1/72 Airfix Spitfire F Mk.22 607 Sqn 1948

No 607 (County of Durham) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, RAF Ouston. 1948 Cooper Trophy race.

Here is my second build of 2017. It's the Airfix 1/72 scale Spitfire F Mk.22 in Cooper Trophy racing colours. Colours were mostly a mix of Revell and Humbrol enamels sprayed through a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution airbrush. Matt coat was W&N acrylic matt varnish which was thinned and brushed on with a wide, flat brush. The decals performed well, although the roundels seemed a bit thick and some minor silvering here and there was easily dealt with using a scalpel and Decalfix. Overall this was an enjoyable build despite a few problems with the fit of the wings and a deep and stubborn seam on the upper cowl. I added an aerial out of some stretched sprue and made a very basic harness from some masking tape. Otherwise it was completely OOB.

Here are a few photos for your enjoment. As usual, all comments are welcome.

ran3_zps4c9l8yoz.jpg

ran10_zpslpyoe9c9.jpg

ran5_zpsyeff2fhy.jpg

ran11_zpsobjldekr.jpg

ran9_zpsc32vw7bi.jpg

ran14_zpsiuoydth2.jpg

ran18_zpskowavtol.jpg

Edited by dadgaddad
  • Like 23

1 hour ago, Beard said:

They both look very smart. What did you thin the varnish with to achieve such a good finish?

Hi, Beard

As a bit of an experiment I first tried warming it in some hot water. This worked ok but for the final coats I just used plenty of water before applying with a wide, flat brush. The primer, colour and gloss coats were all carefully polished to a high shine which gave a nice, smooth surface which really made a big difference. This was the first time using the W&N and it's great stuff. 

Edited by dadgaddad

4 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks. I use W&N and apply it with a wide, flat brush too but don't always get the finish I want. What water to varnish ratio did you use?

I knew you were going to ask me that but I'm afraid I used a ratio of some water to some varnish. It was very thin, though and applied in thin layers with brushstrokes all in the same direction. 

• Like 2

You have made a great model and stands out lovely.

made the same model last year, mine put up a fight, didn't fall together, fuselage didn't join up well, some parts were very soft in detail, and joint line front panel hard to sand, I do remember a whole night putting on the decals on propeller assembly.

Lot of these Mk 22 have been made, a very popular kit, wonder why Airfix didn't tool it to be able to do a Mk 24.

• Like 1