Polikarpov R-5 Limousine, Eastern Front, Winter '44

Hi,

Exactly month ago I started thread on construction of three models of Polikarpov R-5/R-Z family. 

I thought, that I am prepared to this work but soon it appeared, that I was deeply wrong. More is in mentioned above WiP part of Forum. The  surprise was how seriously one have to change shapes of R-Z by Special Hobby. Next two kits were Apex (Encore,....) R-5 and old vacu MPM R-5. 

Today I finished first of this set of three. This is Polikarpov R-5 (originaly light bomber and recce plane) converted to transport variant called often "Limousine". Polikarpov R-5 was a Soviet countrpartner of machines like Potez XXV, Breguet XiX perhap also British Hawker Hart family (but larger). The model is scratch conversion of R-5 by Apex. No part of kit is left nod modified. The fuselage is reshaped not only in rear part where closed canopy is installed but also the engine was reshaped. The wings and tail had added ribs and were reshaped folowing drawings given by M.Maslov in his monography of R-5/R-Z family. 

The painting scheme is taken from a photo published in this book. It is described there "R-5 transport, Eastern Front, winter 1944". I have found the same photo in Net described "Leningrad front, winter 1941-42. However the form of red stars (their out lines) sugget second half of war.

Below wing there are transport containers for two or three (I do not know it exactly) each. This eng. P.Grokhovskij design, originaly for 7 troops below each wing. The first flight was done with living 14 people as passangers...(instead of initially planned sand bobs ). Grokhovskij designed it for offensive tranport of troops, but I think that here it was use for evacuation of wounded.

Here is result:

poli DSC04609poli DSC04608poli DSC04606poli DSC04605poli DSC04604

poli DSC04603poli DSC04602

poli DSC04610

I hope to present next two in reasonable future... (Edit 2017: I did :) )

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 33

Well done, Brother... Especially the green & black areas visible under the white distemper camo look very convincing.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Gent, thank you for positive feedback. I appreciete it very much. 

43 minutes ago, Darby said:

Just wondering how the crew got the inflight meal to the container pods. I've never seen one of these before. Appreciate the effort gone into this one.

Darby, here is about the containers - wider but in Spanish

https://www.ecured.cu/Grojovski_G-61

and less info in English

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/g-61.html

Above  is about the maximum design for 14 people - but it gives imagination how people were crowding there

In Spanish text there is a photo named "the early design

Archivo:G-61 primero.jpg

however in Maslov's book the same photo is describet as "later variant" - I based on this photo (and on side drawing in Naslov book). Here opening is different. 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

A stunningly well built, and beautifully weathered model. I had no idea of the existence of this aircraft before, so thanks for both the entertainment and the education!

Ian

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents :)

Yesterday after some fight I maneged to glue in position the upper wing on second of my "Polikarpov triple R project" - the Spanish Natasha ("to be")....  

Cheers

J-W

A superb result J-W :thumbsup2: .

I love your always interesting subjects; this one really is quite special. The pods and other modifications for accuracy are superb, seamless. The weathered finish looks amazing, just like on photographs of real aircraft in those conditions.

A great build thread leading to a fantastic model.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I love your always interesting subjects; this one really is quite special. The pods and other modifications for accuracy are superb, seamless. The weathered finish looks amazing, just like on photographs of real aircraft in those conditions.

A great build thread leading to a fantastic model.

Many, many thanks, Tony. I was planning this build since some 10 years - what is not something very unique for me, like in cases of many other construction  I am collecting photos, drawings etc., sometimes for years.. Some other kits are lying in stash without even thinking on them - and suddently I do them! 

Polikarpov R5/Rz family is Soviet countrpartner of our favourite Breg XIX and Potez XXV. With this build I am approaching mentaly to work on them... Actually I already started some work on Bregs :)!

Cheers

J-W

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have missed this one BUT REALLY ....Before put any comment have read and followed first the WIP thread....

Really a titanic and very demanding work you have done to get this nice bird series,  Its amazing how you started and the high job demand you have to fulfill to obtain a nice selction of kits as this one depictec here!!! I was following the techniques involved and way of how you worked in them, its amazing work!!!

I  liked the way you have finised this bird and all the info you gave as the links with info,  specially the Cuban Ecured one....really amazing stories that can deserve to be related, and the end product that is showed here...an IMPRESSIVE ONE!!!!

Its so nice you have been filling the pending dreams com true after many years of planning, the time is NOW and Thank you very much for sharing this mastery with us!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

A wonderful model, Sir!

A real treat for the eyes.

It has 'the look', and in spades.

Thank you Sir for nice comments. Apprecieted.

2 hours ago, spiton said:

łoł !! Very interesting !!

Many thanks Spiton! Let me explain to those forum members who do not speak Polish yet ;) that in Polish "łoł" is traditional way to emphasize that we like someting :)

Cheers

J-W