Railroad Water Crane (35567)

Mike

Railroad Water Crane (35567)

1:35 MiniArt via Creative Models

boxtop.jpg

We're on diorama fodder today, and if you saw my review the other week of the rail track here, this might be something of interest.  MiniArt's latest is a railroad water crane that trains used to fill up their water tanks from at the side of the track.  They were a common site around the railways of the world until Diesel and electric locomotives became more numerous, but have since almost disappeared.

sprue1.jpg

The kit arrives in a long custom-shaped end-opening box, and inside are three sprues in grey styrene, plus one in clear, and a small bundle of grey thread.  Construction information is covered on the back of the box, and begins with the support column, which is split vertically, and in its lower sections is conical.  A number of additional parts stack on top of the conical section, along with a couple of fine levers that are used in the operation of the crane.  The column is topped with a dome-shaped casting, from which a support wire stretches out to the feeder tube.  Two lamps attach to the top of the arm with clamps, both lanterns made up from two clear parts each that are painted transparent red.  The final section of the feeder arm is able to rotate around its end for fine-tuning of the nozzle, and this is held in place by a pin, so with careful gluing could be left mobile.  On the real thing the nozzle is moved using a pulley and rope, which is where the cord comes in.  Two lengths are used, one hanging down for the operator to pull upon, and another running from a transfer box to the end of the nozzle.  On the base is a cut-off valve set into a flat plate, which is bolted down onto a (presumably) concrete base.

Painting instructions are given throughout the build as numbers linked to a paint chart at the bottom of the instructions, which gives you options for AMMO, Vallejo, Testors, Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell, Mr Color, LifeColor and plain-old colour names, so you shouldn't be left scratching for the right shade.

Conclusion

An excellent addition to any railway based diorama.  I have one formulating in my mind already involving a King Tiger and the railway track, or perhaps it'll end up next to my BR52 someday.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif