1/48 Saab SF/SH 37 Viggen recce version by Tarangus - release May 2017

Bjorn

Tarangus will release their long-expected recce version of their 1/48 Viggen in May or June this year. It will include a new nose for the SF 37 and parts for the AJ 37-similar SH 37. Positive news of course, however I think it also means that Special Hobby's SK 37 two-seater will be postponed. 

Source: Rebell Hobby (run by the same company as Tarangus).

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

Looking forward to the photoViggens!

Time to finally build my JA .. :(

Do you think we will see plastic recce pods, or are we going to buy some extremlx expensive Maestro Models ones? 

I know -again run by the same people .....

• Like 2

Since there are no underwing stores in the JA or Special Hobby AJ releases, i doubt that there are any in this release. However, I guess that the SH camera pod with the SKa 24D long distance camera will be included. Because without it, the model will be an AJ 37, there are no other external differences. 

• Like 1

I also doubt that we will see a canard update.... 

Camera pod would be good, but somehow I doubt it....

Recce nose and lonesome wolf decal is what I expect over the Special  Hobby release.....

PE  ??

• Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 22:25, exdraken said:

I also doubt that we will see a canard update.... 

(...)

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/03/aj-37ja-37-viggen-chystame-korekcni.html

A resin canard correction set for AJ-37/JA-37 (kits ref. SH48148 & SH48188) is in progress by Special Hobby/CMK.

The 3D print test set

IMG_5334.JPG  IMG_5335.JPG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

A canard correction set is also avaliable from Maestro Models. However, it is extremely hard to find.

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/03/aj-37ja-37-viggen-chystame-korekcni.html

A resin canard correction set for AJ-37/JA-37 (kits ref. SH48148 & SH48188) is in progress by Special Hobby/CMK.

The 3D print test set

IMG_5334.JPG  IMG_5335.JPG

V.P.

I do not really like it when the kit manufactures also try to cash in on their own correction sets... :(

they should have done their homework in the first place or correct it later at least!

that is true in this case for Special Hobby/ Cmk  and Tarangus/ Maestro Models....

• Like 6

My impression is that the kit was designed pretty much entirely by Tarangus/Maestro, and Special Hobby just joined as a partner for tooling/distribution.  So I'd put these in a *slightly* different category to the Maestro corrections.

Plus, given the fact that the CMK set should cost 1/2 - 1/3 the price of Maestro's stuff, I'm feeling much more forgiving. ;)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ICMF said:

My impression is that the kit was designed pretty much entirely by Tarangus/Maestro, and Special Hobby just joined as a partner for tooling/distribution.  So I'd put these in a *slightly* different category to the Maestro corrections.

Plus, given the fact that the CMK set should cost 1/2 - 1/3 the price of Maestro's stuff, I'm feeling much more forgiving. ;)

From what I have heard from Tarangus, they did the overall design of the kit, but Special Hobby did the final design. The canards and the poor nose wheel is a result of the SH final design. 

The CMK set will surely be cheaper, but one should bear in mind that Maestro/Tarangus is a company consisting of two-three people doing this in their spare time. Their kits and resin sets are made in small series on Swedish subjects, which has a relatively small market. That explains the relatively high price. 

• Like 1

Yeah, of course nobody is to blame.... only the other party.... :(

Whatevery the reason - not a really satisfying solution on an everything but cheap kit...

Just to make sure that everybody understands I really support and appreciate that these kits exists: I have bought 2 of these kits and some resin incl one set of canards already.....

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah, of course nobody is to blame.... only the other party.... :(

Whatevery the reason - not a really satisfying solution on an everything but cheap kit...

