Hasegawa F-16C done in the colours of 64th Aggressor Squadron from Nellis Air Base.

I know I'm a bit late getting this off the ground, just over 3 weeks to go but I've been plugging away at it & progress is accelerating, sort of, I hope. :D

This is the aircraft I'm modelling, no shortage of reference pics in this case. :) I'm using the Two Bobs, Blizzard Bad Guys sheet, which has marking for 86-269, which, with some jiggery pokery, I'm aiming to turn the 6 into a 9. It'll only be the Pilots name under the cockpit missing but in 1/72 I can live with that, Sorry Major Halverson. Anyway, 1stly of course, sprue pics.

DSCF2772

Missing are the 2 Hasegawa weapons sets I needed to do the specialied sensors these aircraft flew with. I have them now though.

Cockpit done, I'll be doing it with the canopy closed so this will do.

DSCF2774

Some detail painting done & a couple of the sub assemblies in progress, this was several days ago so more has been done since.

DSCF2775

I'm still waiting to see if I need weight forward to prevent tail sitting as per my post in the chat thread, I'm beginning to think not trying some test balances about the main U/C point but there is more to go on yet including things under wings.

Steve.

• Like 4

Great start - I got the Revell kit for the jammer....tempted to start it too.....those Two Bobs decals are like proverbial rocking horse manure!

• Like 1

Nothing very exciting to report but progress has been steady & I'm feeling resonably upbeat about my chances of bringing this one in now. It now looks like a F-16 at least. Still some seams to tidy up but nothing too awful.

DSCF2776

DSCF2777

Just realised I need to put the "beer cans" on the leading edges & then double check from photos what sticky out bits stay on & what I need to add.

Steve.

• Like 2

A couple more progress shots. The camo pattern on these agressors is quite complex to my mind & I couldn't find any diagrams on line which matched mine so I printed off some photos from the website linked to earlier & then began to rough in the pattern using some thinned colour.

DSCF2778

This seemed to work quite well & after doing the green & the brown, I figured the remaining bits would be sand so after allowing overnight drying I started in on the green colour. I've also been playing with finding a match for the sand colour as it appears to me every photo I look at appears different so I've done a mix which I think will convey what I want it to look like, on the tips of the starboard elevator & fin in this shot.

DSCF2779

Excuse the crappy lighting. I'm a bit excited by this last shot, I know time is getting tight but I'm still hopeful of bringing this one in on time & this shot looks like I'm getting somewhere. I hope to have all the colours on by this time tomorrow, then it'll just be touch ups decals & sticky out bits to put on.

Steve.

Last update on this WIP, then off to the Gallery. I'm calling this done now but first a couple of progress shots from early in the week, after some pfaffing about, I finally hit on a mix for the FS 20400 Tan Special, which appeared to my eye to be not too far off the various photos of the plane I'm modelling, of which there're heaps on Flickr. 6 parts of Hu121 with one part of Hu94 appeared OK to me. Any mixs from the IPMS Stockholm site & list equivalents were all too dark to my eye, as was HU 149 given as an equivalent for the green shade FS 34092 so I used Hu31 Light Slate Grey, Hu119 appeared good for the brown shade FS 34140. Here are the final results, thankfully no underneath shade being a wrap around scheme.

DSCF2780

DSCF2781

Those colours appear fairly true to what I had on my monitor, taken in natural light. I did have a bit of fun with the starboard wing pattern & although it may not be quite right it is close, this aircraft has been refinished during its life & some other patterns created confusion as did the lack of a good topside plan view. It wasn't till I came to gloss coat prior to decalling that I saw how patchy my paint finish was, the perils of doing too much with artificial lighting & probably not enough of it. Anyway decalling, I did this over the last couple of days, aTwo Bobs sheet printed by Microscale, now I know why they make their Liquid Deal film. The walk ways were an early indication but I managed to get through them, it was a couple of the smaller ones that really caused grief including a couple of the irreplaceable ones. :(

Anyway, here she is, F-16C 86-299 of the 64th  Aggressor Fighter Squadron from Nellis Airbase. The decals were originally for 86-269 so I did some cutting & shutting to turn 6s into 9s.

DSCF2782

Looking a bit washed out, the light not so good today so using flash as well as daylight to eliminate some shadow, need a light box.

More to come in the Gallery soon.

Steve

• Like 2

Well done Steve you made it!!! It's great to see an F-16 in another different colour scheme and she does look different in this one, great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks for joining us, I hope the build was enjoyable for you, was a pleasure to have you along.

• Like 1