"well,Its like a tugboat with wings"

Hi Eveybody!

This is My first Aircraft build on Britmodeller,a conversion of the venerable Revell 1/48 PBY Catalina into a Super Catalina that appeared in the 1989 Steven Spielberg Movie 'Always'.

You must remember the opening scene:-

DSCF0001_zpswghggtvj.jpg

I'll be adding some aftermarket to this build,namely the Belcher Bits replacement tail,Eduard Window Masks,Eduard Brassin wheels,Quickboost 48 554 resin engines,SAC white metal undercarriage set and Draw Decals set:-

DSCF0004_zpsncfuermc.jpg

DSCF0005_zpslwz2bssv.jpg

DSCF0006_zpstuswl62n.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsauhvdeyz.jpg

The Super Catalina variant is re-engined from 1,200 hp P&W R1830 Twin Wasps to 1700 hp Wright R-2600 Twin Cyclones,I am taking care of these with the Quickboost set, and using a donor kit for the cowlings, in the shape of an Italeri 2650 B25 Mitchell kit (Accurate Minutures Moulds):-

DSCF0002_zps8unakyoo.jpg

Other changes required will be remove the front gun turret,modify the nose shape,scracthbuild some 'speakers?' for each side of the nose and enlarge the rudder.

I have already made a start, and will post a progress report soon.

Keep Sticking!               Cheers,  Pete

• Like 7

Incidently, since you're going to all this effort the real PBY / Catalina has a waisted rear fuselage at the base of the fin which the kit does not capture.

Lanseaire02.jpg

I thought you may wish to know about that in advance to address it whilst doing everything else! Belcher Bits makes a resin correction but since you need to extend the fin anyway it's probably not the way to go in this instance.

3 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

This is great! I love that film. Are there decals for Tanker 57 and 59 available too? (The A/B-26 Invaders)

Draw decals has tanker 59 decals available as well. 

Not many users of those old A-26's but they were a great sight to see coming in to drop on the fire ahead of you...

foresterab

• Like 2

Hi Evertbody!

Thanks for the replies to the posts,as Foresterstab says,there are Draw Decals available for the A26 Invader,I have some tucked into the box of a Monogram kit in the stash for a future project.

Sovereign Hobbies,thanks for the info on the tail shape,I was aware of it and got the Belcher Bits replacement tail which addresses the problem,seems to be a standard fix for the kit.

I was also made aware there is an issue with the size and position of the blisters (wrong cross-section and too large and the height on the fuselage is too high),but I won't be addressing that on this build.

I was going the post some progress photos but Photobucket does not appear to be working at the moment,will try again later.

Many thanks for the interest in the project!

Keep Sticking!                                       Cheers,   Pete

• Like 2

Well,Photobucket seems to be behaving It's self now,so some progress:-

Tailpiece and rudder pinned to replacement fuselage end with brass pins and epoxy:-

7_zpsoyiuxwv8.jpg

8_zpstxqfj6hw.jpg

Top of tail cut off and new profile built up with plastic card:-

8A_zpskhjn8szw.jpg

8B_zpshdjklwds.jpg

Then built up with filler and MORE plastic card (Ooops!,faulty ruler,cold weather!¬:wink: shown against original kit tail for comparison:-

8C_zpsjbodvynw.jpg

Wings strengthened with brass box section:-

11_zps2h6dzj92.jpg

12_zpsfpdfmq1c.jpg

White metal undercarriage parts epoxied together using whell wells as jig:-

10_zpsvkiohzja.jpg

9_zpsbreyvdtd.jpg

Nose marked out for turret fairing removal and plastic card ribs attatched:-

14_zpsha7nu6dd.jpg

15_zpsbfassq03.jpg

Front of original nacelles cut off,Mitchell firewalls prepared and parts from Mitchell kit glued to wings:-

18_zpshte7znov.jpg

17_zpsfo2go1pw.jpg

19_zpsskbco6yc.jpg

21_zpsjwosjcg3.jpg

20_zpszqpjzma4.jpg

Started fill,sand,fill,sand etc........ getting there! :-

22_zpsw2pzuyxn.jpg

25_zps4twpyk6r.jpg

26_zpsmh47xvbp.jpg

24_zpsvrdmsgms.jpg

A little weight added to fuselage!! (Catalina = Tail-sitter, Catailna + solid resin tail = !!!!!!!!!!) Approx. 200g!  Hence the metal U/C.

