Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

Gee, Ced, you've lost me already with the description of what your last cut is supposed to be...

I shall stick to Tamigawa for a while

JR

• Like 1

I've been waiting at Flickr for them to develop my photos, so I'm late, sorry Ced :(.

They've still not done my photos either. I'm going to start using Boots again; they give a free 126 film and flash cube with every order for bumper prints  :). I can pick up another bottle of Calamine lotion when I go there too :thumbsup2: .

Crikey you've picked a challenging one here Ced. When I entered the cinema no-one told me to prepare myself for a horror film :door: !

It's a lovely looking aircraft and we know that you won't let ithe kit beat you.  It's going to be interesting to see how you bash it into submission :fight:.

One quick observation; the photo of the aircraft that is linked earlier in the thread. The one you're Building. It's got, er, silver spinners :think:.

I'm sitting at the back; no-one at the front likes the smell of my Vimto :shrug: .

Good luck with it Ced, and enjoy!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Fantastic aircraft but Good gracious ced you can certainly pick them can't  you, peck on and good luck i'm sure you'll turn out a pearler but have a break next choose somthing by tamiya:P

Glynn

• Like 1

If you can't find those razor blades when you're out & about Ced there are plenty listed on e-bay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=single+edge+razor+blades&_sacat=0

Giorgio's mention of them actually reminded me that I'd bought some off there a few years back & had completely forgotten about them! And talking of forgetting things, I may well do the same with my SH Hornets...!!

Good fettling so far!

Keith

• Like 3

Ced,

Good luck!  I built this one years ago.  In fact, I built two, but the first was binned.  I recognise you are just going to build this as is, so fair enough.  However,...

Check the fit of the wings to the fuselage.  Due to the angle of the mounting plate butt joint, you end up with about 10degs dihedral on each side.  It's a pain to fix but it looks pretty unflyable without (although your mileage may differ).

Less importantly, perhaps, if you mount the tailplanes as they come, the elevator hinge line is not perpendicular to the fuse centreline.  If you're not bothered, fair enough, but at least you're forewarned.

If I remember correctly, there may be an issue with the fit of the canopy (windscreen), so that's probably worth a dry fit early doors.

A couple of photos:

DSCF4245_zps0c8969d4.jpg

DSCF4247_zpsbf37eddb.jpg

(Re the earlier post re spinner diameter, I cannibalised two Revell P-51B models for their spinners).  They were only £2.99 each at the time.

Have fun.

Regards

Martin

• Like 8

It looks like Special Hobby took your tagline of 'Bashing kits into submission' as a challenge ;)

I've seen you conquer worse. Well, as bad. Well, almost as bad. I would recommend that as a special treat for yourself when you have tamed this beast, you buy yourself a Tamiya Mosquito as Jean suggests... but I fear building a kit where the parts are really nicely moulded and appear to have been designed with the intention of actually sticking them together... well it might spoil you for some of the more unusual and interesting types* that are better served by the short-run end of the kit industry.

Anyway Buffers old boy, the telepathic support and sympathy of your Britmo Buddies goes forward with you, which is, of course, of no practical value whatsoever :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

* For the avoidance of doubt, I am certainly not suggesting that the Mosquito is not interesting.

• Like 5

Hell Ced, there're so many good builds on the go just now & I've so little time, but this is one I really don't want to miss out on, I'll try to drop by from time to time, that'll be me peering around the side of the pillar supporting the posh seats upstairs, I'm sure there is a proper name for them :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Looks like I am late to the party! and it's a proper Hornet, none of that undignified sucking and blowing.

The sprue shots look exactly the same as when I purchased a stack of them fresh from arrival at Rebell Hobby in Stockholm, (2003 or 4 IIRC). Happy days until getting home, gently opening the box with revered hush, (it is a Hornet after all) and seeing the plastic... I've seen worse, but it was still not particularly pleasant. Just test fit, test fit and test fit again and you will be fine!

Right, off to the back row with caramel popcorn and a ginger beer. Budge over!

Christian, Hornet nut in exiled, to africa...:badmood:

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Why on earth did they make the gun panel as a resin part? I suggest sticking some plasticard around the opening, to make tabs which should give you something to glue the resin part to.

