Half and half P-47 in the Pacific

David M

Somewhere (possibly an extremely old IPMS USA Mag?) I saw photos and a drawing of a Thunderbolt with the front (or rear?) half in OD/Grey camo with the other half in natural metal.

Any and all leads would be very welcome...

Thanks and regards,

David M

Sydney, Straya

Hmmm...interesting scheme.  I thought it was spurious so did a bit of Googling and found this wartime image which seems to support the depictions above (although I doubt a bold red stripe would be used in the Pacific theatre - more likely it was Olive Green as per the patch to highlight the serial number):

DaringDottie-02_zpsf49e66f6.jpg

HTH,

Mark

Edited by mhaselden

Pretty sure it was yellow, though some reference have it as red, there seems to be a mix up between the 340th and 341st. Before the ID bands were added in the squadron colour, it was just the fin tip that was painted the squadron colour (as well as some other parts sometimes like the spinner).

Edited by Tbolt

When I was writing an quite large article about Neel Kearby and his Thunderbolts for our Polish periodic AeroPlan, I had to mention Tom Moore too, as a member of Kearby's flight on famous MoH dogfight. I always wondered about wives  and girlfriends personified on the aircraft noses. Here is Capt. Moore and his wife - 'Daring Dottie'.

Moore.jpg

Edited by greatgonzo

2 hours ago, JWM said:

The "white" on tail is different then white on star. How to interpretete  it? Is it yellow, by chance?

J-W

The white tail was a recognition marking so doubtful it is any other color. Probably either a trick of light or result of painting at different times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JWM said:

The "white" on tail is different then white on star. How to interpretete  it? Is it yellow, by chance?

J-W

Well white was standard for the 348th P-47 tails and wing leading edges. It can't be yellow as the serial number (and most likely the tail band) is yellow and is significantly lighter. With other known colours in that photo, it's hard to think that it was anything other than white, the only other colour I could really see it being is a very light grey, very close to white (close to weathered white anyway).

Using a colour picker in Photoshop shows the tail and insignia whites to be very close (always hard to match identical colours on photos), so if you are saying they are different by eye, be vary careful of the perception as opposed to what is actually there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Well white was standard for the 348th P-47 tails and wing leading edges. It can't be yellow as the serial number (and most likely the tail band) is yellow and is significantly lighter. With other known colours in that photo, it's hard to think that it was anything other than white, the only other colour I could really see it being is a very light grey, very close to white (close to weathered white anyway).

I agree that he fine difference in shade can be due to painting over olive drab just a single layer in a field warkshop, so this makes it a bit off-white. The insignia was painted in factory, so perhaps in much proper conditions...

Cheers

J-W