Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

I'd like to join in with this one please:

112217-13409-58-pristine.jpg

Built OOB (I've said that before) in the box scheme. I like the red chevrons and the silver finish, presumably painted so I've sourced some Tamiya Silver.

Lots of comments on the kit accuracy on the 'web but I'm just going to bash it, as usual.

Some pictures here.

Tim and Old thumper have already entered the Frog kit so I hope this will be a nice addition.

Some sprue shots:

33335393006_5526dd621e_z.jpg

so not the Frog moulds then. I think they're a bit old as there's some fuzziness around the edges:

33248153721_542fc7b095_z.jpg

but not too bad. Some film and PE:

33335419206_8c2b423305_z.jpg

nice clear canopy:

32993243230_48bea37b1f_z.jpg

and (gulp) some resin bits, including one block of tiny parts:

33220419612_6b1b813ed6_z.jpg

Looking forward to it!

• Like 15

Egad Ced! Resin, PE, and a whole slew of go-faster chevrons down that fuselage. I'll be watching from the cheap seats with a tangerine and bag of nuts. Good luck compadre!

Tony

• Like 1

Shove up Tony, make room for a fat one, & don't worry your health food is safe from me! I'll get the sausage butties in later!

Crack on Ced, I've got one or three of these to get to one day, so looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Keith

• Like 1

"Wag" Haw's aircraft, but the upper-wing chevrons (based on pre-war practice) didn't last long as he was told to get rid of them.  He was one of four RAF pilots awarded the Order of Lenin for the Hurricane operations from Murmansk, in his case for being the top scorer of the detachment, but was not allowed to wear the award postwar.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Just rushed over from the Firefly, a bit breathless. Not as young as I used to be.

Same here (on all accounts :winkgrin: )

:popcorn::beer:

Ciao

• Like 3

Welcome Simon, Tony, Keith, John, Giorgio and Adrian! Great to have you along :)

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

"Wag" Haw's aircraft, but the upper-wing chevrons (based on pre-war practice) didn't last long as he was told to get rid of them.  He was one of four RAF pilots awarded the Order of Lenin for the Hurricane operations from Murmansk, in his case for being the top scorer of the detachment, but was not allowed to wear the award postwar.

Welcome Graham and thanks for the extra info. There's no pilot in the kit so I will have to find a suitable 'Wag Haw' from the stash.

Off to a slow start. The Hornet had contra-rotating props which I like in real life but find scary in kits.

Fortunately the blades are different for each side and have little angled locators to go in the hubs.

Just got a Bad Panda from Flickr - uh oh... Mrs B has called me down for G&T as elder daughter is home. More later, sorry chaps!

• Like 3

Crikey, I've only just finished painting the utility room, sit down with a well earned red and some BM action and Ced is at it again. :pilot:looking forward to this one.

I have no snacks as such but ze vino is doing the trick. I'll take a comfy arm chair off to the side if that's ok.

Johnny Ramone. :guitar:

• Like 2

Welcome Johnny - nice to have you here (even if you forgot the snacks) :)

Right, where was I? (Copy / paste from above)

The Hornet had contra-rotating props which I like in real life but find scary in kits.

Fortunately the blades are different for each side and have little angled locators to go in the hubs.

33221052892_032fd2cebc_n.jpg 32533696044_a20bec46ff_n.jpg

10&11 different 'wedges' by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Unfortunately the sprues aren't numbered and I know from experience that, as you cut the parts off, it becomes impossible to use the diagram to get the things right. So, I'll do the props early and get them labelled.

I spoke too soon about the mold quality. The plastic is that soft(ish) stuff and there's some mold damage. There's also some badly designed connection to the sprue:

33339197176_58e2a69e72_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I can handle that, I have the technology (cue Steve Austin!). 

Cockpit bits removed and clean up started (on the floor) but you can see what the connection does to the parts. Yuk.

32565600223_8535d6b0e7_z.jpg

Resin boxes glued on too. Easy. i don't know why the resin worried me so much.

Ah, now I remember why the resin worried me so much. Here's the control column, a macro shot on the block:

33379876825_e83b25bd1e_z.jpg

Control column by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Oh har de har har. Scalpel, careful. Gentle cuts only and build them up. If you're not very careful...

32565751723_5a85d4f972_z.jpg

Bound to happen. After twenty minutes with tweezers and CA thin it's back:

32537370434_0dcc5b841f_z.jpg

it's now safely in a box. Any bets on it getting broken again?

• Like 10

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced, I use a sharp razor blade for the resin parts (especially the small ones) - less chance to be hard on them.

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I'll have to look out for one of those single edge blades; all we seem to have here now are 'super smooth five blade auto-power glide specials'.

Thanks Rob, Phil and DAG058 - welcome! :) 

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Cripes Ced, you do pick 'em :whistle: - however I trust as usual you will prove to be equal to the challenges...

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew :) I don't seem to be able to choose a painless kit of late - must be the stash. After this one I might treat myself to another HobbyBoss and put up with the wheels up issue.