Hi Simon :) I've no idea... just to make it more of a 'challenge' I guess? It may be that it's a 'conversion'; the kit seems to contain other parts that don't get used, possibly for a Sea Hornet?

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Definitely fun! :popcorn::Tasty:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

10 hours ago, jean said:

Gee, Ced, you've lost me already with the description of what your last cut is supposed to be...

I shall stick to Tamigawa for a while

JR

Thanks JR - hopefully all will become clear as the build progresses. My 'modelling mind' is busy working through the options for the cut. I'll post my 'workings' later!

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, since I've seen you successfully complete about a dozen unbuildable kits, I think your odds are good.

Thanks Cookie! I really must look at reviews before I buy something.

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've been waiting at Flickr for them to develop my photos, so I'm late, sorry Ced :(.

[snip]

One quick observation; the photo of the aircraft that is linked earlier in the thread. The one you're Building. It's got, er, silver spinners :think:.

[snip]

Good luck with it Ced, and enjoy!

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks TT - the recent 'downage' made me wonder how sites like Flickr work commercially... I guess it's people who actually want some 'hard copy'? I hope yours arrive soon :D

Don't worry about the spinners - I'm building the kit scheme (Hornet F.Mk.1 PX252 flown by Sqn. Ldr. ‘Wag’ Haw in 65 Sqn, Linton-on-Ouse in 1948) and the Tamiya red matches the chevrons on the decals quite nicely. 

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

Fantastic aircraft but Good gracious ced you can certainly pick them can't  you, peck on and good luck i'm sure you'll turn out a pearler but have a break next choose somthing by tamiya:P

Glynn

Thanks Glynn - I think I'll take your advice and choose something for a rest next. Probably.

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If you can't find those razor blades when you're out & about Ced there are plenty listed on e-bay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=single+edge+razor+blades&_sacat=0

Giorgio's mention of them actually reminded me that I'd bought some off there a few years back & had completely forgotten about them! And talking of forgetting things, I may well do the same with my SH Hornets...!!

Good fettling so far!

Keith

Thanks Keith - ordered! eBay does scare me a bit; as a modeller I'm used to paying a 'premium' for stuff and the listings look really cheap... then I realised that 'windscreen scrapers' was nothing to do with getting ice off the car (duh) and that these are used for removing paint from glass after paint spraying! I went for 100 with a free holder for under £3. Arriving Thursday (hopefully).

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice start Ced. Looks like a right mixed bag of a kit but I'm sure you'll make it sing. 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny - make it sing? What this song? Quite appropriate... "He does not compel us to go against our will, he just makes us willing to go"... bit like my kit choices of late :D

(Apologies if that song sticks in your head today)

7 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Ced,

Good luck!  I built this one years ago.  In fact, I built two, but the first was binned.  I recognise you are just going to build this as is, so fair enough.  However,...

Check the fit of the wings to the fuselage.  Due to the angle of the mounting plate butt joint, you end up with about 10degs dihedral on each side.  It's a pain to fix but it looks pretty unflyable without (although your mileage may differ).

Less importantly, perhaps, if you mount the tailplanes as they come, the elevator hinge line is not perpendicular to the fuse centreline.  If you're not bothered, fair enough, but at least you're forewarned.

If I remember correctly, there may be an issue with the fit of the canopy (windscreen), so that's probably worth a dry fit early doors.

(Re the earlier post re spinner diameter, I cannibalised two Revell P-51B models for their spinners).  They were only £2.99 each at the time.

Have fun.

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin :) Really appreciate the warnings. I'll watch out for the dihedral, not worry about the elevator hinges but the canopy...

33284391231_9bbf2b769d_z.jpg

Here? No. I'll check references but the scheme says the front is just before the wing roots so here:

33257015072_0efc90da5a_z.jpg

Another problem to ponder...

