Pocher F40 with Autograph transkit upgrade challenge build

Wayne,

Quick question, I have been using a slide ruler in MM, not very accurate.

Is the device used for measuring a micrometer? Is that what I need for getting accurate measurements before cutting?

Thanks.

I don’t know how you can use a slide rule to do what needs to be done. Go to Amazon and search for digital calipers or micrometer. They are about $20-$40 and it will give you measurements in mm, fractions or decimals. This makes it easy to get a measurement on something and then push a button to switch between millimeters, fractions or the decimal equivalent. 
Also, after my last post, I had a thought regarding you trying to decide what to do. Here’s my thought, even if you decide to just build it OOB, consider this. The single most difficult thing to do on a Pocher classic is to assemble the wire wheels. If you can put six wire wheels together then, you can probably do any extra detail and finish the build. 
eBay is littered with Pocher kits where guys gave up on the wire wheels. 
On my Mercedes thread I actually built two complete engines and frames. The second one includes assembly of the wire wheels. I made a little jig to assemble them and there’s probably other threads where others did the same thing. Even though some of the assembly between the Mercedes and Rolls are similar, Codger’s newly reconstructed build thread is the Bible for your Rolls. I can only offer general advice for how I would probably do things. 

Wayne,

I searched EBay and found a 6” digital caliber/micrometer with a case for $11.00.

I believe it will do the job I need.

I also purchased the final pieces of a secondary body parts inside and out from Scottharv., this way depending on my frame of mind it opens me up to do modifications if I feel I can accomplish such things. If not, I can always sell them on EBay.

Are you an artist? Your work looks like you are one or that of an engineer.  I am slowly working my way through your two builds, and of course, the master, Codger,

I easily spend several hours a day reviewing both your sites, and, taking copious notes.

Brava!

That’s good that you were able to get the calipers at a good price. I usually keep a couple spare batteries on hand. Also, not a bad idea to have the extra parts for the body etc.

No, I’m not an artist but, you are pretty close with your second guess. I was an auto mechanic and service manager for Toyota for 20 years. And, more recently for the last 20 years, I was the chief engineer and director of facilities for a resort hotel and the two towns/villages  and, finally I have been working here at the same lake where all the aforementioned properties surround. So, I guess that accounts for my mechanical and problem solving skills.

I just posted some pictures, on your thread, of my tools, paint and supplies for you to look at. It’s probably just my background that accounts for my over abundance of tools and where I live accounts for the more than enough supply of scratch building supplies. I live up in the mountains and it’s not every day that I can get down the hill and since the hobby shop went out of business, it wouldn’t do any good anyway. So, if I need anything I would have to order it and I decided to just keep more than what I need on hand. 
One last thing here, I am more than happy to help you and answer your questions but, I would prefer to do it on your Rolls thread and keep this thread for the Ferrari. Anyone who follows this thread who gets a notification of a new post is more than likely expecting something to see something new on it. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to work on the Ferrari as often as I would like over the last 18 months due to my job.

I would also like to take the opportunity now, to let everyone know that, as of this Thursday, I will will be officially retired again. I plan on getting back to the workbench more often and hopefully start making more progress than of late. So, more new stuff to come, stay tuned!! :snorkle: :wall:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Good to hear from you and I’m glad that you’re making progress. I’ll be interested in seeing your progress and post!

I have been doing a few things and I have made some progress. I got my mini lathe out and moved it to the garage and tried to use it to make a few parts for fun. I’m working on a new waste gate for a start. As I tried to use it, I discovered a few problems that I had to address if I was seriously going to use it to make new parts. Here’s where the problem came in. With the quarantine, shipping has been extremely slow and I have been waiting on the upgrade parts and new cutters to get here for weeks. Also, with all the things going on, my motivation has ebbed and flowed so, even though I do have pictures and progress, I don’t want to post it yet.

Codger has been after me to post something, anything, even if it’s a picture of the cat’s litter box! I probably have enough for 3 posts but, I don’t want to post it and then go dark again for a while. I’d rather post when I know that I’m going to continue on for a while. 
I do expect to post something in the fairly near future. In the meantime I’ll look forward to seeing your progress and update!

• Haha 2