Meng Tiger II

One can never have enough Tiger II's so here's another one.

This kit has some good points, especially the rolled steel treatment on the armor but also some not so good features.

The tracks are not that great and probably will be replaced with individual link tracks.  The link and length tracks are ok but they are too short to sag properly.

Xle2hxA.jpgr6fQcFR.jpgcEihBwq.jpgo35IUnc.jpgxeS69Wv.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along.  Needs another coat of Nato Black but of course I'm out until I can pick some up.  That red plastic is tough to cover as usually one primer/shadow coat does it.

It still needs the side skirts and fenders and the tracks are waiting.

I'm going to try the ambush scheme on this one as I've never tried the yellow, green and brown with the yellow and green dots.  The good thing about Tamiya paints is if you don't like the

results a shot of Windex takes the paint right off.

zeJnWw2.jpgsnvgepN.jpgKwN9v5L.jpgj9YyIPd.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Looking good so far. 

With regard to the ambush scheme, I also finished my recent Tiger II build that way. I was hesitant to try it initially but I bit the bullet and painted it as such. IMHO, it came out looking not to shabby.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I hope it turns out as it's something new for me.  I'm not sure I really like the ambush scheme but it's something different as I already have 2 Tiger II's in the 3 color scheme.

Got to pick up some more paint before the weekend then have at it I guess, I'd better get another bottle of Windex too.

I want to use a fine tip brush to apply the random dots and hope that works as they don't seem to be all one size and with my shaky hand they sure won't be.

Take care,

Lloyd

It's all yellow right now and should have the green and brown tomorrow.  Then I guess it's an attempt at the ambush scheme.

Tracks are black with Tamiya Linoleum and some graphite on the tread faces to represent wear.  Then more graphite on the wheel rims, paint the tools and cables and the spare track links

and a light weathering and call it done.vp7SPuG.jpg30Nfbp5.jpgg8q0c7G.jpgIfTTI8E.jpg

trwofXx.jpg

• Like 4

Now for something different, I'm tired of the 3 color camo on Tiger II's so here goes.

This is an experimental splinter pattern camo taking the ambush scheme one or two steps further. I don't know if it's practical but it sure is disruptive.

If they tried this they probably only painted one tank and probably not for long.  It's pretty clean as they just finished the paint work and Rudolph is taking a break after painting all of those dots with a brush.

Comments please

Ceq95IR.jpgqLeyjcs.jpgFSklaRx.jpgEsrwGTq.jpg4pS27F7.jpgDzu3xwh.jpgRBDvgxr.jpg4p30DxU.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Crush

I still think it sorta looks like a bad case of the Measles, German Measles that is.  It's not something I'm going to attempt again as I thought I would get tennis elbow painting all of those dots and I don't think there are two the same.

I see I missed some on the rear plate, but the painter got tired and gave up I guess.

Not sure if it's going to get a dusting as I can't go back if I do that and I sort of like the metallic look in places even though it does seem a little too semi-glossy. 

I wanted something different and this is that.

Take care,

Lloyd

Wow! I hope the dots haven't upset your eyesight too much. Last time I saw that many dots, I'd spent too long in a bar in Germany......but that's another story!

I know sweet FA about German cammo's, but it does look good, if, as you say, a little on the dark side.

Regards,

John. 

Thanks Etienne

The camo is pretty disruptive but I'm thinking it's too dark so I'll probably end up giving it a light dusting with fingers crossed.

Yes after the first 500 or so dots it was all downhill, I should have counted how many just for curiosity.

Your AMX-30 is coming along nicely, wine-soaked mud and all.

Take care,

Lloyd