Airfix Wildcat

Recent arthritic finger problems have had an impact on modelling and many other things of late. They sometimes seize up or grip just goes occasionally without warning. Anything that has been attempted of late has ended in disaster. A recent Swordfish which took a while and was ready for rigging fell from my grasp with nasty results. So after laying off any builds I had a go at this one which again took longer than what most people can do. Just a build to keep the mojo going and trying not to let the finger problems get the better of me.

Upper surfaces was a bit of my own mix as well as the lowers (FS police won't stop me sleeping at night). Had a bit of a paint reaction on the underside for some reason but hopefully the patch up is hardly noticeable. It also crept onto the upper so the trailing edge of the starboard wing looks a little paler than the rest. Canopy framing looks better in the flesh. I have a spare so may replace this later. (Actually just noticed in the phots I've left some slivers of masking tape in places). Anyway, here it is.

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

• Like 46

Despite your health problems, you have still produced a lovely, clean and tidy model Wildcat!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Your model is really nice – I think the colours and markings are great.

The look of the Wildcat is growing on me and I should probably get a kit... Is this a new tool from Airfix, and would you recommend it?  

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Not bad for an old timer! lol. I too have difficulties with arthritic fingers so I appreciate your torment and applaud you for getting this one finished. It does look pretty good to me, in all honesty. I actually wondered if it was 1:48 for a moment, so you are still coming up with the goods.

Don

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's a little beauty Darb's!

Just what I was going to say, especially so with the hassles you've had, not that it is obvious to us anyway. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Hello,Darby - I'm sorry about your arthritis but it certainly hasn't had a negative effect on this fine-looking build of your 'Wildcat'.

Beautifully finished and the restrained but effective weathering looks spot on to me.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dazey said:

Your model is really nice – I think the colours and markings are great.

The look of the Wildcat is growing on me and I should probably get a kit... Is this a new tool from Airfix, and would you recommend it?  

Regards,

David

Tis indeed the Airfix one. My second attempt at one of these. The undercart needs careful dry fitting and alignment and the tolerances getting the fuselage halves together are a little testing at times. If you bear this in mind then it's not insurmountable.

The upper surfaces were a mix of Medium Sea Grey and Grauviolet would you believe and the lowers Lichtgrau (Sssh! The FS police are everywhere).

Exhaust muck was a light spray of some Humbrol 32. panel line were grey pastel applied with a well worn micro brush and lighter greys rubbed by finger (one of the more flexible ones) onto the upper surfaces. Paint chips were a silver pencil and a 6B graphite pencil stick.

Thanks for all the kindly words chaps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

hm. All I'm getting is broken links. Then again, I can't see my own post-image photos either. Its been on and off all week like that. 

There was a message on Postimage the day I posted these pics about a server causing a problem in various parts of the orbiting sphere

...and now I can see them again

14 minutes ago, Darby said:

There was a message on Postimage the day I posted these pics about a server causing a problem in various parts of the orbiting sphere

...and now I see them again. Must be the server in my part of the "globosphere" :)

Very nice work, too!