Certainly SH aren't making this easy for anyone... the prop hubs are 'orrid:

33013794320_f164685678_z.jpg

It took me a while to realise that the holes should go right through as they fit on the blobs stubs that fit in the nacelles. These also form the rear of the spinner so need to be clean. Several tools later:

32583184093_7e4d4ac1cb_z.jpg

and I was able to see how those clever wedgy bits on the props work:

33269483341_ea9e010850_z.jpg

Er, they don't. I was hoping for an easy 'it goes in this way, the only way, and the pitch is perfect' sort of arrangement but no such luck. Possibly cause by the square blade ends:

32554493474_7ff16b10ce_z.jpg

Same by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

which seem to be the same on both sides.

Lost patience now. I may come back later.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I'll have to look out for one of those single edge blades; all we seem to have here now are 'super smooth five blade auto-power glide specials'.

Took me a while to find them in the nearest supermarket - even a package of ten is so small compared to the HUGE space taken by all the variants of those five blades you mentioned ... :frantic: 

Great job on those hubs, very neat! :clap: Too bad they don't help much for the blade pitch, but knowing, you'll sort it out in no time :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Hi Ced,

so this is where you were hiding!

Why, Oh why, aren't you doing a Tamiya Mosquito, like all respectable gents are busy doing? Until now, I had never seen a SH kit looking so rough... Was it one of their early attempts?

As usual, there will be tense moments, drama even, the odd moment of levity (but not too much), and we are all going to have fun watching you putting this kit through its pace...

Have a lot of fun, and be gentle on the G & T!

JR

• Like 2

Afraid this kit is not one of SH's better efforts, in fact my nominee for their worst, perhaps because I so wanted them to get it right .  Before you get too far down the line, suggest you decide what you are going to do about the spinners: IIRC they are too small for the nacelle fronts.  FROG ones are the right diameter but maybe a bit crude.

Good luck!  I'll be watching with interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Took me a while to find them in the nearest supermarket - even a package of ten is so small compared to the HUGE space taken by all the variants of those five blades you mentioned ... :frantic: 

Great job on those hubs, very neat! :clap: Too bad they don't help much for the blade pitch, but knowing, you'll sort it out in no time :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I'll have a look for some blades next time I'm out. 

I think I'll give up on the 'clever' kit bits on the props and just use the famous ProMaster. I found a build article on InternetModeller and that gives details of the props. It also warns about the wings, the gun housing, the radiators....

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Ced,

so this is where you were hiding!

Why, Oh why, aren't you doing a Tamiya Mosquito, like all respectable gents are busy doing? Until now, I had never seen a SH kit looking so rough... Was it one of their early attempts?

As usual, there will be tense moments, drama even, the odd moment of levity (but not too much), and we are all going to have fun watching you putting this kit through its pace...

Have a lot of fun, and be gentle on the G & T!

JR

Hi JR and welcome :) I have a Tamiya Mossie in the stash... tempting! I hope you enjoy this thread but I won't be promising to be gentle on the G&T! :) 

37 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

After and old Airfix build, you're going back to the glory of conquering another 'unbuildable' kit. You are unstoppable Ced.

Hi Cookie, pleased to have you along :) Unbuildable? Now you tell me :weep: 

37 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Afraid this kit is not one of SH's better efforts, in fact my nominee for their worst, perhaps because I so wanted them to get it right .  Before you get too far down the line, suggest you decide what you are going to do about the spinners: IIRC they are too small for the nacelle fronts.  FROG ones are the right diameter but maybe a bit crude.

Good luck!  I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks Nick and welcome :) The Internet Modeller article suggests it might be 'from' the Classic Airframes kit. I panicked when you mentioned the spinner so I rushed off to check them:

33402250565_d39b21bf6e_z.jpg

Not too bad? Close enough for me I think, especially when the nacelles are properly cleaned up and glued.

36 minutes ago, HP42 said:

Late in to this one, barely caught the Firefly! :popcorn:

Hi Phil and welcome :)

It looks like there's going to be a lot of cleaning up on this one so I'm doing bits to break the trim / sand / chisel boredom. As you can see above the hubs and spinners have been painted:

33361618466_64da7d505a_z.jpg

The one on the left's still wet, don't worry. The Internet Modeller article says the wings are a problem so I had a look at those:

33401936305_b75134fe36_z.jpg

and separated them from the sprue with a hammer and chisel - just joking, but they're a mess eh? 

Here's another interesting bit:

32559350484_0dd75f802e_z.jpg

33246564392_2a54f58be0_z.jpg

See how thin it is at the front? And the 'step' on the instructions? The resin is the same size as the scribing on the fuselage so I need to cut down at the back but ALONG the sides to leave a step to glue the resin to. That should be, er, fun?

• Like 11

Why on earth did they make the gun panel as a resin part? I suggest sticking some plasticard around the opening, to make tabs which should give you something to glue the resin part to.

• Like 1