Esci F-4 Phantom VX-4 "Evaluator's"

Hi folk's this will be the third Phantom I've attempted to build on BM the last two ended in disaster and my aircraft mojo has been missing

for a few week's it doesn't bode well but here goes!VX-4 is the Navy test and evaluation squadron and received the Phantom in 1960 and

used various mark's for thirty year's,many systems were tested during this time including pre service trials of the Sparrow,Sidewinder and

Pheonix missile's,Esci's kit is over thirty years old and has it's shortcoming's but should build well and all being well will look good in it's all

black scheme.Kit part's and cockpit started.

DSCN4762_zpsegvdeer5.jpg

DSCN4763_zpslqbqpb7b.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Looking good, those decals don't actually look bad!

Thank's Simon,once I tinker with them a little and the cockpit is fitted they will suffice.

Always had a soft spot for the ESCI F-4 since I built the VX-4 Bicentennial edition 30+ years ago. Got another one in the stash to see if I can do it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basilisk said:

I like how the seats are looking - will be a smashing cockpit when finished.

Cheers, Peter

Cheer's Peter not a great deal can be seen once the cockpit is closed so it should look busy enough for me,the seats are not

very accurate so it's making the best of what you have got.

Morning folk's I,ve moved this build on a little,the wheel wells have been sprayed as were the intake interior's and they are now

fitted,the wing's are now glued and drying and a dry fit shows a decent fit which is good news.

DSCN4798_zpsyxstas70.jpg

DSCN4799_zpsej09atmk.jpg

• Like 1

Hi folk's,main assembly done no filler at all which is testament to Esci considering the kit's age,that said the gloss black finish will

hide any imperfections anyway.I trawled through a load of photo's online and cannot find any with these aircraft carrying the outer

fuel tank's which is strange there are photos of the pylon's in place and painted white so I have cut them off and plan to add them

all the Sparrow and Sidewinder's will be fitted.Next job will be the priming of the airframe.

DSCN4800_zpsfhmxtsdo.jpg

• Like 2

Really fast and superb progress Steve. It really does look to go together very well.

ESCI did a good job, the box art is gorgeous too ;).

It's going to look pretty stunning in black. Great modelling, hope it's helping you get your wingy mojo back :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Evening folk's before I put the table away I finished cleaning up the last seams and primed the airframe in dark gray which showed no

gaps or other things needing to be done before glassing so as I'musing Humbrol rattle can for it I'm stuck now till the weather dries up

as I spray outside with such thing's,I will get the wheel's and weapons painted though.

DSCN4810_zpsqjksqw2d.jpg

• Like 1

T

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Missed this one, good to see another phantom and indeed another esci one built :) looking good so far

Thank's Stu,got the rest sprayed today which revealed no issues other than a large gap behind the forward U/C bay,I bought a set

of decals for a Gull gray/white scheme for this kit but surplus to needs now so anyone wants them drop me a PM

DSCN4812_zpsvpf4aqve.jpg

Morning folk's last couple of days of sunshine means I got the spraying done on the final coat of black,still a couple of coat's

to do to get it just right but looking good enough for me.

DSCN4813_zpsuptd22hl.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SimonT said:

Very shiny and looks an even finish. Are you painting outside?

I am Simon I prefer rattle cans for gloss finishes so the missus insist's outside only:whip:

Morning all,thought I better try a decal or two now the glossing finished it's going to be hair raising due to their age as they are very

brittle,I personally feel the  blue is too light but the point was to build this oldie so I will have to live with it.

DSCN4820_zpsc4it9des.jpg

• Like 1

Hi folk's well there was no putting of the Navy titles and serial's which I was dreading,after a bit of cursing they are on and before

they dried I cut out the areas around them,strange but I cannot find the VX-4 title shown on the instruction's and as the sheet is

still in one piece cannot see where they were on said sheet so look's like they will not make the final finish.

DSCN4822_zps5rtofqln.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Ha! A quick check on line of the kit shows the titles are not on the decal sheet for this boxing whether later boxing corrected this

I have no idea.