Rebuild of the Lunar models Discovery from 2001

Definitely feeling your pain too ;)

Wonderful work! I assume you opted for no lights and jingles?

I`ve seen somewhere in the deep net a build with pod and lights and interiour-it would be worth it i guess?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, 2lefthands said:

Definitely feeling your pain too ;)

Wonderful work! I assume you opted for no lights and jingles?

I`ve seen somewhere in the deep net a build with pod and lights and interiour-it would be worth it i guess?

Thank you. 

I did think about adding some extra details like an interior pod bay but it would have involved building all the interior from scratch as the version I have is not at the same scale as the Moebius kit; the currently available interior sets and extras don't fit my version.   Scratch building the interior would have added months if not years to an all ready long and very protracted build.  

• Like 2

Hi Glueman,

Wonderful work on this ancient Lunar Models resin kit!   The early release of this featured a square void in the command sphere and a very simple pod bay.  With some effort, it is possible to include some details and lighting that greatly improved the appearance of the completed model.  Not as good as what can be done today with the Moebius kit.  Here is what I managed to do with the kit:

spacer.png

Good Luck,

Bill

• Like 5

On 5/18/2022 at 3:03 AM, Jeddahbill said:

Hi Glueman,

Wonderful work on this ancient Lunar Models resin kit!   The early release of this featured a square void in the command sphere and a very simple pod bay.  With some effort, it is possible to include some details and lighting that greatly improved the appearance of the completed model.  Not as good as what can be done today with the Moebius kit.  Here is what I managed to do with the kit:

spacer.png

Good Luck,

Bill

Thank you Bill.  Your Discovery is fantastic ... amazing!!!    I hope mine turns out as well as your version.

In my version of the kit the command module was hollow but the shape of the void was very irregular.  In places the thickness of the resin material was very thin (e.g. at the pod bay doors) but in other places very thick.  Would have been quite a job to make the void the same shape everywhere.  I've decided that my Discovery will be in "cruise to Jupiter" mode with all the lights switched off and everyone asleep.

Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently been thinking about Shades of Grey ...

Before I get banned ... it's shades of grey on the Command module ... honest.  I've been following a guide on a facebook page for painting the command module which involves applying different shades of grey with sections masked before applying the next shade. The process is repeated several times to build up the different grey tones.  The order I applied the paint is as follows (all are Tamiya acrylics):

XF63 German grey (darkest)

XF53 Neutral grey

XF25 Light Sea Grey

XF80 Royal light grey (lightest)

The photo below shows the different greys but also scratch marks caused when I was removing the masking tape.  As I knew which grey I had applied where I could spray over the region to remove the scratch marks

52006573379_9af195fd14_b.jpg

The final should have been flat white (XF2) with a few drops of XF53.  However, I over did the grey and it came out looking too grey when compared to the spine and the engine block, which are almost pure white (XF2).  So I had to mask off the grey areas and apply a white coat again (bottom photo).  I still think the grey areas are too obvious and so will probably apply another mist coat of flat white. 

Does anyone have any handy tips on how to apply a thin mist coat?  My aim is to blend in the different grey tones a bit more so that they are not too obvious.  Thanks

52154912968_ab7d664b4c_b.jpg

52153894927_29e12e6136_b.jpg

• Like 5

Paint lifting is very, very frustrating.

The best primer, without doubt, that i`ve used so far is Stylnyrez. IF you can shoot it through your AB and if you really made your home work degreasing the resin, it stays put.

It withstand Gaffer tape, couldn`t believe it.

Misting: Dilute it like normal, milky, and use some distance and a bit more pressure..painting is sometimes also very frustrating, but since you used Tamiyas acrylics, just wipe everything off with isopropyl alcohol if you`re not happy.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:54 PM, 2lefthands said:

Your surfaces look quite coarse, is it the model or paint drying on its way to the model? Or dust?

I think it is a combination of all three ... but mostly the model surface.  This is an older resin kit that has been painted before.  

TBH it's very frustrating at times.  It looks good when I'm spraying but when dry it has the coarse texture and also with the odd dot or two of paint.

• Like 1