16_zps7wtaadsl.jpg

More soon!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 5

Will be interested in seeing how this turns out.

I've yet to see a PBY tanker in action although the North West Territories still has a couple on strength if I recall.   Just had a co-worker retire after 40 years of fire duties and he told me the PBY was still his favorite tanker to see overhead.

Looking good so far,

foresterab

Great start to an interesting project! Looking forward to how this turns out. 

That does look a lot of weight... but I can't talk as I did he same to my Lib and as you say you are using a resin tail, and they are a bit hefty compared to the normal plastic. 

Good luck

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

A quick update on the progress so far:-

Air intakes cut from original Revell nacelles,trimmed and glued in position (some basic brass exhausts fitted as well:-

38_zpsf1eju2dj.jpg

27_zpswmqt0w9d.jpg

50_zpskm6bllx3.jpg

49_zpsxmopzuww.jpg

Cockpit and rear section interior done and fuselage closed up:-

31_zpsr0mmkqoj.jpg

30_zpsj4zvtusg.jpg

29_zpsq42laiqa.jpg

33_zpsbbjfzugm.jpg

32_zpse6pwos5q.jpg

Popped the wings on loose for a quick 'Look-See':D :-

34_zpsfkfqxcfa.jpg

'Re-Tasked' the kit cockpit-top radome the give a basic guide for the 'rounded off pointy bit' on the nose:-

35_zpszcobgdry.jpg

36_zpsh8oa9k71.jpg

37_zps3kbpeptb.jpg

Took pics of the fuselage panel detail before I get the angle grinder :o out! :-

41_zpsuajdpwci.jpg

40_zpsm4f6lbgj.jpg

42_zpsqo7tj2yl.jpg

First fill-sand session:-

43_zpss1jibvnj.jpg

44_zpsepnkkvtz.jpg

45_zpsnv5itrab.jpg

.....And guide primed,much more 'Fiil,Sand Prime' to go :(:rain:

46_zpss9h8mxke.jpg

47_zpsspyyzngz.jpg

48_zps2wfwz9js.jpg

It's a bit like 'Rose with the turned up Nose' :guitar: at the minute,but I'll get it licked into shape!

More in the not too distant.........

Keep Sticking!!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There!

Yes, I'm still here!!

Just been buried under a pile of dust, so not to much to show in the meantime :tired: ,  I've just about got the shape of the nose finalised,hoping to re-scribe tomorrow and get on with priming up properly! :-

51_zpshgrfkhwr.jpg

52_zpsct8iglnk.jpg

53_zpsonyhx4sm.jpg

54_zpscvvnttql.jpg

55_zpshtvmx4zr.jpg

Used some Vallejo Plastic Putty around the intake fairings, I've heard some mixed reports about this but found it works really well. Apparently it does not like acrylic primers,I use alclad grey filler primer and had no problems, also it is said to be not good for large gaps and building up in layers and does not sand cleanly,but I think if You use it for small seam gaps etc. it works well,it has a very fine (less than 1mm) nozzle,and can be smoothed while still wet with a damp cotton bud,leaving it ready to paint.:-

56_zpsmr551xao.jpg

Wing landing light lenses fitted over recessed 'Little Cars' lenses, ready to clean up and polish:-

57_zps5opvimvu.jpg

More soon, not back at work till Saturday!!!:yahoo:

Stay Tuned, and......

Keep Sticking!!       Cheers,  Pete

• Like 3

Great movie. Great work. I'll stay tuned for sure.

I once saw a french Canadair filling his tanks ... on something better named a pond than a lake. I just could say Wow. These flying firemen are incredible (mostly ex French naval aviation pilots, I think).

Edited by PattheCat