Pocher F40 with Autograph transkit upgrade challenge build

OK, part 3 of the weekend posting marathon! Like I was telling Chas this morning, "it's been kinda feast or famine" posting lately. Since, this is where I left off last night, I just resized the pictures this morning and decided to post this morning. I will probably do more work throughout the day and I need some more supplies which, I will point out toward the end of the post. Having said that, here's where I left off.

We were at the point where the pipes just got painted black in preparation for the Alclad air frame aluminum.

spacer.png

After looking at the paint, I wound up sanding it down and re-shooting the black

spacer.png

I added the original rear kit pipes again, Ok but, not right

spacer.png

So, here, I painted the aluminum followed by exhaust manifold at the exit of the turbos. Then hot metal sepia and hot blue, ugh! Big mistake on the blue!

spacer.png

Not only did it look awful the paint sputtered on me coming out of the airbrush. Time for a redo!

spacer.png

Still clinging to those rear pipes! 😘

spacer.png

Since the front parts of the pipes were good, I just masked it off and went after the blue

spacer.png

Ok, now we're getting somewhere

spacer.png

spacer.png

Can't let go of those rear pipes

spacer.png

Time to put the engine in the frame and see how things look and fit

spacer.png

Ok, not feeling the rear pipes any more

spacer.png

Time for a divorce! I just couldn't the original rear pipes to make the bends and without enough material, I couldn't finish them out the back

spacer.png

Here's where the need for more materials and having to place an order comes in play. Notice the painted pipe on the left side in the bend? I somehow lost the other bend like on the right pipe and I had to use this piece.

I looked all over for the white one and can't find it. I have no idea where this piece came from and, I have the feeling I'm going to find out down the road and be upset that I cut it for this. Oh, we can always make a new one, right?

spacer.png

I wanted to put this picture here, next to where I'm at, with the pipes just for reference. Notice how much larger the pipes are coming through the rear body panel are on the real car? I can see another connection there with larger exhaust tips exiting through the body. I think that I have the pipe shape and bends fairly close; I know that, they're not perfect but, I'm happier with these than the earlier versions. I still have to get the flanges on the rear sections and add the waste gate pipe too. That's what I'll be working on today and the rest of the week.

spacer.png

I forgot to say at the beginning of this post- thank you to all of you guys for the support!

Edited by larchiefeng
  • Like 8

A wonderful save and great corrections in the process. They look outstanding and accurate to Pascal's references.

I gladly pass on my 'Patience Award' to you. :banghead: You've made many iterations of this one detail area and are hereby commended for solving until perfect.

And it is.............:worthy:

• Thanks 1

Wayne,

This is amazing, I never thought that this kind of detail is even possible.

Amazing! I have been reading through this build for over a week, learning all kinds of things and techniques, you are super talented.

Brian

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys! Chas, I appreciate your input before some of this gets here 🙄. Brian, the key to working on these Pochers is patience! As you start your Rolls keep in mind that there will be lots of challenges and sometimes you will have to take a step back and think through a problem or to just organize your thoughts and come up with a new plan. If these Pochers were easy they would be called Tamiya. Here's a link to my Mercedes build that I mentioned on your thread, it has my whole struggle, err, progress on doing the lighting on a car that lighting wasn't part of the kit. 

Wayne,

Now that I finished this extensive journal, I will start on the Mercedes.

I was trained as a classical musician, constantly requiring stepping back and have no patience.

I appreciate your advice and comments.

I understand and it probably takes more patience and concentration to do that than build a model. It’s probably going to serve you well with the Pocher though. The other thing to keep in mind when reading the Mercedes thread is that, this is the time when Chas had already started building his Rolls and I had just started the Mercedes shortly after. So, we were pretty much building these two Pochers at the same time for over a 2-3 year period. We were exchanging tips and information on a variety of things throughout the builds. Even though they were totally different cars the experience was the same and it was fun to share it!

• Like 1

I can only imagine how many hours of head-scratching it took to get those pipes done.

Those outer pipes are really hard to get right, they're shaped like a question mark.

