Another Tamiya Jag MkII

Well, bit of late sundays work here from yesterday - but before I start with this, a picture from the much more forgiving lens from my phone:

30529639zp.jpg

Not perfect, but so far it's good enough for me. Works.

But, now for something I found myself shying away from - the fiddling around of alclad'ing the window trims. Part 1 - covering

30529702fb.jpg

Part 2: Black base colour:

30529703jy.jpg

Part 3 - I won't bore you with that, but finally, I've made it today after a longer day of work to finish with the Alclad. After removing the masking tape no major catastrophes:

30529751dc.jpg

30529754kn.jpg

It's pretty decent in real life as well, but I've wanted it like that, to be fair.

What came out pretty good as well was the washing of the spoke wheels. I always found them much to shiny, and an attempt of dry painting them with a bit of more dull silver or leven light grey turned out good in large scale, but not on 1:24 like this in the past. So, I just gave them a pretty heavy washing with dark grey - and it looks pretty good: 

30529833su.jpg

So, enough of tinkering around with this for today - but maybe a kind request of sharing your experiences with these chrome decals, as I don't really trust these. I've tried to replace them with thinnest styrene half round profile frmo Ever Green, but even this is to thick, so I do not see any alternative. So, to those of you who are already trough this: any hints and tricks, any suggestions - or do you have alternatives on these?

Yours, G.

• Like 1

On 30.9.2017 at 4:22 PM, Sabrejet said:

To quote an old advert, "No-one does wood more good" (well you get the gist).

A Jag without wood trim is like, let say Twiggy with love handles ( to stay period correct). It just doesn't feel right...

On 02/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, Chief Cohiba said:

So, enough of tinkering around with this for today - but maybe a kind request of sharing your experiences with these chrome decals, as I don't really trust these. I've tried to replace them with thinnest styrene half round profile frmo Ever Green, but even this is to thick, so I do not see any alternative. So, to those of you who are already trough this: any hints and tricks, any suggestions - or do you have alternatives on these?

Yours, G.

I've used the Tamiya chrome decals on their Lotus Europa. They look really good and go on easily - too easily, in fact! Once the glue makes contact with the plastic/paint they're stuck forever. Make sure you line them up perfectly!

This is easier said than done.

• Like 1

On 4.10.2017 at 7:50 PM, Chimpion said:

I've used the Tamiya chrome decals on their Lotus Europa. They look really good and go on easily - too easily, in fact! Once the glue makes contact with the plastic/paint they're stuck forever. Make sure you line them up perfectly!

This is easier said than done.

Thanks for the hint - this is much appreciated! May I ask one more thing - it says in the instructions to neatly cut around the chrome strip, which I unterstand as cutting away the transparent strip. Is this correct, or am I wrong on this?

It was a while ago now, but if I remember correctly for the spaced L O T U S letters on the boot I cut around the whole area, and the transparent layer just pulled off once they were attached. I certainly didn't have any issues with this transparent film.

• Like 1

Started with the chrome trim a few days ago, and, I gues due to the age of the kit, these strips don't bond in any way. So, I worked around my way with CA, sigh - after a first bit of helplessly fiddling around, it workes pretty well with starting to glue the trim to the body at one point...

30624759te.jpg

... and then working to the other end, applying the glue very thin, I do it with an old nib, and press it to the other end. Looks good, once applied.

30624761zv.jpg

So, I plan to work my way through this the nex days, but this is still fiddly - I am afraid I've already sacrificed one of the smaller trims to the floor monster. Don't know yet if I do without or replace. We'll see...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Chief Cohiba

Did you ever get thigetne completed  ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat, the answer is, No, but Not yet. It still is here and just requires a severe kick in the lower parts (the builder, not the model).

I plan to restart this in the more near future and finish it. I just need - see above... 😉

(Btw; this " 2 years later" button is new? Quite frustrating to see... 😄

Cheers, Guenther

• Like 1
  • Haha 1