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

It looks like Special Hobby took your tagline of 'Bashing kits into submission' as a challenge ;)

I've seen you conquer worse. Well, as bad. Well, almost as bad. I would recommend that as a special treat for yourself when you have tamed this beast, you buy yourself a Tamiya Mosquito as Jean suggests... but I fear building a kit where the parts are really nicely moulded and appear to have been designed with the intention of actually sticking them together... well it might spoil you for some of the more unusual and interesting types* that are better served by the short-run end of the kit industry.

Anyway Buffers old boy, the telepathic support and sympathy of your Britmo Buddies goes forward with you, which is, of course, of no practical value whatsoever :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

* For the avoidance of doubt, I am certainly not suggesting that the Mosquito is not interesting.

Thanks Stew :D Great to have you along and thanks for the support. I do have a Tamiya Mossie in the stash... perhaps I should give myself a treat (although I'm not sure it'll match the one you're building!)

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hell Ced, there're so many good builds on the go just now & I've so little time, but this is one I really don't want to miss out on, I'll try to drop by from time to time, that'll be me peering around the side of the pillar supporting the posh seats upstairs, I'm sure there is a proper name for them :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve - it'll be nice to see you; drop in any time :) 

Just now, wyverns4 said:

Looks like I am late to the party! and it's a proper Hornet, none of that undignified sucking and blowing.

The sprue shots look exactly the same as when I purchased a stack of them fresh from arrival at Rebell Hobby in Stockholm. Happy days until getting home, gently opening the box with revered hush, (it is a Hornet after all) and seeing the plastic... I've seen worse, but it was still not particularly pleasant. Just test fit, test fit and test fit again and you will be fine!

Right, off to the back row with caramel popcorn and a ginger beer. Budge over!

Christian, Hornet nut in exiled, to africa...:badmood:

Thanks Christian and welcome!

Work may get in the way today (ho hum) so to keep you busy here's a video of 33 Sqn in Malaysia:

• Like 6

The gun insert is separate so they can get deep indents done from underneath, which they can't do without undercuts moulding on the sides. Given how dainty the insert needs to be, they probably found it easier to mould in resin and give you nice sharp edges. At least it isn't white metal!

I think I'm starting to like the Frog kit more.

Still, this is more fun for us! :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Thanks Adrian - makes sense :)

Thanks Giorgio - troublesome indeed! :) 

Just watched the video again and it confirms (assuming these are the same variant) that

- the boxes in the back are ammunition boxes (2:44)

- the props (4:10 and 4:18) do rotate starboard clockwise (right handed) and port anti-clockwise (left-handed). PropMaster at the ready.

Interesting pictures and diagram here.

Worried about that tail fillet? Wikipedia says:

On 28 February 1945, PX210, the first of 60 production F.1 aircraft was delivered to the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at RAF Boscombe Down.

Two further prototypes, PX230 and PX239, were completed for an all-weather night fighter, the Hornet NF.21. PX239, originally built as a Hornet F.20, was outfitted with power-operated folding wings and a large dorsal fillet, which was later retrofitted onto all production aircraft to comply with a new requirement to provide "feet off" directional stability with one engine stopped

• Like 2

I'll stand in the lighting booth (at the back of the hall) and shine the spotlight onto the general area of work. I'll try to keep the glare out of your eyes.

I had planned to get my copy of this kit out for this GB, but now I don't have to. Yay for me! (Mine's actually the 3/4 boxing, but whatevs.) I'll struggle to get my Hasegawa Mossie done in the allotted span, I think, so I can live vicariously here.

Off to a good start Ced, keep on rolling!

• Like 1

Thanks Rob and welcome :) Additional lighting will be appreciated, unless I mess up and then I'll give you the signal for some deep shadow...

Hi Keith - good question! Not only that but presumably one of them has to go blow, bang, squeeze, suck to make the prop go the other way around? Oh no, silly of me, they obviously just fitted it back to front :D

Fiddling. Here's the canopy fit OOB:

33415224855_ebcd719f8c_z.jpg

33032428340_35b3347f67_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

You can see I'd written 'SHIM' on the back to remind me not to forget something or other... bit of plastic inserted... no better, so I rubbed it off again. Then a brain wave (woo hoo brain) and I cut some grooves with the UMM scriber thingy:

33032533170_4908264a38_z.jpg

Note that I've found a use for the nasty tape - it just about holds if wrapped around. With that the fit is much better:

32572772964_cb87ec34f6_z.jpg

33259837212_2e4b9f509a_z.jpg

Remembering the rear bit slides so, in my world, a bit of a gap is allowed, that'll do.

