1/32 CAL Look Bug

Im venturing into new areas of the site as Im normally a scifi builder and this will be my first car build since I was a kid. I used to drive about in a beetle in the early 90`s and a very unusual one a that, at, it was a light blue 1969 1500cc semi auto, the reg was MEG 999F, standard form apart from the quad tail pipes ( dame it was loud) and I used to dream of owning a CAL look Bug and after the better half bought me the 1/32 airfix kit for Christmas I thought I best get it built before I start anymore robots. So I will be doing my best to come up with what I wanted my bug to look like back in the 90`s. It will have the boot and bonnet handles removed, the wing seams smoothed out , lowered and some big fat rims and tiers fitted, so will see what I can do with it.

First impressions on the kit is that is bloody awful, nothing fits well and the flashing is something else, details are not great so removing a few might be a good idea. My VW history is a bit rusty but I think the rear window is the wrong size for its year.

So Im on with preparing the body work and modding the seat so they have a bit more of a laid back driving poison and Im thing long and hard about what to do with the wheels. Do I just buy some slot car wheels or make good the kits wheels?

Not a lot to show but here are some WIP pics.

20170314_063323_zpssozmrzfx.jpg

Trying to add an bonnet and boot seam, I will keep at this and the Volks crest badge might have to go and front indicators have to go. 

20170314_200510_zpsamcesrdc.jpg

Some filler needed here! and that rear wind is the wrong size for the year the is supposed to be, rear wing seam smoothed out. The rain gully has has some sanding down but I think I need to make is smaller still, its still really out of scale.

20170314_200533_zpslk2jww5g.jpg

Working on the seats, one OOB and the other modded for the chilled out driver, might try and add a high back to then as well.

20170314_200407_zpsfcmzezsr.jpg

The skinny wheels are going to have to go.

20170314_063350_zpsnwannoad.jpg

That it for now.

Edited by rockpopandchips

Thanks beastieboy, a littel bit more work done. Modding the bumpers, minimised the the running board and also sanded down the rain gully to a more resonable size. Big bore exhuast going on as well.

20170318_093254_zpse9xacloe.jpg

Front bumper it not as simple as the back having to into parts and then fit back together before sanding into shape.

20170318_094010_zpscq0zvqae.jpg

Starting to look a bit more CAL......

20170318_094541_zpsi7sdc1fo.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, richellis said:

Looks good, I'd get the bumpers pulled in to the body a bit for the Cali look!

They sticking out a bit much still, will do.

Just ordered some slot car Porsche steel wheels, i hope they are going to fit in the wheel arches.

Enjoying this build, it's prompted me to start an old IMAI Bug 1303 Bug cabrio today. I'm going 'stock' with my build. Was hoping to build a replica of the Cal Look bug used in movie Boyz N The Hood but turns out the car used in the movie was a 1302 (flat windscreen).

Edited by BeastieBoy73
  • Like 1

I will look out for the wip of the 1303.

Not much has happened as i needed some wheels before i started to butcher the axles to lower the suspension, but they have arrived so i can brake out the cutters.

20170321_201805_zpscfsht9g4.jpg

Not sure if i should strip the chrome and repaint or not? The new tyers are 7mm the originals are only 3mm wide.

20170321_201759_zpszyyuhnj2.jpg

Nice 356 style wheels... How will you go about lowering it? I had planned to lower the 1303 by redrilling the holes for the axles so the wheel sit higher in the arches but it turns out the kits can be motorised and if I modify it then the gear on the rear axle will miss the gear on the motor.

11 hours ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

Nice 356 style wheels... How will you go about lowering it? I had planned to lower the 1303 by redrilling the holes for the axles so the wheel sit higher in the arches but it turns out the kits can be motorised and if I modify it then the gear on the rear axle will miss the gear on the motor.

Lowering the back should be easy, I will apply some heat and bend the rear axle, is should also give a bit of camber to the wheels as well. The front axle I have just re drilled the mount that fit to the bulk head and refitted it but now the wheels are bout 0.5mm to high inside the arches, so I will have to do some more tinkering. Once I have had a go at the backend tonight I will post some more pictures. I have sprayed the first 2 coats of paint as well and I need to do some sanding.....oops.

keeping the 1303 motorised sound like a good plan, may be fit some LED`s lights as well to give it some more life. You could have the hazard lights flashing, that would be very life like.....;)

5 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Lowering the back should be easy, I will apply some heat and bend the rear axle, is should also give a bit of camber to the wheels as well. The front axle I have just re drilled the mount that fit to the bulk head and refitted it but now the wheels are bout 0.5mm to high inside the arches, so I will have to do some more tinkering. Once I have had a go at the backend tonight I will post some more pictures. I have sprayed the first 2 coats of paint as well and I need to do some sanding.....oops.

keeping the 1303 motorised sound like a good plan, may be fit some LED`s lights as well to give it some more life. You could have the hazard lights flashing, that would be very life like.....;)

Early days for me in the modelling world. I'm still trying to concentrate on not gluing my fingers together.

• Like 2

No expert myself i just chop and glue stuff back together and hope for the best most of the time.

Here you can see the new holes i drilled for the front axle but i drilled them a tad to low.

20170322_194543_zpsbw0uc625.jpg

For the back i havent attach the shoxers for wheel mount so i could bend tge axles. Worked out better than the front.

20170322_194349_zpssa1eyhzq.jpg

Happy with the rear ride hight but thr front is still to low and a to wide. I think i will cut of the wheel mounts and remount then.

20170322_195539_zpsjnfw7utc.jpg

So cut the front wheel mount, refitted and drill hole for new wheel axles. This is like real modeling for me.....^_^

20170322_212053_zpsabav3xtt.jpg

Looking much better.

20170322_212115_zpsjn4absuo.jpg

Just for interest that metal rod the handle end of used sparkler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

Looking good. Same colour as my 1303...

Cool, same colour as my real bug back when I were a lad. 

The spray job look terrible in those pictures, a session with the wet and dry tonight I think.

• 3 years later...