The EDSG #2 Maureen's Barracuda

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

By George what a great result young fella me lad and a fitting homage to Maureen and the ATA.. I must apologise for not interjecting/interrupting/castigating/praising your erstwhile efforts during development  but Darling and I have been extremely busy dealing with/causing/having foreign affairs which have sadly taken us away from 'this place'. Lovely work on the flappage and donk on this Fairey's most enigmatic aerial contrivance to issue forth from Heaton Chapel, (well OK, since the last one).....well done that man. 

Many thanks for that kind encomium mon general. :thumbsup2: It is of course quite correct that a grateful nation should have first call upon your services...

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Fantastic job Tony and a double thumbs up from me :thumbsup: Have some have remarked above, it is quite a unique and quintessentially British contraption, very Heath Robinson. I won't go into each individual aspect of the build I like cos I'd be here all week. Particular highlights are Maureen (obviously), the extra detailing - especially the folding wing which gives it a sense of dynamism, the canopy and engine, and pretty much everything else. Oh yeh, the paint job aint bade either ;). First rate job and a thoroughly enjoyable enlightening build. Encore encore ....

Cheers for those most cheering comments Tomo! Fret not, there will be more to follow in a similarly deranged vein. Just to keep things rolling, the spring light was so vibrant earlier that I dashed out for a quick FAA 'Generations' photoshoot:

32992281540_a76df1cc7d_c.jpg

33374836575_8b14439ef2_c.jpg

32992281930_e23e53c64e_c.jpg

If the Barra looks a bit 'tail-down' it's because somewhere between front door and drive I managed to brush the tail-wheel off, so some light repairs in order...

• Like 9

Absolutely superb Tony, all that very hard work, attention to the smallest details, and even major corrective surgery has paid off in spades!

Real tribute to the chaps at Fairey and the brave souls that had to crew and look after the Barracuda.

• Like 1

Having found this rfi so late, (relatively), I really can't think of anything else to add. It's all been said! A fantastic build, highly entertaining build log, and a model that does credit to your skills, an unsung aircraft, and to the memory of Maureen and all her fellow ATA pilots.

Congrats!

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

the chaps at Fairey and the brave souls that had to crew and look after the Barracuda.

Hear hear! And thanks for those kind words James.

13 hours ago, Viking said:

Wow, a really breathtaking model

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic build Tony, a true Britmodeller epic.

Hat's off to Maureen.

John, Cookie, my thanks to you both for that gents. I may take a rest from the figure modelling for a bit however...:D

10 hours ago, hendie said:

fantastic build and a thoroughly entertaining thread to follow. Classic work with some really ingenious methods thrown in to educate us

Cheers hendie. :thumbsup2: As to dignifying my modelling with an informing methodology, it's doubtless to the benefit of modern medicine that I never became a surgeon.

Mater artium necessitas...

10 hours ago, celt said:

Next to the Hurricane the Barracuda is my fave aircraft,well tidy mun.:worthy:

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Outstanding workmanship on show here:worthy:

Thank-you for that celt and Steve, glad you enjoyed joyed it. :thumbsup2:

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Having found this rfi so late, (relatively), I really can't think of anything else to add. It's all been said! A fantastic build, highly entertaining build log, and a model that does credit to your skills, an unsung aircraft, and to the memory of Maureen and all her fellow ATA pilots.

Much obliged Ian. Having spent part of my childhood near Yeovilton, I feel a certain ancestral affection for the FAA, an under-regarded service at times in the historical record,  in a similar manner to  the ATA. Glad you enjoyed this escapade.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Fabulous! I feel like my favourite TV series has just ended though. I will miss the thread!

It's been a pleasure having you along Adrian. :thumbsup2:

Tony,

I'm going to be honest and say that, at one or two stages of my dipping in and out of the WIP thread, I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. 

Now that it's done, however, the final result really is superb - it has all come together beautifully and looks spot on for a well used Fleet Air Arm machine.

The extra work to show off the engine, the wing fold and of course Maureen has created something really special.

You have demonstrated a number of techniques and applied real skill - thank you for sharing with us and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Nick.

• Like 1

Excellent build! I did have reservations early on about what you wanted to do with the wing fold, but you have pulled it off. Very entertaining build and looking forward to the next build, a Boxcar in EDSG and folding wings? Smashing stuff (or am I getting threads confused!)

Bob

• Like 1

On 12/03/2017 at 6:36 PM, Nickthebrief said:

Tony,

I'm going to be honest and say that, at one or two stages of my dipping in and out of the WIP thread, I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. 

Now that it's done, however, the final result really is superb - it has all come together beautifully and looks spot on for a well used Fleet Air Arm machine.

The extra work to show off the engine, the wing fold and of course Maureen has created something really special.

You have demonstrated a number of techniques and applied real skill - thank you for sharing with us and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Many thanks for those generous comments Nick.

On 12/03/2017 at 10:19 PM, SkippyNZ said:

Stunning build, thank you!

On 13/03/2017 at 0:53 AM, SJLR_1 said:

Excellent looking Barracuda! :clap2::clap2:

Cheers for that you two!

On 13/03/2017 at 2:35 PM, moaning dolphin said:

Excellent build! I did have reservations early on about what you wanted to do with the wing fold, but you have pulled it off. Very entertaining build and looking forward to the next build, a Boxcar in EDSG and folding wings? Smashing stuff (or am I getting threads confused!)

Fanks Bob. I can't promise a rare wingfold variations of the '19, but can dangle the carrot of some hot internal action...

On 13/03/2017 at 5:46 PM, Jaffajake said:

Lovely work. The folding wing shows great workmanship. 

Much obliged my man.

very nice tony,, love the folded wing,and the weathering is top drawer,i don't think you'll have a problem with the alclad finish your doing soon with painting like that, good job sir 

glynn

swordfish looks good too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, Jaffa, Glynn, Phil: My thanks for your kind comments lads. Hopefully it'll inspire others to have a stab at what is a fine little kit fro SH.

Tony