Nope. And I know that the Tarangus people are really frustrated about this. However, correcting the canards is not that difficult. IMO the bad nosewheel is a bigger problem. Even the old Esci is better here. Plus a number of small annoying errors at the exhaust. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Source: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=24992

fdb176e2-0b67-4d67-9f45-e68854ebc409_4361_viggen_kridla1_render.jpg

129 - 4361 - AJ-37/ SF-37 / SH37 Viggen Canard Correction Set for Special Hobby/Tarangus kits
All new canard foreplanes with separate flaps and one vortex generator. No adjustment of the original kit is required. These new parts correct the most important issue of the model which is the foreplane flaps shape and also enable the modeller to drop the flaps at 30°, a characteristic feature for a Viggen with the undercarriage down. Intended for the first generation Viggens, versions AJ-37/ SF-37/ SH-37.

Price: 12.70 Euros

V.P.
  • Like 2

Well, me certainly feels like buyin' 'em CMK correction bits for the Viggen, even tho me hasn't got the Tarangus kit yet. They look very noooiiiceee...!!! (Yeh, they do).

€12.70 :undecided: Me wonders whut the overall cost will be with P&P to Buenos Aires!

Yeh, me does.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/04/newsletter-may-2017.html

129 - 4361

All new canard foreplanes with separate flaps and one vortex generator. No adjustment of the original kit is required. These new parts correct the most important issue of the model which is the foreplane flaps shape and also enable the modeller to drop the flaps at 30°, a characteristic feature for a Viggen with the undercarriage down. Intended for the first generation Viggens, versions AJ-37/ SF-37/ SH-37.
Sweden/ recent past

a248bf3d-a9c6-4595-95fd-d7b7318ad306.png

129 - 4362

All new canard foreplanes with separate flaps and a set of two vortex generators. No adjustment of the original kit is required. These new parts correct the most important issue of the model which is the foreplane flaps shape and also enable the modeller to drop the flaps at 30°, a characteristic feature for a Viggen with the undercarriage down. Intended for the second generation Viggens, the lenghtened JA-37 version.

Sweden / recent past

e8a46bb2-9474-414e-a8c5-62f53ff9539d.png

V.P.

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

But does it contain recce pods and pylons for the SH?

Not sure about that, but most likely not.

The rumor has it though that the missing central pylon extension to the ventral fin in the AJ kit will be included in this release.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flarpen said:

Not sure about that, but most likely not.

The rumor has it though that the missing central pylon extension to the ventral fin in the AJ kit will be included in this release.

Every kind of correction is helpful and welcome!!

From Rebell Hobby Newsletter

rebell_SHSFparts--1_zps9yiev1ad.jpg

At the end of the month, the SH / SF37 recce version of Tarangus 1/48 scale Viggen is coming into stock. In addition to a new nose, the model also contains a couple of resin parts. The rail that Special Hobby forgot to include in their AJ37 - to be placed between the center pylon and the dorsal fin. It is also on the recce versions, that was based on the AJ37. In addition, as added bonus, the central air intake with much nicer cast details than you can perform in plastic.

Edited by flarpen
  • Like 2

I don't know.

They didn't go the whole way again...haven't seen one photo of the SH flying in the clean config. It was always carrying recce and jamming pods. That shouldn't have been to much of a problem to add them to the kit.

Especially considering the amount of aftermarket items one have to add to fix the bugs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

I don't know.

They didn't go the whole way again...haven't seen one photo of the SH flying in the clean config. It was always carrying recce and jamming pods. That shouldn't have been to much of a problem to add them to the kit.

Especially considering the amount of aftermarket items one have to add to fix the bugs. 

Based on previous experience, I'd expect that the pods, etc., will be available as extras from Maestro.....for a price, of course!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

Based on previous experience, I'd expect that the pods, etc., will be available as extras from Maestro.....for a price, of course!

All the necessary pods are already available from Meastro Models.

I am in for one....

but I really hope that Maestro Model resin parts will get easier available in Europe/elsewhere... maybe wider availablility would also lower he price though volumen"

I really want to love that kit.  I'd *like* to build half a dozen of them.  But so much about it is infuriatingly 'so close, yet so far', and the actual price to get a model I'd be happy with is so insane, I just can't. 

I'm actually considering selling the kits I've got, and just waiting for someone else to do a Viggen.  :(