I realised the magnetic ring that the lens clips onto had gone and none of the remaining spares fit:

33777874371_17166a76f6_z.jpg

DSCN0124 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Rats. Out with the Coolpix to get a couple of shots:

33777874291_2a73001011_n.jpg 33777874171_c638e18ed1_n.jpg

The shadow is the camera lens. Oops. Can you see the lugs? Probably not. After all that I'm ready to mask:

33522402830_fff564ee3f_z.jpg

hoping that the crease in the mask doesn't effect its effectiveness:

33094433013_e8416565ee_z.jpg

I'll tackle it later, after coffee!

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

We're off on a 'Wine Arts Trail' this morning so it's probably best if I don't do any modelling on our return!

*Posh pub crawl - worse than Aintree I've heard. The AA are advising motorists to avoid the Bath area until early evening, after last year's mass wine-spitting in the Botanical Gardens. 

Stay safe Ced. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Looks superb in primer Ced. I hope the wine trail was fun and your legs still worked when you got home.

I went on one in the Hunter Valley once, a German chap gave me a very interesting  tip; 'stop spitting it out' :drunk:!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

She's looking quite sweet in her primer coat, Ced :clap::clap:

And I agree with Cookie's comment, this kit looks like a piece of cake for you :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Tony - a great time was had by all! (See below!)

Thanks Cookie and Giorgio - the Tamiya kit is really nice, has some great interior detail and goes together really well apart from the bomb bay which on both mine has suffered from a slightly, very slightly, misaligned front end. Nice rest from the usual bashing. Let's hope the transfers go on better than the NF.

Thanks Tony - fun was had and the legs were, er, wobbly.

The Tenth Wine Arts Trail (which had a slightly rude abbreviation all over the place) was great fun. We were asked to wear silly hats so I wore my Brazilian Bush Hat:

33134345523_c0e4d3b017_z.jpg

It's like an Australian Bush Hat but it's been pruned. :coat: 

Peter Hendy brought and drove his Routemaster, a great piece of nostalgia for all, but she didn't manage the steep ramp from the car park without some help:

33906582326_006d5df769_z.jpg

I suspect the reduced weight from the boys getting off was as much a factor as the pushing!

Then off on a three hour tour around various locations, each providing wine and characters from the Natural Theatre chaps like this lot:

33562140010_b618af47b9_z.jpg

Great people, good wine (I didn't spit it out!) and great fun. I haven't consumed so much in the morning since... uh... I can't remember!

• Like 15

A great looking day out Ced. Wine on a Sunday morning - ain't that just communion? :thumbsup:

The massed rear-ends of the Bath posse pushing a Routemaster is an image that lingers...:D

Splendid.

Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

The Tenth Wine Arts Trail (which had a slightly rude abbreviation all over the place)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Got this even if I'm not Brit - one of the first words I learned working with some British guys back then .... :D 

26 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A great looking day out Ced. Wine on a Sunday morning - ain't that just communion? :thumbsup:

Agreed 100%!

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Tony - Communion? Not for heathens like me, although taking some bread with the wine would have been a very good idea!

Thanks Giorgio - it's not a word normally used in polite company, let alone being plastered over boards! I suppose the full stops might have saved the day.

The PR got a coat of Vallejo PRU Blue this morning thinned 50/50 with Cookie's thinner and sprayed at 10psi with a 0.2 nozzle:

33106498924_6de003e03b_z.jpg

I think I'm getting the hang of this method and I do like the variation of coverage it gives. The thinner also has Future/Klear in it so I'm hoping that'll help with the transfers, but I'll do a Klear coat later.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The massed rear-ends of the Bath posse pushing a Routemaster is an image that lingers...:D

Yes, unfortunately what's been seen can't be unseen....!!

But I'm certainly glad to have seen that lovely blue Mossie..!! Lovely paintjob Ced, now don't forget, before the decals make it shinnnnnyyyy...!! 

Keith

• Like 1

First off , I thought I was looking at a pic of Indiana Ced, with fossilized droppings around the brim.

And yes, It reminded me of the old joke of T.W.A. coffee.....

The Mossie looks great in her PRU Blue mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio :)

Thanks Simon - droppings was guessed by a few of the other revellers... I suppose prunes aren't that popular nowadays; it was certainly hard to find them in the shops!

Thanks Keith - she's had two coats of un-thinned Klear today:

33142714773_3a19eb83c7_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Special attention paid to the areas where the transfers will go. Hopefully I'll have some decalling mojo tomorrow!

• Like 11

Thanks Leon - I'm just about over the trip; drink responsibly!

Transfers applied this morning. Before the men in the white coats come to take me away I will now concur with PC's comment that Tamiya decals, at least in the Mossie kits, are not up to the standard we expect from Tamiya. So there. I'm quite prepared to believe it's me. I've just checked the gallery and other people's look fine. BUT I've had all the problems this morning: one of the tail flashes folded on itself whilst in the 'bath' with two others that were fine, stencils running around the back of the paper, silvering, water running down the fuselage and washing one of the trestle lines out of place, silvering, stencils sticking to the tweezers, silvering etc etc.

I do appreciate (not) the little text on the instructions that you can't read against the stencils that you can't read that helps you get them the right way up:

33929903336_028e97521d_z.jpg

and the fact that they seemed to silver immediately:

33813133722_2a84f39eee_z.jpg

After all the advice I'd been given here I wanted to try my best, and here it is... Two coats of Klear/Future before I started. Pool of Klear where the transfers going to go and then plop it on, carefully:

33840600881_3407d38989_n.jpg 33812777382_239e700f61_n.jpg

Hmmm. Roll it down, cut the transfer over the two bumps, another coat of Klear on the top:

33157629303_a3c6d3d58c_n.jpg 33585766740_33f24a45b9_n.jpg

Promising. Then things started drying:

33127139034_6836b848fd_n.jpg 33813299272_02ef129b3a_n.jpg

Wuhuhuhu blubber blubber... Rush downstairs, boil a kettle and press them down, still a bit wobbly so blast them with MicroSol:

33930334706_8eec99936b_z.jpg

We shall see. I've left it at this:

33930330806_0887f61f34_z.jpg

I wonder if it's the local water, or my Klear? I washed the brush I was using in the warm bath and this happened:

33971495375_53b390ebfe_z.jpg

Weird. We'll see what the transfers look like later when I've calmed down but it WILL get a 'Johnny wash'.

• Like 5