Props. I need a stub on the hub for the PropMaster to work properly easily so I chopped off a couple of bits of rod to replace the kit parts:

33415453815_7305a0abc7_z.jpg

Bit too big so used some grey stuff instead. Now ready:

33287422611_363cfea1f7_z.jpg

• Like 7

Why have I never heard of this PropMaster device? There's going to be an enquiry, and someone had better come up with some answers!

The real question though... does it work? (And what do you do if you like 5 bladed Griffon or Centaurus-engined things?)

• Like 1

Hiding over in the group build area are we now?

So that's why it's so quiet in the normal place...

Hornet is such pretty aircraft, shame about the not so pretty model!

It looks like whatever you did to the canopy was the right thing to do. Keep at it!

• Like 1

Hi Rob - the PropMaster has appeared a couple of times in my past builds and I like it; especially for short run kits like this where there's little option. Available from UMM here and also available for 'other scales'. Sadly it doesn't do five-bladed props as I found when doing my Spit XIV.

Hi Christer and Benedikt - welcome! Glad to have you along.

I gathered my courage this afternoon to take on the resin. Water bath and wet paper towels all round. I very carefully cut out the tailwheel and then snapped it when pressing it onto a BluTak stick. Other bits went OK:

33290168321_337757b3f1.jpg 32604490533_670f79142a.jpg

While my courage was strong I tackled the nose. Dymo tape for the rear cut:

32604502553_927d7ab5f8_n.jpg 33418657875_0f33b5323b_n.jpg

Just down to the panel line. Then the trickier bit, cutting along the other line:

33263063282_462ee8fc52_n.jpg 33418734545_f348cd8771_n.jpg

A quick poke with a scalpel blade and it was off:

33418777815_880df6fb07_n.jpg 32576335484_03fb538843_n.jpg

Pretty chuffed with the fit

33263254252_9ca9418d4b_z.jpg

33378564946_08c5c0f59c_z.jpg

I'll clamp it down and then blend it after the fuselage is joined. Almost ready to do one of those "why the heck don't they have locating ledges" juggling acts:

32577791064_036962801a_z.jpg

remembering to leave out the IP until the black grey is painted.

• Like 10

Good work on the canopy, I was going to suggest some grooves for the windscreen but you beat me to it. 

Moved back into my man cave this afternoon, the trouble is that after 4 months I've forgotten where I put things. I spent quite a lot of time looking for my Dymo tape, then after I'd given up and gone away to do something else I remembered where it was. Doh!

The lower nose panel is looking good now, I would have probably just drilled holes in the original.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That looks lika fun! Perhaps not cutting directly to the finished level bit instead a little bit of play to sand away would be a fine approach?

Add some plastic tab on the inside of the fuselage  to have something to work as a guide while you're att it...

• Like 1

Thanks John - great minds and all that... pleased to hear you're back in the man cave, a certain sign that Spring is here.

I did consider drilling holes but that would have left me with a ragged edge that needed attention. This way, with careful, gentle sawing, it was done in one go, satisfying my lazy streak.

Thanks Christer - I like to avoid sanding if I can! Plastic tabs would be a good idea if I knew where to put them! In the end I decided to build up the cockpit and cope with any problems later (see below).

Thanks Giorgio - I'm with you; fiddly! It seems to me that the benefit of resin - allowing finely detailed parts - is also the problem; easily broken!

Cockpit. There's no indication of where things go, including how high the floor should be, so I decided I'd build up the cockpit a bit and see where that took me.

33422616695_9d3591e10d_n.jpg 33422805635_23998851a6_n.jpg

Up to this point:

32580554224_b8a12f4a28_z.jpg

When that's dry I'll dry fit and see if the rear shelf can also be fitted and, maybe, the whole thing fitted to one side of the fuselage before painting.

• Like 10