Aeronavalé Lancaster Cockpits Color

Don McIntyre

This is reference for a future project. I'm planning on doing the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster as an Aeronavalé aircraft. I'm going to do the overall Blue finished aircraft.

Would the cockpit have been Black (left over from wartime service?) or would the it have been painted Interior Grey-Green when they were refurbished? How about inside the nose. I know you won't see much of the rest of the interior, and the bomb bay will be closed so I'm not worried about that.

I've got the really nice Berna decals, I'm thinking of ordering the Belcher Bits Engine Nacelles Set. Someday, if I can find the Eduard set(s) at a price I'm willing to pay, I want to pick them up. Is there anything else that anyone would suggest for such a build?

This is (more or less) how I want to do mine,

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Duggy009/media/Avro-Lancaster-French-1.jpg.html

Did the French use the USN Dark Blue or something more akin to Oxford Blue? Some B&W photos seem to show something a bit lighter than the USN Blue.

• Like 1

Not sure about the blue but the cockpit of the Lancaster in the RAAFA Museum in Perth is black. It's an ex-Aeronavalé aircraft and I very much doubt it's been repainted as the original equipment is stil fitted inside.

Hello Dears,

In the '90, I visited the workshop of the "Musée de l'air" at Dugny. That's on the other side facing Le Bourget Airport.

They were restoring a section of one of their Aeronavale Lancaster and everything was painted grey green.

I must have photos but find it is another challenge !!

May be a look through the web searching for the Lancaster project of AMAA.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

27 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Don,

I found this, seem to have painted in black after all.

http://aalebourget.fr/category/lancaster/

Have a nive day.

Corsaircorp

It's clearly lighter than USN blue.

Kinda like australian dark sea blue (like the Sea Furies)

Corsaircorp

Hello Don,

Hope that I will not Hijack your thread,

As I will surely not make 2 Lancs, I put a dime on this one.

WP_20170316_11_12_54_Pro

So Eduard interior is a good deal, it will give you that..

WP_20170316_11_14_36_Pro

Most of it will not appear when the fuselage is closed, but ;...

Eduard exterior is interesting too, did'nt buy it yet,

Then the flaps, nerve raking but can give a good add, be carefull, did'nt see much photos of Lancs with flaps full down.

I will lower it just a bit.

Engine nacelles, if one add must be choosed, take this one but...

Lot of surgery and the nacelles are engraved, the kit is raised, :huh:, did you see what I mean..

Do not make the same mistake as I did make it.

I started to engrave my lanc, and remake all the rivets with MDC tool ( I mean one by one and there's a lot of it.)

One the fuselage of a Lanc, rivetes are raised and visible !! Oh yes Sir, I'm in trouble now.

WP_20170316_11_15_26_ProWP_20170316_11_13_43_ProWP_20170316_11_14_05_Pro

The barrels for the MG is not expensive and it's a good add, but I think that Aussie Lanc have round perforation instead of the oval british ones.

Hope that it can help.

Have a nice day.

Corsaircorp

Thank you for all the info and your experiences with the kit Corsaircorp.

Thank you especially for those photos of the restoration, those will be bookmarked and will certainly be very useful. 

• Like 1

Not quite as well detailed perhaps but there is a member on the Airfix Lancaster build who is going the produce the restored WU21 . . .

he too has been enquiring about the specific colouring of the French  Lancaster Bleu as opposed to the Lancaster Blanc

All of this has been quite informative for me, as I plan to start on a French MR.7 Lancaster, using the Revell of Germany 1/72 kit and the Xtradecals.

I was hoping the interior would've been gray-green, but the black interior will hide a lot of my amateurish building. :blink:

Since it is a Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft, with camera(s), I was thinking they might have carried photoflash bombs in the bomb bay. I just have to figure out which type to use.

Larry