Jump to content

Moebius 1/144 XD1 Discovery: RELEASED!


The Tomohawk Kid
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, paul bardell said:

 

 

YES  YES Please.

 

how much £? /  when available? 

 

me want one now!

 

 

 

 

No information on the price point, I would however imagine it will be in the same price bracket as the Moebuis large Seaview. Should be available towards the end of the year.

 

Thomo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

No information on the price point, I would however imagine it will be in the same price bracket as the Moebuis large Seaview. Should be available towards the end of the year.

 

Thomo.

Discovery won't be released until 2018.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:yahoo: Wonder if they'll do the Alexei Leonov from 2010?  If they do, I hope it'll be the same scale :pray:

 

Must also have an Orion... :yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike said:

:yahoo: Wonder if they'll do the Alexei Leonov from 2010?  If they do, I hope it'll be the same scale :pray:

 

Must also have an Orion... :yes:

 

The Orion repop will be  a minor retool of the existing Moebius tool to resolve the over thick wings.

 

Personally, I would have loved to see Moebius announce a Boeing Aries 1-B, but that would be a massive tooling exercise for little return. I'll have to be satisfied with the top banana AJA 1/48 Aries (with interior), which I believed Adam has sold on and will be repoped and upgraded.

 

Good times for lovers of the greatest film ever committed to celluliod

 

Thomo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
typo, what else?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Personally, I would have loved to see Moebius announce a Boeing Aries 1-B, but that would be a massive tooling exercise for little return. I'll have to be satisfied with the top banana AJA 1/48 Aries (with interior), which I believed Adam has sold on and will be repoped and upgraded.

 

As would I.

 

There are some other 1/144 2001 kits out there, though, that would make nice companion pieces to the new Discovery. Stargazer Models, for one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iSteve said:

As would I.

 

There are some other 1/144 2001 kits out there, though, that would make nice companion pieces to the new Discovery. Stargazer Models, for one.

 

I don't normally do 1/144, whilst I utterly respect Ian's work

 

I have the AJA 1/48 Aries and the Fantastic Space Station V and the MiM large scale Moonbus with custom turned engine bells.

 

Thomo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

More info from Moebius:

 


"Don't lie don't shade" solves everything. 'We're making a kit of the Discovery, we've got some fantastic people doing the reference work to make it great. It's going to retail at $200 USD, and it will not have a pod bay or cockpit interior. We've made this difficult choice to try and keep the price down, our original spec for a full interior pushed the retail price over $300 and that just wasn't going to work for the retailers, they would not support it. So, no interior but we're working with some key aftermarket people who will fill that gap. We've made it easy, with separate pod bay doors, separate airlock door, and a separate 'backing plate' on the cockpit. We're doing the full color cardboard 'fake cockpit' for those that don't want to bother with the aftermarket stuff but who also don't want just black windows. We're proud and excited to bring the Discovery to the plastic kit world!'

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 06:28, The Tomohawk Kid said:

More info from Moebius:
"Don't lie don't shade" solves everything. 'We're making a kit of the Discovery, we've got some fantastic people doing the reference work to make it great. It's going to retail at $200 USD, and it will not have a pod bay or cockpit interior. We've made this difficult choice to try and keep the price down, our original spec for a full interior pushed the retail price over $300 and that just wasn't going to work for the retailers, they would not support it. So, no interior but we're working with some key aftermarket people who will fill that gap. We've made it easy, with separate pod bay doors, separate airlock door, and a separate 'backing plate' on the cockpit.

 

Why doesn't Moebius do a limited run separate kit themselves? Since they have all the specs for the main kit, they could probably have one out faster than anyone else - and in styrene?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HMSLion said:

$200 is pretty steep.  I hope they do a decent job with the molds...SF kits are infamous for second-class work, with the exception of the Fine Moulds kits.

 

I think times improved vastly. The Bandai Star Wars kits are very good - maybe better that the Fine Mold kits. The AMT 1999 Eagle is excellent. The new Star destroyer fom Zevezda which is also available from Revell Germany looks great and Moebius does very nice SciFi kits too. Even some of the Revell Germany Star Wars kits are great but suffer from odd scales - at least on the box. The Revell TIE Interceptor is infact about the same size as the FM and Bandai 1:72 ones and has very good detail.

 

I suppose the only problem with this kit will be the price tag which will surely put most impulse buyers off. Still very nice to see this beeing tooled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HMSLion said:

$200 is pretty steep.  I hope they do a decent job with the molds...SF kits are infamous for second-class work, with the exception of the Fine Moulds kits.

There is also a company called bandai that are producing kits from a small film called "star wars" that are pretty nice .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

 

[...] The new Star destroyer fom Zevezda which is also available from Revell Germany [...] 

For the moment the Revell offering is limited, and stock at Revell sold out... So better hurry (unless they're allowed to have a second batch).

Sorry for off topic...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

For the moment the Revell offering is limited, and stock at Revell sold out... So better hurry (unless they're allowed to have a second batch).

Sorry for off topic...

I wonder if it hit the shelfs already. Up till now I have not seen it anywhere in stock. Only as pre-order or as "will be shipped in 1-2 weeks" and such.

But I agree - the Revell boxing of the Fine Mold kits were sold pretty quickly. Yet can only be found here and there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The Tomohawk Kid changed the title to Moebius 1/144 XD1 Discovery: RELEASED!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...