Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

Thanks Patrice - waiting for an Airfix version is a good move! :)

Thanks Cookie - lucky shot! 

Thanks TT - you're welcome.

Avoiding the Nacelles - Part II

To be sanded when the CA is dry:

33071158280_11d249fcfb_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I remembered to re-paint the inside of the canopy:

32611546834_e18a7cff1e_z.jpg

before fitting it with BluFix and masking:

33415943466_af3a749cc5_z.jpg

Overdone do you think? Aha, I have a cunning plane for the framing (which is very thin and isn't very proud so doesn't lend itself to my usual technique). The cannon housing blended OK and I'm fiddling with the ejector slots:

33328470631_9d7a098643_z.jpg

Right. Nacelles. Later.

• Like 13

I have partly cleaned and dry-fitted the nacelles:

33077770050_a623586b3e_z.jpg

32617656824_f09a8a6baa_z.jpg

Not as bad as I'd thought. Of course they don't actually fit but they're not as bad as I'd thought.

When I get some kit bashing mojo back they will be beaten into submission.

• Like 9

Wow, those wing roots are pretty deep aren't they Ced? That last photo almost looks like a Flying Wing in it's own right! You sure are cracking the pace on this excellent episode of Hornetry.

I was tempted to make a joke about ceiling inspectors given your photos of same, but that would have gratuitously lowered the tone of your thread...

les-patterson.jpg

• Like 3

UUUhhhh, what a frightening picture. I think I should post an adequate one by chance. No one should be upset to go into therapy then again .

Otherwise it comes along very nice. Looking good!! :)

By the way, spring arrived here also, but I couldn't  leave my winter modus so far:

post2.jpg

• Like 10

Oh, this brings back some pleasant memories... Crack on, you are doing a fabulous job!

How about little squares and rectangles of black decal for the ejector slots?

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
Hamfisted ineprness
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

I have partly cleaned and dry-fitted the nacelles:

33077770050_a623586b3e_z.jpg

32617656824_f09a8a6baa_z.jpg

Not as bad as I'd thought. Of course they don't actually fit but they're not as bad as I'd thought.

When I get some kit bashing mojo back they will be beaten into submission.

Hi Ced

Waouh this confirm my previous statement I will wait until Airfix release one

And by the way :goodjob:

Patrice  

• Like 3

Thanks Johnny - the wash arrived today so I'm looking forward (gulp) to splashing it all over :)

Thanks Tony - ah, Sir Les Patterson, cultural attache. I miss him, but I guess that woman gets all the limelight nowadays. Slightly more 'P.C.'.

Thanks Benedikt - nice T-shirt! :D

Thanks Christer, Mick and Patrice - I'm building my mojo to attempt the wings soon. I think the underlying plastic isn't too bad, it's just hidden by flash and lumps of 'stuff'. I just need to 'do a Michelangelo' and shave away the bits that 'aren't Hornet'. Hopefully tomorrow.

12 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

How about little squares and rectangles of black decal for the ejector slots?

Ah Christian, you've been reading my mind! I read about these in the Internet Modeller review and I've been prodding and poking at them for a while. The kit has outlines but no depth and I've been trying various tools to get the effect I wanted, ending with one of those little screwdrivers:

33431055026_cc143d54dc_z.jpg

I'd sanded one away and put it back in the wrong place, now 'moved' and the wrong one filled with CA. We'll see what they look like later.

• Like 8

Ced, one should always watch your WIP threads: the little screwdriver! :doh: I have plenty of them, and never thought of them as modelling tools!

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - me neither! I'd tried scalpels, scribers, extra thin and a needle... and then I got lucky and remembered the little screwdriver set hidden in a drawer.

The slots are now a bit, er, rough but I'm prepared to call that 'weathering'. Next time I'll cut into the edges with a scalpel and use the screwdriver to chisel out the waste.

• Like 3

That Hornetry is coming along very handily now indeed Ced. I'm always flummoxed by those deceptively little jobs like carving those ejector chutes, I nearly always seem to slip or put too much pressure on the tool at the wrong angle and end up with a scrape down the fuselage. Yours looks positively refined by comparison. Well done sir.

:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 1

If I may suggest an approach for the future... BEFORE you join the fuselage halves, cut the slots out all the way through using smalls drills, scalpels, files, whatever. Then, to stop the seethrough look, cover the inside of the hole with a piece of thin plasticard. Et voila, no need to try to chisel out the bottom of a tiny hole to make it flat. That's how I'd do it, if I ever did it.

(Hindsight is always perfect, innit?)

• Like 7

Thanks Tony - I'm with you on fiddly job like this; I've reworked them a few times now, and had to remove one scratch, but this last attempt will stay until I can see what they look like painted.

Thanks Rob - good idea for next time (although they are tiny)

Onwards. The empennage has been cleaned up. Butt joints all round - oh joy. I know people recommend using rods and stuff but I never trust myself to get two holes in the same place on different parts so I'll just blunder on. I did use a tip I saw here about using dots of CA for early positioning - if it's wrong you can just snap the join - so the fin is on with that.

33363721521_3a52c331fa_z.jpg

I want to be able to line it up again when the tailplanes go on. Just to be sure. Another 'feature' of the kit is that the tailplanes are the same part:

33492018795_c80a64125f_z.jpg

so the actuator is wrong on one side. I did see a suggestion that one could be 'shaved off' but, when I tried it, I shaved it in half. Rats. Cleaned up though and re-scribed:

32678132113_33562b143f_z.jpg

When I was doing my pilot molding Leon had some success with Oyumaru and sprue soup so I though aha! Bill had used Plasticine so, mixing the two tips, I did this:

33363869891_6c3874d9ab_z.jpg

We'll see how that comes out when it's cured; I have no idea how long that will take so I'll just poke the excess from time to time.

The nacelles are progressing and I'm getting more confident. The doors have been fitted to the halves:

32678539613_8ed9d8dab8_z.jpg

Much easier to dry fit, sand and position the parts like that rather than trying to plop them in the gap later. They went together quite well except third from the left which will need a bit of sanding at the back. Warpage I think.

• Like 7

Very hard to tell from many Hornet pictures as the actuator housing is quite small, but it appears as if they were situated on upper left and lower right surfaces.  From their size it would be hard to fault you for their complete elimination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

so the actuator is wrong on one side

Sorry to report Ced that John & ejboyd5 are correct, the tailplanes are identical with the tab actuator fairing on the port upper & stbd lower surface. The Mosquito was the same.

On 15/03/2017 at 3:35 PM, CedB said:

I have a cunning plane for the framing

Quick heads up on the canopy framing if you aren't aware - there is no framing either side of the windscreen where the side screens join, it's a butt join. There's a frame all round the sliding section and a frame on the rear of the windscreen where the sliding canopy closes.

You're doing a great job with this kit, I have several that have been lovingly fondled and put back in the stash with a sigh as I've opted for an easier build!

• Like 4

Thanks John & ejboyd5 - the molding was hopeless, a bubble in the bottom (painful) so I'm going to weep, gently, and fit the remaining actuator on the starboard where it'll be visible on the ceiling.

Thanks Dave - good to know. I'll also take note on the canopy; the reference shot I have shows it quite well:

2915L.jpg

Although it looked as though there is a frame on the windscreen I'll take your advice and not frame that bit, just around the canopy closure.

I also plan to 'frame' the pointy bit at the back - is that right or is it a thin frame and that 'colour' comes from the internal?

In better news the nav lights are sanded roughly:

33493750575_169f7bfbb9_z.jpg

They have mask fluid on them now and will get a final polish at the end.

• Like 7

The apparent framing (note the different colour) around the front panes of the windscreen are the result of the sealing compound at the edges of the glass. A very thin, dark line might be appropriate I suppose.

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

Great progress, she's looking really good. For the actuator, you could make a little bibble like that from milliput or even the tip off an old missile. Go onnnnn you know you can do it. Easy work for the mighty Ced. :king:

good of luck with the wash. Not too much now y'hear. :lol:

johnny

• Like 1

Good progress so far , looks like a tough kit . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

33493750575_169f7bfbb9_z.jpg

They have mask fluid on them now and will get a final polish at the end.

Nice progress Ced. Wouldn't it be easier to have them polished before masking and painting? How do you polish them after painting without damaging the surrounding paint?

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1