This would be a nice alternative, but I doubt that you can find these in the correct diameter :

spacer.png

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pascal, yep that, was exactly the shape that I was trying to make but the pipe diameter and sharpness of the curve was really difficult to achieve. So, rather than keep dragging this out any longer than I already had, I decided that I had gotten about as close as I could. Just for reference, the diameter of the pipes is 1/4” or 6.35 mm. For comparison the original kit pipes are 6mm so going up to the 1/4” wasn’t a big deal. However, I think that it’s a big improvement in the looks by being slightly larger. The LM did have larger turbos and pipes and the larger pipes give the illusion of bigger turbos.
I did start working on the waste gate pipes and flanges yesterday afternoon. Chas and I were having an email conversation about them last night after, I sent him a couple of pictures of what I was doing. Then, he sent me a few different pictures of various waste gate setups on LM F40’s. I was looking at them and there’s a lot of difference between them. Chas said that, Pascal might have some more pictures and be able to give us some more insight on them. So, with that said, if Chas could post the pictures for discussion; if can’t, I will later after I get home from work. And,  if you, Pascal, have any good reference pictures for the waste gates that, would be great. I just can’t find any good pictures of the pipes coming out of the headers towards the rear from that angle. Anyway, any and all pictures of that area would be great for discussion. Since, this is what I’m working on right now, I thought that it would probably be good to have a little group discussion on the waste gate setup the next few days.

29 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

So, with that said, if Chas could post the pictures for discussion; if can’t, I will later after I get home from work.

Sorry, but as stated, I'm held captive by server failure at Postimg right now. Shades of P'bucket and I'm really unhappy about that right now.................:mg:

• Sad 1

Sorry, that sucks! And, I know that is really slowing you down on the recreation of your Roller build. Since I have the pictures, I’ll resize them and post them tonight. As a side note, I’m able to use PI to resize my pictures and then copy them back to my PC and then send them to my blog and link them from there back to my thread. So, some of it is functional for me and, since I’m not held hostage by these photo web hosting websites I won’t lose my picture content on my threads. 
It might be something that you look into doing this week if the problem persists. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

It might be something that you look into doing this week if the problem persists. Thanks!

I have been but largely trying to create a master doc with photo locations so I'm ready no matter which way I go. I hate keeping guys waiting who are actively trying to build a Rolls right now.

OK, I resized the pictures but, not all of them are of waste gates so, I'm just going to post those and one other that looks like some type of Cat in the pipe.

Is this a Cat in the pipe?

spacer.png

This just appears to be a stock waste gate hiding behind prop rod for the rear bonnet in the center on top of the heat shield on this Liberty Walk F-40

spacer.png

This appears to be an oversized polished aluminum waste perched on top of the center pipe 

spacer.png

This setup is one that, I've never seen before with dual waste gates. I'm wondering if there are a couple more turbos hiding under there somewhere in front of the two you can see? The plumbing is curious as well, any ideas on this? I really like the center waste gate V pipe with the large two into one exhaust collector tip. It's any pictures from the other end looking to the back that would be interesting to see, especially on this engine!

spacer.png

Wayne,

You are going to think that I am stalking your, but I’m not.

I left you a message on your Mercedes build about helping with the directions to load pictures.

Codger gave me assistance, but the breakdown occurred when trying to send them to this site.

If you have a moment can you please share your instructions to load pics from Postimage to this site.

Thanking you in advance.

Brian

I just saw your posts this morning and I will have to go back and look at my notes from when I used to post the pictures directly from Postimage to the thread. Currently, I only use Postimage to resize my pictures to the thumbnail size required by britmodeller. I have a blog setup for linking my pictures from and then to the thread. This insures that if something happens to the picture hosting site or, as in what happened a couple years ago with photo bucket happens again, none of my pictures would disappear from the thread. This is what happened to Codgers RR thread. I’m off today so, I’ll look at it and see if I can get you some information. Also, know that there’s a number of hosting sites and more than one way to do it; this will just be my way. 
As far as pc vs iPad I don’t see why you can’t use it. You are not actually posting any pictures from your iPad or computer to the thread. This is why you have to use a hosting website or a blog which, becomes a defacto host. Britmodeller does not allow pictures to be directly posted from anyone’s personal device due to the risk of malware getting into the forum and taking down everything. So that’s why when you post you copy the URL link to your picture and then post it. Your picture really shows up as a link to it from the website hosting it thus protecting the forum from malware. Sorry for the long winded explanation. Anyway, I’ll look into the easiest way for you to attach your pictures and let you know.

Brian, I just posted to your thread, I hope it helps. 

And, as long as I'm here I might as well post a quick update. I'm still waiting on the pipe bends from Plastruct for the turbo pipe exhaust but, I intend on getting back to the waste gate tomorrow. I've been dealing with real world wife car issues the last three days straight so, not much time to work on this one. The key word there is "wife" so, I hope that conveys the urgency to all. And, it's still not fixed despite now being in and out of the repair shop 3 days in a row. :rant:

Wayne,

Thanks to your help with directions on posting from Postimage, I was finally able with a bit of help from Apple to add pictures to my build. It is only 4 easy steps, who knew!

Your Mercedes build is chock full of ideas that I can implement on my RR.

