Welsh models resin kits

I am eyeing the 1/144 all resin dash 8 Q400 kit. 

Anyone have any experience with this or any Welsh resin kit? I bought the Viscount a few years back...never finished for some reason:idea:

The viscount kit was vac, metal and resin.  This Q400 is all resin, probably more modern?

tks

I've done the Super DC-3, and many of their vac/resin combination kits. There's a need for filling because the resin shrinks so the gaps are beyond huge, but that's just the nature of the beast. The details are crisp and the shapes are right. Buy with confidence.

• Like 1

Hi

A friend of mine got this kit and I have to say I was impressed. Generally I have found welsh models, especially the newer ones to be very good and I like them as there is a lot more work involved then a standard Injection kit.

Thanks 

• Like 1

I had an e-mail off him this very morning regarding the forthcoming CASA 212 in Evergreen markings.

He is at home and very busy with his business and looking after his wife, Trish, who is unwell.

Suggest that you try again to set up your order, he might have missed it, or, is still to get to it.

He is due to ring me later and I will mention this correspondence.

Vince

On 3/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, billneill said:

OK thanks, I didn't want to bug the guy if he has family stuff going on. Not in a real hurry a few days wont hurt. I'm pretty deaf so I prefer email or text

Bill

If it looks like dragging on Densil won't mind a reminder as long as it's courteous. He told me a couple of months ago that his wife has had a minor stroke so he's obviously got his hands full and it's understandable that the odd thing might get overlooked.

Hi Mike,

The Welsh Q400 is all resin. I recently built their Dash-8-100, and found it to be a fun build. On the -100, the wing-to-fuselage fit wasn't very good, but it was easily fixed. The resin was a little softer than what they used to cast the CRJ I bought from them several years ago. It didn't seem to affect the structure at all, and it made it easier to fix the droop in the kit's wings. The landing gear struts are probably  the same on both kits, and the mains are scary-flimsy, until you build them and attach them to the model. Then they make a much stronger structure. Compare the shape of the nacelles forward of the wing with pics of the real thing. I think Welsh's are too "squarish," for lack of a better word, don't taper down to the prop spinners enough, so the spinners appear undersized.  

Like others have said, Welsh's newer kits are a lot of fun. Even their vac kits are very good. The only reason I don't own more of them is they put a large dent in my modeling budget.

Cheers!

Ben

• Like 1

Thanks so much Ben. :like:

I agree. Due to budgetary reasons, I decided to go with the F-27. I have a hankering to do a vac kit. :fingerscrossed:

This one has the resin wings and metal props. 

As a kid, I used to live right beneath the final of Rnw 310L at O'Hare field Chicago. Saw many Ozark F-27s. So I'll go with that livery.

I see that Welsh makes a CV580 kit. Depending on how this build goes, I may get a North Central scheme...or maybe an Authentic Airliner kit?:think:

Edited by Mike Esposito