1/48 Eduard Bf109E-1 Weekend Edition + aftermarket

MAG

Like most of us I'm finding it difficult to stay on track with my modelling projects. Between work and family life the time is at premium and so I've signed up here a while ago to post some of my work and hopefully keep focus on a single project at a time :) lost cause I know but I shall give it a try nonetheless.

First up is a 1/48 Eduard Weekend Edition Bf109E-1 (84164).

It's not a new kit and it has it's issues from what I've been reading but it should build up fairly easily. I really just need it to get me back into the swing of things as I've had very little time on the bench in the last few months.

I've picked a few extra bits that should make it easier on the eye without overcomplicating the whole process:

Eduard PE dedicated to this model (49651)

Eduard Masks (EX439)

Brassin Wheels (648058)

A choice of either SUPERFABRIC or the new'ish on the market STEEL Seatbelts (49081 or 49098) - any suggestions will be welcome

Painting will be in the box art scheme using MRP paints. I want to experiment a little and use sliver primer as a base for scratches and weathering... we shall see 

All of it together:

Bf109E-1_001.jpg~original

Obligatory sprue shots:

Bf109E-1_002.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_003.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_004.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_005.jpg~original

Canopy parts are very nice and clear:

Bf109E-1_006.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_007.jpg~original

Minimalistic decals typical of weekend boxings:

Bf109E-1_008.jpg~original

Instructions - I've already marked the parts that I won't be using as I'm doing it closed up:

Bf109E-1_009.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_010.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_011.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_012.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_013.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_014.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_015.jpg~original

Superfabric vs Steelbelts - I got the first a while ago thinking that short of fiddling with buckles on standard fabric ones, they will look the best. Now that I've had a look and a little play on a side with the steel ones I'm quite keen to give them a try. They are super thin, the paint seems to hold on to them and even though they aren't fabric, they look nicer to the eye with the shadows printed, etc. I'll try and snap a better comparison photo between the too if anyone's interested. Any and all input, experiences, etc. will be most welcome!

Bf109E-1_016.jpg~original

A couple shots of the extra weekend PE - only after starting the build I managed to get a better light and shoot a macro photo so figured I will post it up here as well as it gives a better rendition of how the colours look.

Bf109E-1_017.jpg~original
Bf109E-1_018.jpg~original

Last but not least - brassin wheels 

Bf109E-1_019.jpg~original

And here is the "First Cut" shot  I've seen it done somewhere ages ago and quite like the idea - even though it's difficult to remember about it in the excitement of a new build.

Bf109E-1_020.jpg~original

I've started on the build a little already and will post up more photos soon.

Thanks,
Marek

Edited by MAG
  • Like 2

On with a little update.

Once some plastic was freed from sprues and cleaned up with Flory sanders the time has come for PE. I use Olfa AK-4 knife with a rounded blade and gently rock it over the PE till it clicks (which means it's cut).
I rest PE on and hold it with a Small Shop Cut Off set. PE is then glued with CA glue or thin Gator Glue:

Bf109E-1_021.jpg~original

Bf109E-1_022.jpg~original

Slowly taking shape:

Bf109E-1_023.jpg~original

Some reference material arrived in the meantime:

Bf109E-1_024.jpg~original

More parts were cleaned up and glued together with Mr Cement S:

Bf109E-1_025.jpg~original

Since I will need to install the tail wheel before joining fuselage halves - I've turned my attention to Eduard's resin wheels. They are truly gorgeous [smile]

Bf109E-1_019.jpg~original

They were washed first using a dishwashing liquid and warm water. Scrubbed with a hard toothbrush, rinsed under clean water and left to dry on a paper towel:

Bf109E-1_026.jpg~original

All of the parts were locked one by one in a Proxxon FMS 75 precision vice and cut off with a Tamiya Fine Craft Saw:

Bf109E-1_027.jpg~original

Bf109E-1_028.jpg~original

Wheel spokes were cleaned up by sanding them on a medium coarse sanding stick in a circular motion to make sure that they sand evenly:

Bf109E-1_029.jpg~original

Wheels were cleaned up with Alec scraper and tyre treads were restored using a Tamiya saw again:

Bf109E-1_030.jpg~original

Group photo - I use a separate (dry) hard toothbrush to brush off dust when sanding:

Bf109E-1_031.jpg~original

Wheel spokes were positioned with tweezers and glued with a minute amount of thin CA glue. Having used toothpicks for ages I used Flex-I-File CA applicator for the first time and I can't understand why I haven't pick one up sooner - absolutely amazing tool!

Bf109E-1_032.jpg~original

Bf109E-1_033.jpg~original

Bf109E-1_034.jpg~original

Finally I cleaned up the gunsight with the aim of replacing thick and completely out of scale glass with a piece of thin transparent styrene sheet. While looking for reference photos online I found out that Quickboost (Aires) makes a stunning resin replica of that gunsight (REVI C/12D) and decided to order one (there are actually 6 in a set in 1/48 scale) [smile]

Bf109E-1_035.jpg~original

Aires alternative (photo from Quickboost's website):
Bf109E-1_036.jpg~original

With all of the parts needed to close the fuselage ready I can't wait to get some paint on them [smile]

Please let me know which seat belts would you rather see used as I'm still not sure. Also do you like photos with black fuzz around (wheel close up) or are clean ones better? 

C&C welcome!

Thanks,
Marek

• Like 3

Hi Marek, 

This is one kit I've never really followed being built, now that I've got some Owl decals to use on mine I'll be following this.

As for the belts, I used some fabric ones on my G-6, it's a good job I've got some Optivisers, I'd have never managed without them. They certainly look the part when finished however so do the steel ones and are done I'm a fraction of the time it takes to build the fabric ones.

I must say I like the vice idea, as a lover of all things resin I'll be looking into treating myself to one of those. I know what you mean about using cocktail sticks for applying CA, ypu can never seem to get the correct amount of the stuff on them.to apply.

Your photos look fine to me.

Tim.

Excellent photography there, and the modelling itself is of the same level!

Having just tried steel-belts for the first time I can recommend them heartily. So much better than the old pre-painted ones, and more detailed too!