I’m Grateful,

Brian

Brian, I’m glad that you were able to get the picture uploading sorted out. I have seen the first few on your thread and they look good but, I haven’t had time to comment on them. I’m  also happy that my Mercedes will be of some help to you with your Rolls. Like I mentioned before, that was a fun build that evolved from a straight forward build into one where I kept making more modifications and changes as it went on. Mostly with the help and encouragement from Codger. This build, even though it started out as a fairly complicated build has, once again, evolved into something even more challenging. I know that, I tend to go a little bit too long in between posts but, I’m usually doing something or thinking about how to get what I want. I think that if I was just building it straight from the transkit, I would probably be a little farther along. This exhaust and turbo line fittings detour has added a lot more time than I anticipated. I’m happy with how it is coming out and if I had known that it was going to take so long, I don’t know if I would have done it but, it’s done now. Right now, I’m actually waiting on the order for some parts to finish the exhaust. I’m not very happy with how long it’s taking to get them but, in the meantime I’m still messing around with the waste gate pipes and some other things. I’ve also had some changes at work and I thought that, my assignment was done and I would be able to spend more time on the build. However, I was given a whole new assignment and  I have been a little busier than I anticipated. Anyway, things are getting sorted out and starting to move forward again.

Thank you,

First off, I spruced up the engine stand, by any standards it looked unattractive.

A little paint does wonders.

In regards to the RR, I am reconsidering my game plan. It was suggested that I consider a OOB build, perhaps, maybe. I do know that I spent an awful amount of time reading and studying this build, when I could be just building. The modifications that JRH, Codger and you have done are out of my skill set, that I know, and I am not so sure that I can dedicate endless time building it and figuring all there work out. I am in no rush, however.

The pictures that I posted of the engine were taken before I prettied it up.  After taking the engine apart I left all the parts sitting in place.

I made a mistake in the placement of the 3 generator wires, which I based on roller pictures on the MMC site, live and learn.

Thank you, again, for your help.

I understand your concerns regarding just doing an OOB build but, let me impart a little knowledge here. When I started on the Mercedes this, was my exact intent as well. I have always considered myself a decent builder but, no where in the category of a number of builders here on the forum and elsewhere. As I went along and started doing some things, I got a little better at things and just kept at it with a little help, OK, a lot of help, from one Mr. C. We would talk through problems and issues that, sometimes were mutual and sometimes not but, we always came up with workable scenarios. Sometimes it wasn't exactly talking as much as he pushed me to try things. :jabber:As I went along my confidence grew and I found myself making decisions to make a lot of changes to the body, add a lot of scratch built detail and eventually to light it up. My Mercedes is really the budget model when it comes to Mercedes kits in the Pocher world. I was actually trying to make it look more like the K82 and not my lowly K91. Again, as things progressed I started taking more and more risks with the build. My mantra became "what the heck it's only plastic and paint and if I screw it up, I can fix it and do it again"! :oops:Over the course of the 2-3 years it took to complete the build, I was adding MMC parts as I went and the modifications just evolved. I never set out to build the car that, I ended up with. With this F-40, it's kinda the same but, with a bit more planning, not much mind you but a little bit more. I knew that, this transkit was going to be pretty daunting but, after the Mercedes, I knew that I could do it. I just really didn't think that, I was going to try and upgrade and elevate a 2000 plus part transkit because, I wasn't satisfied with some of the parts.  For instance, I spent a couple of months and bought a lot of small parts just to improve the turbo hose line fittings because, I didn't like the white metal ones in the transkit. Who does that? :banghead:I guess someone as stupid as me but, what the heck it's my kit and I'm going to do it the way I want it, no matter how long it takes!

Nobody starts out being a scratch building expert, you learn by doing and, yes, failing. If you don't try and stretch yourself here and there on a kit like this when will you? You don't have to try and do everything that, Chas did with his Rolls but, you can do what you are comfortable with and you will get help and support along the way. If you have any questions, all you have to do is ask. Now, start building whatever you are comfortable with!

• Like 1

Thank you, again 😃!

I believe that you just articulated so elegantly what I feel. I am confident that mistakes will be made, but I really don’t care, as you said it is only plastic. Which, but the way, I have a complete second body and floor spare parts, just in case.

I’ll follow along with the Koo dvd, Codger’s and your Merc, and do the best I can.

I also know that there are people who I can call upon for assistance. I am soooo surprised at the number of views I have had on my thread, to bad there is not much to see, but words, but I’ll fix that. I am working on the extra fuel line with the extra lines as well, if it stinks I’ll do it again. My classical music training teaches me the need for extreme patience and problem solving.

I really appreciate you and your amazing builds.